What to do??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Newkindermom, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

I have posted before about a terrible classroom situation I am in this year.. I am an aide working with a teacher who has very poor classroom management, is clearly not doing any lesson planning, and the classroom is just (IMO) a very unhappy place to be. There are constant disruptions, kids loudly talking over her "lessons", fooling around, and just general disorder (very messy room). It is not an urban environment, it's actually a quiet suburban area and I honestly can't believe this is going on here.
    I have started looking for other jobs because I honestly can't take a classroom environment like this. But I just wonder am I crazy to be so put out by this? How would you cope or get by? Would you let an administrator know?
    I feel like everyone in the school is kind of turning a blind eye to the room and makes excuses for this "veteran" teacher. If this was a new teacher he/she would not be returning... I feel like there are a room full of students not learning at all! It's really not fair.
    I want to help as much as I can... But I'm not the one in charge and feel limited in what I can do to better the environment.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2016

1. You could drop off an anonymous note to the admins that a pop in observation might be a good idea.
    2. You can find a new job.
    3. You can just deal with it until the end of the school year then find a new job.
    4. You can repeat "not my circus, not my monkeys" over and over since it is not your responsibility.

Backroads likes this.
  4. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Oct 20, 2016

What is your role? What grade is this? Are there multiple periods this is occurring?

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2016

6. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Oct 20, 2016

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2016

She works with a student with autism in that class I believe. I think I'm remembering right.

Newkindermom likes this.
  8. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 20, 2016

Yes that's right! I feel bad going on and on, but as an educator I am very bothered by this and can't let it go. If it was just the behavior piece, it would be a little more understandable... If that was a weakness, but to also not really even be teaching? I feel like this is concerning...

9. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Oct 23, 2016

Newkindermom,
    I understand your frustration because I have been where you are. I taught for 4 years and then left because the school I was in was extremely stressful. I took 2 years off and then became in class support for 3.5 years for students on the spectrum and students with behavior issues. There were many times I felt that the teacher could be doing things differently but quickly learned that my viewpoint was not always appreciated. This year I am teaching 6th grade (I was k-5 previously) and I have 3 classes. Two of my classes are amazing, they are a blast to be with. My third group is completely differently, I have 31 students and almost half are special education or 504 so the dynamics are completely different. I have in-class support but they are completely overwhelmed and have already shut down and it is only the 9th week of school. I have struggled with this class since the beginning of school and have even had the principal spend the entire day with all of my students to see if he could offer suggestions for that class. He told me that he was exhausted after spending 2.5 hours with that group and he told me I was doing an awesome job with them.
    Maybe the teacher that you are working with has asked for help or they are simply overwhelmed by the needs of their students this year. I would ask the teacher how I could help her the most effectively. She may not realize that others see her room as chaos so an offer to help may be what she needs.