What to do with stuff you "inherit"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by rebelgirl, May 16, 2009.

1. rebelgirl

rebelgirl Rookie

May 16, 2009

I am a 1st year teacher and will finish my 1st year in 3 days.

The room I took over was vacated by a retiring teacher. She left everything for me - which I am grateful for.

Her system of organization was in binders and my system is folders. I have slowly (very slowly) tried to convert it. Some of the material is old, outdated and younger elementary.

My question is this - Am I under any obligation to the school to keep things that came with the room? I have no intention of leaving my school for many, many years. If I do ever change I will take my current stuff with me. Am I to leave her old things in some place because I "inherited" them and should also pass them on one day.

We all know that everyone is cramped for space. I really don't want to have a section in my room donated to things that I will not use.

Thanks,

Jackie

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2009

The best thing to do is to ask your administration. My boss didn't mind certain things being thrown out but other things were really property of the school. She's a conserver though. If there was something we really wanted to give out she wanted us to at least ask others if they want it first.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 16, 2009

We often have a big spot where we put things we are getting rid of that anyone can leaf through. Your school may do the same thing, and you just might not know about it yet. If not, ask someone and see if there is a place you can put a "free" box.

Also, you might want to keep some of the stuff for another year. You just never know when it could come in handy. If you don't use something after two years, then it is probably time to toss it for sure. I waited two years to get rid of all the junk in my classroom that I didn't think I would use!

5. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

May 16, 2009

I'm a first year as well and in your boat as well. I inherited A LOT of items. A couple of older teacher came in and took a look at the things. They looked around and told me what items I might use or what could be tossed. I ended up putting a ton of the things on the freebie table. Other teachers picked out items, leftovers were donated somewhere else.

I had zero space but afterwards things cleared up quite a bit. I also tossed a lot of items that I knew I wouldn't use and other teachers wouldn't want. While it was nice to inherit items, I also think it would have been easier to start from scratch. Spent hours and hours sifting through the old materials.

If you aren't going to use the items, place them so other teachers can see if they want it. If they don't want it, toss it. Thats what I basically did.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

I'm in my second year, and spent last summer really sorting through those things and integrating them with mine (folders to binders, in my case!) Now, this year, I am switching grades, so I have to go back through and separate the "school" materials from mine...yippee!

7. rebelgirl

rebelgirl Rookie

May 16, 2009

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Jackie

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 16, 2009

I have a similar problem to you. I have some of the teacher's old materials like books that I don't want to throw away, but that I don't use either. Also, I have a ton of manipulatives beyond the normal classroom supply that I also don't use, and I'm at a loss for what to do with them. My school hoards things like crazy!

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 16, 2009

Copies and papers can definitely be recycled, anything else I would ask the P if there is a place to leave stuff you don't want. We have a table where we leave stuff and the district picks up the rest at the end of school to be auctioned off publicly (think file cabinets and shelves).

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 16, 2009

I 2nd the FREE TO A GOOD HOME. If it isn't on inventory, the principal doesn't mind it getting chunked, and no one else wants the free stuff, just get rid of it if you won't need it.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I agree w/Tasha. Toss the papers into the recycling bin and figure out a way to chuck the rest. We put stuff we don't want out into the hall with a note and the custodians whisk it off, never to be seen again. (I do know that usable items are donated to a school that needs it).

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 16, 2009

In all of my jobs, I have inherited tons of stuff. When I am in a hurry, I box it up and label it PreMe. If I need to find something, it is in the box. I can dispose or sort at my leisure.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

I have had to do that twice. Once for a teacher who left teaching elementary, and one who retired after 30 years. With the last one, I threw away 30+trash bags of stuff that was soooo dirty and gross no one wanted it. This teacher was not the cleanest. I also moved out over 15 pieces of furniture.

14. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 17, 2009

I second the others above. Recycle the papers that are older than dirt, and give the other stuff away to a good home. How exciting, and yet overwhelming, it must have been for you to come into a classroom full of stuff! Good luck sorting!

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 17, 2009

Side note--We recently had a teacher leave and she left her room the way it was --even left her stuffed animals. The teacher who took her room, a friend of mine, cleared it out. Big mistake, her teaching partners expected her to keep items that she didn't want. As the year progressed, they looked for items that they had always used. They were a little upset that they were missing. My suggestion would be to go to your peers in the grade level and say "Hey, I am cleaning things out so my stuff will fit. Can you help me understand what is important and what we all use?" You don't need enemies before you start.

16. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 17, 2009

I go through the stuff and see what can be used again and what is really old and out dated and can be thrown out. If there are things that are school property I find out where it needs to go and who can take it - old books, textbooks, etc

17. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

May 17, 2009

I would agree with Mrachelle87. One teacher's treasures may seem junk to another. I've cleaned out after two successful teachers. One in particular I even shared the items I was cleaning out with a new teacher who was starting a unit from scratch. When I left the position I was looked down upon, because everything was "gone". Technically it was...what wasn't used/incoporated, was thrown away or shared with the new teacher. There was enough in the room to outfit three classrooms and the room was very tiny. But the people on staff didn't get this. I also encountered a lot of the "Where's such in such that so and so had in this room? I want to use it." Be careful what you do throw out. I strongly suggest offering it to grade level teachers that you work with first.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

I'm big with the freebie table.

I know right off the bat what I won't use...so, it's junk to me. I placed it all neatly on a table with a note...It's Free!

Someone elses junk is another man's treasure.

19. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 17, 2009

When I started, I was in the same position as you. My room was packed FULL of things I thought I would never use. I went ahead and recycled stacks of papers and copies that I knew I would never use. There were some things I knew that I was absolutely not interested in using...EVER...so I moved those things to our "freebie" table in the teacher lounge. Most of what I moved down there disappeared within 2 or 3 days. I let the things sit there for about a week and then began to get rid of things again. There were also some things that I kept in my room in case I decided I would want to use them. As this year is coming to a close, I am cleaning out once again. If I haven't used it since I started, it's either getting tossed (if not usable) or is getting donated to the "freebie" table. There's no point in keeping things I haven't used in 3 years. :)

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I was going to suggest the same thing. I know on my team, several of them have been together for a while and they know who has what. I got a few things from the teacher who I replaced. They come to me for those things.

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

My answer is different if it is bulletin board stuff or things other teachers give me directly. Sometimes I don't like to say no so I will accept it and then decide. If I think I won't use it freebie table for that if they no longer work there. Now that my feet are wet, I know right away what I don't want if it is offered to me. I have a style now :D

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 18, 2009

Our county retired teacher group collects "stuff " all year from retiring teachers, teachers leaving the profession, whatever and at the beginning of the new school year, they have a free flea market for brand new teachers and lots of stuff gets passed around and used that way, instead of just trashing it.

23. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 18, 2009

That's a really good idea! That way things make around to people who might really need it! :)

24. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 18, 2009

that is a fantastic idea~

25. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

What a GREAT idea!
    That should be done at all schools.
    Rebel1