What to do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Apr 16, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Apr 16, 2015

This has been my first year teaching. I have LOVED my school, but it's an hour away and hubby and I just don't really want to move there. With traffic is it often a little over an hour.

I have thrown out some apps for next years at closer schools. Today I got a call for an interview next week. It's a brand new school! Next year will be the first year it is open. The thing is, it's about 35-40 minutes away. While this saves about 40 minutes total off my drive daily, I'm a little concerned about if it would be a good career move or if I should stay put.

The mileage is better. About 25 miles to 37 each way. I want to hold out for something closer but at the same time, who knows when that will open up?

3. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 16, 2015

I say it can't hurt to go to the interview. You don't not have to accept the job, if they even offer. It'll give you an opportunity to feel out the school and see if it's even a place you like. You can always continue to put in for other positions.

My district doesn't usually post positions until May.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 16, 2015

Ditto. Cutting your commute by about half is not bad. Interview - you don't have to sign anything in blood to talk. Most people improve their interviewing skill set with experience. This may or may not be the job of your dreams, so consider it good practice, no matter what.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 16, 2015

To play Devil's Advocate though, if you were to accept the job, you'd really need to stay there for a couple years. Otherwise, you start looking like a job-hopper. You might need to decide if it would be better to hold out for best fit (and potentially keep your current commute for another school year), or if you can settle (and get your commute halved, but still not ideal, for three or four years).

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 17, 2015

I also see nothing wrong with an interview, but if the new place offers a job and it seems the better fit, commit for a few years!

7. grooup

grooup New Member

Apr 17, 2015

8. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Apr 17, 2015

Thanks everyone!!!! I definitely know that if I commit I need to stay for a while. I guess I'll just see how it goes.

9. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Apr 20, 2015

As others have said, go for the interview; it can't hurt! Good luck!!