What to do

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Jul 17, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I've posted some of this before, but I don't know where to start. I have a job-that part is definite. It's 3rd grade, but if enrollment is low I might have to go to another school. Registration isn't until August 15th. I want to start planning everything right now. All I think about every day is what I can buy and what I can do for my class.

I don't know much about their curriculum or anything. I just moved from Missouri so I have 8 weeks of experience in 2nd grade in the same district. (My other 8 weeks were in a junior high and high school choir class.)

I just need something to do before I go crazy. Since I can't do much about the curriculum should I just work on discipline, class rules, management-that kind of stuff? I need something! I think my husband is going to hate me by the time school starts!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Are you a first year teacher?

One thing that really helped me last summer before my first year was reading "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong. I used the book to come up with tentative policies regarding discipline and grading and with a classroom management plan.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

Yes, it's my first year. I had to read that book for one of my classes in college, but I think I sold it back! They told us to keep it but I wanted the money and didn't think I'd ever use it! Who knows though, maybe it's sitting at home, at my parent's house. I've had to come up with all of those policies for college classes, but I feel like I just put together a bunch of crap to get a grade. Now I just need to put more effort into it. I just wish I knew more of what was going on.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Oh, you should definitely find a copy of that book. I found that it took a very realistic and practical approach about most topics.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

If you know the district, I'm guessing you should be able to get an idea of the curriculum.

Even if all you have is general topic areas (for example, my son just did units on China & Mexico in 3rd grade)... that would at least get you started. You could start to think about projects or whatever.

Hit the school website (do the teachers have their own pages?) and call the district office this morning.

7. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I'm pretty much in the same position and it is driving me insane!

I have been going over and over Harry Wong's book and I find new ideas each time I do. I feel very confident in being able to plan the curriculum (even though I wish I could get a head start on things!).

My biggest thing I'm doing now (taking everyone's advice from the board!) is thinking about procedures and how I want things to run. From walking in the door in the morning, sharpening pencils, how I will handle homework, bathroom breaks, etc. Also, my behavior management plan.

I'm also tentatively planning activities for the first day or two of school. (You can tweak these to work for almost any grade.) Good luck!

8. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Sounds like you're on the right track to start thinking about procedures, discipline, classroom set up (if you have seen it). I would definately look over the curiculum. Good Luck with everything!