What To Do With CDs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Doublescoop, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I've got 100's of old CD's. Anyone have great ideas for crafts or other uses for them that they'd like to share?

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

The mailbox magazine had something... can't remember exactly what... but it had something to do with the rainbow fish.... Anyone know what I'm talking about?:anyone:
    If I find that one, I'll try to write it out for you...

Can you make a mobile of somesort? Something related to music?

Or shapes?

Sorry, I'm not very creative! Just trying to throw some ideas out there! :rolleyes:

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 6, 2007

They make adorable christmas ornaments/sun catchers. One way to transform them is to put a picture of the child on the middle part of the shiny side (over the clear circle part). On the other side you can just cut and attach the child's art. You can use a drill or just use a nail to poke a hole to hang it with.

here is a CD curtain that would be neat to have in your classroom or use the same style of make mobiles to hang from the ceiling.
    [​IMG]
    Curtain directions

5. 2masters@nojob

2masters@nojob Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I have seen people use cds to make planets (saturn). You only need a cd and a styrophoam ball. This could be great if you are studying the solar system.

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I hosted a cookie exchange last December and this was one of my "party favors"

[​IMG]
    Another teacher came to my party and ended up making a similar craft with her 6th graders. If you have a scrapbooking friend, or are going to be punching through a lot of CDs, get a "Crop-a-dile"... punches through those CDs like butter!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  7. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I found a neat use for CD's in the book Vocabulary Unplugged. They basically become skill or practice spinners.You mark the CD with a marker to divide it into sections like a pie. You write prefixes or suffixes on them and kids use them as a spinner on their fingers to practice. Spin the CD and wherever your finger points (from your vantage point) is the prefix/suffix you define, use to make a word or whatever. Does that make sense? You could also use if for math and put operations (+-x, etc) on it or numbers and kids have to come up with different equations that equal that number.

8. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

A student made me a mobile. cds were glued with the backs facing out, 3 sets which were then hung at various lengths. I have had it for 6 years and hang it near a window every year. I loved the party favor from knittingbec!

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 6, 2007

I mail unwanted music cd's to "any soldier" in Iraq.