What to do with Severe/Profound and Autism?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sk8enscars311, Aug 29, 2009.

1. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Aug 29, 2009

I recently accepted a long term sub position at a high doing adapted health. Two of my classes include students with severe/profound disabilities and autism. The severe/profound teacher is VERY high-strung and picky about what her kids do but is also too busy acting to be able to sit with me and give me tips as to how I can live up to her expectations. Apparently she's ex-military. Btw, I'm a music teacher with 3 years experience teaching elementary music. I'm currently enrolled in special ed grad classes but I'm not going to learn enough this semester to help get me through these classes.

So here's my question... What kinds of activities would you see going on in these kinds of classrooms? Each class has 6 kids. I'd have 2 aides helping in each room (and sometimes the teacher sticks around to see what I'm doing!). The first two days of school another teacher suggested I do a "get to know you" collage. I brought in magazines and big paper and they were to point to things they liked and we'd cut it out and glue it down. Not a single kid could actually do that. It was pretty much 45 minutes of us walking around, guessing what we should cut out. 4 kids sat and stared the whole time, 1 wouldn't put down the national geographic and another LOVED every single page and laughed the whole time. I'm really going to enjoy working with them. I just feel so much stress from the teacher to place well-thought out lessons in front of them. Any ideas? Thanks!!

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Talk To The Families About Thier Interests!

I like the art project idea, but I would get ideas from the families so that you understand what your students really like the most. I would find "activities" that are similar to what the families tell you so that you can post them on their "Get to Know You Collage". Remember, the students must be doing the actual final project no matter what the outcome looks like. I would also use "big button switches" to communicate what it says about their "individual projects so that they can press the switch when it's their turn to discuss what they did. You could record, "my name is, and I like....." Allow the student to press the switch when it's time to talk about the project. I am a teacher who works with students with severe-profound multiple disabilities in an intermediate school (5th-8th). I also taught autism support for about 7 1/2 years. Remember, students with autism require "visual cues and supports" or they easily become frustrated and angry because it causes sensory confusion. They have a "fight or flight" response when they feel threatened.

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 29, 2009

I would for sure try to bring your music background in to teaching this population. I can probably give some ideas but can you tell me what topics you are supposed to be covering?

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Aug 29, 2009

Thank you for the information in there Aspie... unfortunately most of the kids come from a group home. I have no idea what kind of stability they have in terms of who cares for them. They are also all nonverbal (severe/profound that is). I'm actually not so much worried about the autism class. The teacher there is very cool and willing to work with me. It's the S/P teacher who has me totally intimidated. Mom2mikey... I'm not entirely sure. It's adapted Health and apparently PE for this group and I've really been given no curriculum or tools. I'd imagine a lot of basic stuff like hygiene and healthy eating... I just don't know how I'm going to fill 45 minutes everyday. I guess I just need to break down and bug her until she gives me some clues.