what to do...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by clarnet73, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    I'm never sure where to put this one in. :)

    Bear with me, I've been MIA for a while.

    I REALLY want to go back to public school... but the interviews I've had this year have been less than productive. HOWEVER, it's getting to be that registration/finalizing numbers/passing budget time, so more classrooms are bound to open up. (Especially the state-funded PreK that school districts can't actually hire for until the budget gets finalized)

    I have a job next year, teaching at the same place I am this year. My co-teacher who I didn't mesh at ALL with is moving up with the kids, I'm staying put, and they've hired a new co-teacher, who I think I can get along with. They've promised me better hours if I return.

    But I really want public school!

    My principal/director wants a firm commitment in writing by Friday about what I'm doing next year, so she knows whether she has to hire a second teacher or not. I hate to leave what's going to be a better situation... but I don't want to give up a chance to go public... but I also don't want to quit and then NOT find something!

    What do I do!?!?!
     
  2.  
  3. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 7, 2007

    You play the "what's the worst that can happen?" game.

    If you stay where you are, what's the worst that can happen? You defer your dream of teaching in a public school for another year. You work with an aide who is a better fit than last year's....

    If you don't decide to stay, what's the worst that can happen? You might not find a job for this year... then what? Would you consider subbing? Would you make enough to get by? What's the job outlook where you are? If subbing isn't the answer, is there another type of job you would consider for the year? Could you get a job as an aide? Or would that make you crazy, knowing you gave up a class of your own?


    Sorry, no answers, just lots of questions. good luck in your decision.
     
  4. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    Alice, that's part of the problem. The job market around here is REALLY tight, far more people that want jobs than that have them available. I REALLY need to be covered by health insurance, so subbing isn't an option... and very few districts in the area include benefits with their aide positions.
     
  5. JaimeMarie

    JaimeMarie Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Messages:
    10,120
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    Do you have a contract with the school you are at now? Does it say how much notice you have to give? It sounds like the director just wants to bully you into staying. BTW where have you been?
     
  6. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    It's not a contract per sea, but we pretty much agree to stay for the year and the summer if we agree to take the class... for consistency for the kids and stuff. She says people CAN leave, but she's not very happy about it. I can understand the reasoning... the kids get SO attached. If I agree to stay, I'm going to stay for the year.

    I've been MIA, mostly getting intimidated by the shear volume of new posts I'll feel compelled to read and catch up on if I log on. But I've missed you guys a LOT so I'm back :)
     
  7. Aliceacc

    Aliceacc Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    27,534
    Likes Received:
    6

    Aug 7, 2007


    So it sounds to me as though a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

    In May or June I might say "go for it." But school starts soon. In your position, I think I would remain in my current job.
     
  8. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Aug 7, 2007

    First off, welcome back! We've missed you!

    I agree with Alice, once again. School starts soon and if you haven't found a public school job yet, it says to me that you are meant to be at your school for one more year. That being said, I'd start a search for jobs early, like in January or February- start sending letters of interest and resumes so they keep you in mind. You've had many interviews this summer which will give you more experience for next summer. But I just don't think it sounds like you can do well without this job if a public school job doesn't open up. I'd stick with it, even though its not what you hoped would happen.
     
  9. Upsadaisy

    Upsadaisy Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2002
    Messages:
    18,938
    Likes Received:
    682

    Aug 7, 2007

    Hi clarnet. Glad you're back. Does school start before or after Labor Day by you?

    Why not give it a chance and try and make a great situation with your new coworker? At least it will be different than the past year.
     
  10. 100%Canadian

    100%Canadian Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    246
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    Sticking with what you've got is the safe bet for now. It's hard to predict when the job market will change. If you want public more and can afford to take the risk financially, then go for it. Otherwise, it's better to err on the side of caution.
     
  11. JenL

    JenL Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    since subbing isn't an option it sounds like if you give up your job and then don't get hired...you are just out of luck.
    so for you i think you should stay where you are and then search search search next spring in hopes of getting hired before the summer.
    good luck:)
     
  12. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2007

    Thanks, guys. I'm really torn... I still have to live at home working where I am because I don't make enough to cover expenses if I move out. I REALLY want to move out, but I can only do that if I get a public school job.

    There are a TON of districts that aren't hiring yet because the state hasn't passed the budget. And, the rate they're going, may or may not actually do so before school starts. Just because the gov. has PROMISED 4-million+ more for education and funding of his "Preschool For All" program doesn't actually mean the money is going to appear.

    'daisy, school starts for our program 8/27, most public schools are starting right about that time.
     
  13. kimrandy1

    kimrandy1 Enthusiast

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    Messages:
    2,181
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 8, 2007

    That's a tough one. I'm at school right now, and we are suddenly looking at very big classes in K (had 12 new students register since Monday!). If we get 3 more, we'll get a new position. That happens a lot. I guarantee we'll get three more, most likely by the end of the week. I think that's fairly common in K and PK. Parents wait until end of summer to register...so a lot more positions will become available in the next two weeks.

    I'd keep your job for now, but I'd also keep the idea in your head that if you find another, you CAN leave. Your director can't stop you. Maybe she'll be unhappy about it....but that's really not your problem. If you get a new job, it would be within the next 2 weeks, before your academic year starts, and you wouldn't have time to bond with the kids yet. And if the job market is really so tight, the director should be able to replace you in a heartbeat.
    Kim
     
  14. clarnet73

    clarnet73 Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2002
    Messages:
    6,123
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2007

    Thanks, Kim and everybody else.

    I think I've decided what I'm going to do. My name and application are in to pretty much every district in a 3-county radius (that's a LOT of applications). What I'm going to tell my director is that I'm not ACTIVELY applying to any more positions, but that if someone DOES want to interview me, I can't in good conscience turn them down. But for the time being, I'm here and planning on a good school year.

    Or something to that effect. I feel like I owe it to everybody to be perfectly honest, but I don't want to give up something I'm guaranteed for something not so stable.

    On the other hand, I just the tentative list for next year (still somewhat dependent on which kids get potty trained in the next 2 weeks...) and it looks AWESOME. Some really GREAT kids and not the stinkers I have this year. ;)
     
  15. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Aug 10, 2007

    I think you made a good choice, clarnet:) Let us know how things go!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 264 (members: 0, guests: 235, robots: 29)
test