What to do with kids who don't have holiday boutique money

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Dec 12, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 12, 2009

Our holiday boutique is this week. Of course, some kids will not come in with money. Fortunately, I have an assistant. We split the kids up and one of us shops while the other does something fun with the kids who are left behind. I use the same technique for the book fair, plant sale, or anything else along those lines- but the holiday boutique is the worst, because the kids are shopping for presents- as you all know, that is worse to be left out of than plants or books.

I try to make a big deal of whatever we do with the kids that stay back. As soon as the shoppers leave, I tell them we are going to do a secret special project while the other kids go to the boutique. Sometimes we play with wiki stix (a treat), sometimes I let them color with my smelly Mr. Sketch markers (a HUGE treat).

Any other ideas of super fun things to do with these kids? It has to be something that I can have them clean up in a moment's notice as soon as I hear the other kids coming back to the room, so that the kids feel like they REALLY got to do something special- especially since the shoppers come back and stuff bags of goodies into their backpacks. And something that will be fun if they only get it for 10 minutes, but enough to engage them for up to 30 if the shoppers take forever.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2009

Could those kids make a gift-- a card with glitter or something-- while the others shop?? That way everyone would have a gift to bring home.

Or could you order a bunch of easy crafts from Oriental trading, to be put together during that time? Or even some "goody bag' types of gifts for them to choose from?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2009

Can the school come up with a fund for the kids who do not have money?

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 12, 2009

The PTA does try it's best to come up with funds for things like this whenever it's possible- usually at the book fairs, if a child doesn't have money the PTA can come up with a dollar for a free book. But I haven't heard anything about that for the boutique. Some children will not be able to afford to bring in money, and other parents I know would rather just shop with their children at real stores than buy, let's face it, junk LoL from the boutique.

Making some kind of present might be feasible, if I can come up with something quick enough. Oriental Trading isn't really an option- I have already spent money there for the kids for Christmas things, I'd rather be able to keep the kids occupied without spending any money- but I'll be thinking about something to do with what I have.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 12, 2009

we asked the church people (private Christian childcare/preschool) to donate white elephant gifts and the staff brought in stuff too and we let the children "shop" from the tables with those things instead of having to bring in money

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2009

It would be so cool if they could make something edible to take home as a gift...something really simple and Christmassy...there's another thread here where someone is looking for non-cookie treats. I'm thinking of that "white trash" mix or chocolate-dipped pretzels, etc...:)
    Yum!

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 12, 2009

If you have a microwave in your room or access to one-- either of those is a great idea-- the chocolate pretzels are really easy, and if you use the larger pretzel rods, you can melt the choloclate and let each kid dip the pretzel in and then roll it in their choice of icecream sprinkles, or crushed peanuts, or I've even done crushed candy cane!

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 12, 2009

you can do regular chocolate or white chocolate. Grown ups love these things. I made muddy buddies and white trash to take to Thanksgiving Dinner last year and it was a huge hit, believe it or not the muddy buddies was a huge hit with the elderly there. One elderly gentleman tole me he loved it because he has no teeth and he could put it in his mouth and let it kind of get soft and it was still yummy! (His daughter-in-law finally had to hide the container from him!) white trash is easy but takes longer and is a bit messier, but very colorful (I use the crunchberries cereal or the fruit flavored kix cereal. )

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 12, 2009

Hehe, that thread was actually mine too... I was a little board-happy today! :blush:

Unfortunately, our wellness policy is no food in the classroom. But I know I will be making that white trash mix for myself LoL.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 13, 2009

You're so great to think of this. I hate that my own kids are suckered into buying at the holiday shop (ok that I am suckered into it. It is a ton of money for a bunch of crap. But I do it because I don't want my kids to be the only ones not buying in the class. This year, my 1st grade son spent $27 on gifts for mom, dad, and sis and my daughter spent $19. Holy Moly!!! I really feel for the parents who don't have the funds. So truly kudos to you for thinking of these little ones. The PTA needs to hold these fundraisers after school in my opinion.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 13, 2009

I also really like the idea of them making a gift - this way they feel like they are participating too.

I'm not sure about the socio-economic range of your school, but mine is very wide range (very poor to rather wealthy). Something I've done in the past (with field trip costs) is asked ALL families, if you can contribute a little to help a child who can't afford, I would greatly appreciate it. I always have one or two families (usually NOT the wealthiest), offer to pay for another child. It's something to try - you might be surprised at the generosity of some of the families. :D

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 13, 2009

what about having the kids make an ornament? Something simple and quick? or a card that they can wrap up

14. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 13, 2009

Ok what is white trash mix????

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 13, 2009

white trash or as I call it (since I work in a Christian based program) Heavenly Hash is wonderful and so easy to make. Its a mixture of peanuts, captain crunch cereal (I like to use the fruit one to make it more colorful), pretzels and M&Ms covered in white chocolate. You simply mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and melt white almond bark in the microwave. Pour the almond bark over the mixture and mix it all up really good-- and spread out on wax paper to set up. Ideally you have a lot of the almond bark so it kind of puddles around the ingredients. then whenit's all hardened you break it up into pieces. Yummy!

16. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 14, 2009

Sounds delicious. I'll have to try it!

17. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

Dec 16, 2009

What my kids school does

My kids school has theirs on a Saturday. That way it is totally optional and the parents have to want to bring them. Maybe you can suggest something like this for next year.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 16, 2009

Teacher36, thank you for your sweet words. That made my day!

I completely, completely agree that these things should be held after school. I just don't think the PTA really realizes how terrible it is for these little ones that don't get to do the different things. Not to mention the precious class time that is missed to go to one fair or another, and the difficulty of shopping with many very young children with NO sense of money at all.

This year I had my class make handprint calendars for their parents as a holiday present, and when the boutique kids left, I let the ones that stayed behind help me get special wrapping paper all ready to decorate and cut it into squares. I was amazed at how excited they were just to sit and hold down the roll of paper to keep it still while I cut square after square. We got to chat about Christmas and anything their little hearts desired, and it was so much fun for me to get to just TALK to them without academics attached for a change. It was a really nice half hour. And yes, those other little ones DID shop for a half hour. Twice- morning class and afternoon class. Bless my assistant's heart, she dealt with all the shopping on her own. I owe her!

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 16, 2009

one year we got really brave and took the preschool to the local dollar store and each child got to buy one gift for each parent. then we went to the pizza place in the same building for lunch. It was a lot of fun, but totally exhausting!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

It sounds as though you handled it perfectly!!

21. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 18, 2009

Thank you!