What to do???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, Jun 25, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 25, 2010

Most of you know that I quit my private school job and moving states. I have two opportunities for the fall: Subbing or being an assistant. The assistant job is more money plus benefits, and as we all know, the subbing job is not much money (about 90$ a day) no benefits, no holidays, etc. My issue is that does it look poorly for me to take an assistant position after being a department head and lead teacher? I am right now working on state certification (was in private, and it wasn't required) and should be finished next summer. I need the money (don't we all??) but I don't want to take the job if it is going to hurt my chances of getting a head teacher position when I am able. Will people look at my resume and say, wow, from department head to assistant! what happened?!?!?

3. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jun 26, 2010

In this economy, I don't think you should worry about what future empoyers might say about the job change. I think the assistant job would open doors for you. With your experience, you will have a chance to assist in an effective manner. That's a good thing! I had an inclusion teacher a couple of years ago and he did absoulutely nothing. I often wondered why he was even being paid to be a teacher. Change can be a little unnerving, but look at it in a postive way. Go for the assistant job and wait patiently for good things to come your way. Good luck!

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 26, 2010

I would take the assistant job! I don't think employers would look poorly on it at all. First of all it will show that you are a team payer. It shows that you don't think you are too good to be an assistant. Also you will get to know the kids and the staff and be able to build a foundation of experiences which will be important when interviewing next year. If you are looking at staying at that school and getting a teaching job you should use this year as an opportunity to get involved in school activities. That way if a position opens you have ingratiated yourself in the school. good luck! :hugs:

5. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

In my area, I'm noticing more assistants, as compared to substitutes, moving on to teaching positions.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2010

:yeahthat: I would take the assistant job.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

I agree with all of the other posters...take the assistant job. It's a great way to get your foot in the door. We have a wodnerful lady at our school who is certified, but just wanted to work as an assistant to have more time with her family. For whatever reason, she didn't get hired although she's excellent. She went to work as an aide in the cafeteria and has already been hired as an assistant for this year. People spoke VERY highly of her for being willing to help our school in whatever capacity she could.

8. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

Definitely take the aide job, it's a foot in the door. Good luck in making your decision!

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 26, 2010

In this economic state, any job is a winner. As previously stated, you can learn a lot by being the second in command.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2010

Assistant. You can blow them away with your experience and abilities! :)

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2010

assistant. We have had three assistants move into teaching positions (at other schools, but referred by our P) just this year. You can't live without benefits, either.

12. hac711

hac711 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Thanks! I was leaning towards that, but was so uncertain that I just kept looking the numbers and second guessing myself constantly. The support is really appreciated! Guess I know what to do now! It is such a weight off my shoulders, you wouldn't believe!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 27, 2010

We had a young lady work as an assistant this year and then, was the first hired when job season opened up. It was her way of getting her foot in the door. And that is how you need to look at it. I would make sure that your P knows that this is temporary until you can find a teaching position. I would not stop looking though. With your qualifications, something might just open up for you. :rolleyes:

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2010

If you have to support yourself you really need to take the higher paying job with benefits.

15. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

I agree with those who suggest taking the assistant's job. It seems that employers in all fields these days don't really care about how a candidate's record looks. I've seen districts hire assistant principals who have been in four different school districts in six years without even blinking. I don't understand it myself, but it seems to be the trend these days.