What to do with "rude" students

Discussion in 'High School' started by Cheekyone, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Feb 16, 2016

Currently, I'm only a student teacher. I observe 3 periods and teach one period. My period has nice students, but 2nd period has a certain student who is rude. I am uncertain how to handle it since my mentor teacher seems to just ignore her rudeness. The other students aren't rude, but this one is. Basically, she calls me over without saying "Ms." and says "come here" as a command. Most students say thanks and are polite, so she is the only one who does this to both me and my mentor. She definitely would seem the type to become rebellious if called out on that. She actually does her work and is on task but is very rude. When she is helped, she says she knew that or that we could have just gave her the answer, even though we want to lead them not tell them the answer. I have started to avoid crossing her desk to help the other students since I still haven't figured out how to deal with it. I once saw my mentor teacher get upset with her when she moved past him, almost pushing him without saying excuse me, and I don't want to get upset or even allow any of that for when I teach. What would you do? How can I take this in to help me in the future?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2016

What has your mentor teacher said when you've asked her about it?

Because I am fairly assertive as a teacher, I would probably address it directly with the student. It's okay to say to a student, "That's rude." You can also say, "I'm not sure if you mean it this way, but you're coming across as very harsh or rude right now. Maybe you could tone it down a bit, and say please and thank you. I'd love to help you, but not if you're going to be rude to me." Sometimes students legitimately don't realize how they are coming across. Sometimes they are just cranky, in which cases it can be best to just ignore their behaviors when possible.

otterpop and MrsC like this.
  4. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Feb 16, 2016

My mentor has told me that she has been trying to get this certain student removed from the class, to a class that the student would prefer to take over math. So I think her solution is to remove the student. In the future, if I don't have this option, talking to the student might seem to work. I only fear I will make her worse by directly addressing it in that manner. I do think she is a very moody person. I personally would try to address the whole class by having a sort of mini-lecture about respect and I can only come is they say please and thank you. Unfortunately, I don;t have control of this class so i can;t address the whole class on the issue.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2016

I think it's silly to address the behaviors of one student in a class-wide discussion. The kid who needs to get the message will likely tune it out or think that it doesn't apply to him or her, and everyone else will be annoyed that they have to listen to instructions on how to behave the way that they are already behaving. That's what seems to happen whenever we have faculty meetings and the principal says something like, "Some of you haven't been entering your lesson plans into the system." I always feel like it's a waste of my time to be listening to these mini-lectures because they aren't about me.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 16, 2016

I would definitely not let her get away with it. I would tell her she is rude and model the desired behavior. Let her know she needs to address you by your name when she calls you over, etc etc. If she doesn't, ignore her. Give her a few chances, such as correct her a few times, student: "come here" you: " that would be Mrs K, can you come here please?" and then have her say it, then go there. If she doesn't, ignore.

anon55, Cheekyone and otterpop like this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2016

If you were the teacher in the room I would give another reply similar to a previous reply. Being the student teacher though, I would ask why the teacher takes this approach with the student? It could be she doesn't want to escalate the student's behavior by pushing her to not be rude. Previous attempts at correction may have been met with problems. It may be that the teacher has already tried multiple techniques with this student and ignore seems to keep the peace and allow the classroom to function and allow other student learning. This would be a great conversation about techniques the teacher uses in this case and other cases with students.

vickilyn, Cheekyone and Linguist92021 like this.
  8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 16, 2016

Yes, of course, as a student teacher, you are limited. My response was regarding what I would do if I was the teacher, or if I had free reign in the classroom as a student teacher (I know it's rare, but that's how my situation was). As suggested above, as a student teacher I would talk to the master teacher and find out what has been done and why is the student being ignored.

9. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Feb 16, 2016

In response to Cesear(sp?) I see your point, but I felt as though this class hasn't discussed norms of respect yet. To announce to everyone that I will only come by with I'm addressed properly and if they say please and thank you. I believe theses kids(juniors) were expected to come in already knowing what respectful norms are. But I think many of them actually don;t know. But i understand that addressing the whole class might make the student think it's not about them. hm. I like your suggestion linguist. I actually have been avoiding her until she calls me properly and so far this is my technique. If it continues, I should ask my master teacher what could be done and what he has tried.

10. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 16, 2016

Maybe you can also see if there is a counselor or dean (at the high school where you are student teaching) who you can trust and ask him/her for advice. In this conversation, I wouldn't mention the student's name or which class period it is so the master teacher will not get the wrong impression that I am complaining about her. I would just ask the counselor or dean their advice on the best ways to handle a situation with a rude student and explain that I want to be prepared for it if it ever happens to me.

11. Andy Ronon

Andy Ronon Rookie

Jun 22, 2016

If you allow her to continue, you are training the others to do it as well. You have to address it at some point. When she says something just remind her each time that what the proper way to ask for help is.
    Student: "Come here"
    Teacher "Do you need help?"
    Student "Yes"
    Teach "Then the request is Ms. Wilson can you help me?"
    As she begins noticing this happening every time, she will begin to avoid the embarrassment or the hassle of having to be told over and over again. Whether she does it out of attitude initially, or correctly, you will train her and also inform the class of what you expect.

Cheekyone likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Cheekyone likes this.
  13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 24, 2016

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to agree with Leaborb's comment. I had a student last year that I'm convinced was never taught at home how to talk to people. When I called him out on his behavior he'd often say "That's how I talk." By the end of the year, when I started ignoring his demands and responded only to polite requests, he started getting into the habit of speaking politely.

Cheekyone likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Cheekyone likes this.