What to do...?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by wordy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. wordy

wordy Rookie

Jun 14, 2005

I could really use some advice. I'm in a job that I don't like. I gave it 2 years, but I feel as though it's getting worse. I'm working 12 hour days, I can't meet my kids' needs and some teacher is constantly thinking I'm not doing my job well enough. I want out! I've been looking all over for another position, but they're scarce in this area. Apparently, they're getting 400-600 applicants for every job. I'm not getting interviews no matter what I do, and to be honest, I'm so busy doing my job that I haven't been devoting enough time to my hunt.
    I asked for an extension on signing my contract for next year. I have until 6/30. (Acutally, we don't even have a contract as it's been under negotiation all year.) Everyone seems to be assuming and hoping I'll stay. I have no other real strong leads, except that a school I've subbed at will be hiring for three new teachers in July. Not a definite thing by any means, but better than any other lead I've had yet.
    I can't afford to be without insurance. I also don't want to be unprofessional or to put my school in a tight spot. They're always hiring people for SPED positions (wonder why?) & their choices are getting limited. Should I not sign my contract and risk not having a position in the fall? SHould I sign and break it over the summer if something pops up? ANy advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 14, 2005

Let me know what you decide.
    Because I'm in pretty much the same boat.
    I'm supposed to sign tomorrow.
    GAH.

4. wordy

wordy Rookie

Jun 14, 2005

Oh no!!! Good luck...I'm sure things will work out (alhtough sometimes, I feel like I'm just saying these things!)
    Can you get an extension on signing? I know we have to be given one if we ask...I would think it would be the same in other schools..?
    I wish I had advice to offer...

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2005

Jobs are so hard to find! What are the reprecussions if you sign & then quit? If you sign then you know that you have a job & the insurance, but you may be stuck with a job you can't stand. Way the pros & cons. Only you can make this decision. Good luck!

6. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 20, 2005

I would sign and then give your resignation if something better comes up. The district doesn't really need to know that you are looking for a different job. I don't think they can really hold you to a letter of intent because you haven't technically settled your contract, as of yet. But you might want to follow kpa1b2's advice from above! :)

7. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

Wordy (and please forgive me, my post will become wordy),

I don't know if this will help you (only you can make this decision), but I recently quit my job (and signed up for a completely different type of job across the country...so I'll tell you some of the things that ran through my mind - if it helps, use it, if not, thats okay too).

First, I think 2 years is a significant amt of time at a job to evaluate whether you like or dislike the job. Next, why are you unhappy, and what would make you enjoy the job? For my own decision, I made a list - why did I like the job, dislike the job, what I liked/disliked in past jobs too (this helped me realize - it truly was this job!) That really helped because I had about 10 reasons I did not like the job and only 2 that I did - overwhelming evidence for me to get out! If you do this and have such a list - why not look for a job that has at least a few of those criteria that are important to you?

You mention that there are only a few jobs in your area - why not move to another area? Apply to a teaching job further away? Private schools?

Another possibility - besides teaching, do you have other training from college/other job experience? Are there other things that you want to do? There are possibilities to get out and try other fields (internships, or - I was going to do this had I not gotten a job - temp - but only temp for companies and jobs that I was interested in as a way to get my foot in the door).

Also, try and be very careful in your next move - discuss this with friends/family/look at your list again. For example, if you move because you are unhappy that you put in many hours a week/teaching - well if you move to another teaching job in the next town, won't that be the same since you will still need to put in that many hours to teach?

THe way that I quit - I did notify my workplace, actually this was even before I had a job offer - but I was that unhappy and I knew that I would then be forced to look for a job and make a change. Also, by telling them early enough - they have enough time to find a replacement.

Best of luck.

8. wordy

wordy Rookie

Jun 22, 2005

Thanks

Thanks for the advice....I have talked to my principal about it becuase I have many reasons to be looking. I have worked in othe rplaces, and know that the main reasons I'm leaving are unique to this position. That was an important thought, though! I'm in a similar boat with like 10-2 (reasons to lave vs. reasons to stay)
    Oddly enough, we just hired a new teacher, and my principal told her I'd be her mentor...She seems to be in denial that I'm leaving. We will be chatting tomorrow!
    At this point, I think I will talk to her and get her advice...If she thinks it's a bad idea to sign and then resign, I won;t sign. I've had it with that district (our superintendent said something to the effect of teachers are a dime a dozen). It's only my kids and my principal that make me feel any reason to stay.
    Elllen, what did you end up doing? Any other advice/stories? What are the usual ramifications for breaking a contract? Thanks again! Everyone has been helpful!

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

Okay, many of you won't like what I'm going to say but that's nothing unusual. :)

Quit. Leave and never look back. Don't do what I did.

I stayed for 26 years because it was a job and it was security and I loved the kids. I LOVED my kids. The administration, on the other hand, made it a nightmare. I would come home at six or six thirty every night and cry. A thousand times a day I fantasized about quitting, and then I'd remember that I had two babies and carried our insurance and I'd sigh and go back again.

Every year was going to be the last one, I'd promise myself. My blood pressure soared up to over 200 and I had horrible nightmares almost every night. I dreaded going to work and facing that string of bad principals and a superintendent who used to sell used cars and considered our schools a business, with teachers as the lowest common denominator.

Twenty-six years later, that last straw hit my poor camel's back and I quit. Walked out. A few more years until retirement and I walked out and forfeited it.

How am I doing now? My blood pressure is almost normal. My migraines have decreased considerably. I'm happy. I miss my students terribly but I still see them (I live in the district) and I still maintain our old class website for them. My husband signed up for insurance for all of us (same school district) and I am now an adjunct instructor for the local tech college.

To say that I'm loving this job is an understatement. I absolutely adore this job. Everyone here is smart, and nice, and I'm treated like a professional.

I miss my classroom. I miss my fellow teachers. Many of them are contemplating doing what I did. I hope they do it.

I hope you do it, too. No kind of security is worth your health, your sanity, and your peace of mind.

Walk away. Get another job. Don't stay so long that your body starts to rebel and you wake up every morning sweating from nightmares. No kind of 'security' is worth it. It's better to flip burgers or measure fabric at WalMart than to stay in a school that does not treat its teachers with the respect they deserve.

10. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Couldn't have said this better myself, Jane! You're absolutely right, a toxic work environment will affect your health. Get out.

11. wordy

wordy Rookie

Jun 30, 2005

scared but relieved

I have to thank everyone for their advice. Today I handed in my letter of resignation. I do respect my adminstration and my students enough to not want to put them into a situation where they're scrambling to replace me at the last minute. I feel greatly relieved, although scared to death (I have no real lead for what to do next!) It has affected my sleeping and my entire mood enough that I think if I stayed, it would impact my health. Your words really may have saved me some problems down the road, so thank you very much:)
    Now....if I can just find a source of income....;) :confused:

12. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005

Congratulations! It's hard to make that decision, but it's worth it when you get out of a situation where you are miserable.

Now you can move to Hawaii and teach:
    http://rrsc.k12.hi.us/jobs/sped_teach.html

I've often wondered if teaching would be less stressful in a tropical setting. ;)

13. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 1, 2005

I met someone recently who grew up in Hawaii. He said his parents sent him to Catholic schools even though the family wasn't Catholic cause the public schools in Hawaii are really bad.