What to do with only 4 kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SnowDaisy822, Sep 17, 2007.

1. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Sep 17, 2007

So we have optional band for our 5th graders and I have 14 out of my 18 who are doing it. So I have just 4 kids who are in my room for 20 minutes. They're my 4 biggest trouble makers too. Any suggestions of what to do during this time? I can't teach anything. I was thinking of some sort of social skill things. Any suggestions of what? We already do 2nd steps as a whole class. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

3. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Your luck try 31 all at once!!!!

4. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2007

Maybe you could play games with them. I've gotten a lot of my fun, but educational, games from here. I tried these out with my lower group of kids, and they seemed to enjoy the games so far.
    http://www.fredjones.com/PAT/index.html

6. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

Whenever I've been left with just a few kids I've done as Peachyness suggested and played games with them - maths games with cards and dice are perfect. We've had ongoing games of Battleships that go for weeks - it can help build a special rapport between you and these kids.

When I've had longer periods of time with only a few kids left, we've done individual passion projects, where they research and present their chosen topic. Often the kids who were away (it's usually the singing or dancing group in my school) are really amazed at how much the others achieved.

Something special just for these difficult kids could be the breakthrough that may make all the difference!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2007

I agree with others, play games with them--Battleship, Monopoly, chess, checkers, Scrabble, Upwords, etc. Sitting and playing games will do wonders for building the social skills of your students, help them to see you in a different light, and build a strong relationship.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 18, 2007

Do they need extra help in any area....reading, writing, math? You could give extra time for that since you said they are the biggest trouble makers. If they are anything like my little trouble makers they can hardly get their work done in the first place.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 18, 2007

I can see how this is something that would make sense, however, I think since the other kids are at a fun elective, the kids who didn't sign up shouldn't have to stay and do work. With my difficult kids, I can imagine this would make them worse. The games are a good idea. I have watched our school counselor play games with the kids, and she is able to really discuss social skills, common politeness some kids don't learn elsewhere, being a team player, being a good sport, not cheating, etc. You could work wonder with these kids, and I'll bet form a great bond.

10. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

We played a game today. Three out of the four had fun. The fourth didn't want to play because I said it had to be a game all four of us could play together. I soon found out he's a sore loser and doesn't like to play games that he can lose at. Now we're going to work on being a good sport. We had fun though! Thanks for the idea! I promised I'd bring in Monopoly tomorrow and they're all excited about that. I also have the new Cranium game Who Knew that they'd have fun playing that I'll bring in for us. I think it'll help them, hopefully :)

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 19, 2007

I just read this post and I got goosebumps! I was going to post the exact same question. I have 5 children for 45 minutes and don't know what to do with them. They do not need extra help so I was trying to come up with games for them to play. So far we have done bean bag bocci which worked well because they worked on strategies.

I am going to look at the other websites mentioned. Glad to know someone else is in my situation:)

12. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 19, 2007

They may be at a "fun" elective, however, they chose to do it. Some of them may have chosen it themselves and others may have had it chosen for them by their parents. Either way, it was something that was chosen. The others that have to stay back didn't choose it, therefore they chose to stay in the classroom and do the activities that are going on there. How do they know what's going on in band or music? They don't. It's my though that if they need that extra support or time for finishing work, let them have it. This seems like a perfect time to do such activities.

Think about the flip side...what about those kids who didn't "choose" to be in band but are forced to by their parents?? If the ones staying back are playing games, and they don't get to participate, who's missing the fun??:unsure:

Hope it works for you...let us know.