What to do?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by missythemom, Nov 6, 2011.

1. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Nov 6, 2011

Hi everyone! I am currently on sub lists for a few schools in my area and am awaiting a call to go to work. My question is, what do you do if you have no clue what the layout of the school is? I am a little concerned about getting my kids to their specials and so on when I do not know where anything is. I asked about a floor plan being available and one school did say that could be arranged. I guess I am curious as to what you all do when you are presented with a situation where you are basically thrown into a position where you aren't familiar with your surroundings. Thanks in advance for any replies.:)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2011

Kids generally know the way to specialS, the lunchroom, etc. Many classroom teachers leave sub folders in their rooms outlining class rules and procedures, fire drill instructions, allergy alerts and such. Also, teachers in nearby rooms to where you are subbing can mostly be relied upon for answering any questions you may have.

4. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Nov 6, 2011

Like czacza said, in my experience the students usually know where to go. In sub plans the teacher sometimes leaves directions, but they often write "students can show you where to go." If I did have any questions or preferred to know where to go in advance, I would usually pop my head into a nearby teacher's room, introduce myself and ask. And actually, if there are good grade partners, they will usually pop into your room and offer help before you even ask!

Good luck with subbing! You'll be fine!

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 6, 2011

Also, if you get to the school early enough before the kids show up (or even if/when you have prep), take a walk around the building.

6. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 7, 2011

They should give you a map when you check in. Beyond that, the kids know their way around, just ask them.

7. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

Thanks everyone :)