What to do with behaviorally challenging kid on field trips

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Aug 29, 2009.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

I have a very behaviorally challenging boy this year. He tops the charts. :) I'm doing...ok...and it's a work in progress. However, I'n very worried about when we go on fieldtrips. Our next trip is to the county fair...it's all day and lots of walking. I am thinking about having his mom come along but I'm thinking that might make him worse.

How do you discipline these kids on fieldtrips? What do you do when they get out of hand? Obviously, there is no timeout anywhere, I can't take our behavior chart with me. This trip has a lot of parents and I don't want it to look like I don't know what I'm doing with this student.

Suggestions? PLEASE!

3. luv2garden

luv2garden Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

I would definitely ask the child's parent to come along. Not only is the environment a safety issue for him, it is an issue for the other children as well. My principal is very understanding about behavioral issues (since we have many of them this year). If the parent is not able to come, the child must stay in another classroom while we are gone.

I would talk to your principal, and see if she has an opinion on the matter!

:)

4. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Thank you! I am going to talk to the principal. Fortunately, he is very understanding about my situation and he has spent some time with this particular student. I probably will have his mom come. But, I'm not sure what to do if he starts acting out with his mom there..she cannot handle him. I've seen it in action. He is very defiant and refuses to do what you tell him to do frequenctly. Usually I give him a choice ("Okay...you have a choice. You can either do what I tell you to do the first time, or you can give me a star") He usually chooses the right choice...most of the time. :unsure: They have stars on their desk that they have to give me if they break a rule. Could I maybe take the stars with me? But what about the consequences? Can I give him the consequences the next day?

Ugh! I've never had a student like this so I second guess everything I do with him.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Every class in our school only goes on 1 field trip a year (in May). Teachers do not have to take any student on a fieldtrip that has continuously not followed rules in the school or on the bus. We document the child's behavior and when the fieldtrip time comes around we tell the parent that their child has not earned their fieldtrip. The trips are a priveledge. They are not entitled to go. That being said, however, it takes alot for me to not take a child. I realize that many of the behavior problems that I have come from the rough homelives that these kids come from. They are often the kids that need the fieldtrips the most. I can not, however, risk something happening so if the behavior issues are severe they don't go. We ask that the parent keep their child home from school, but if they insist on sending them the child goes to another room for the day. I don't want you to think I am a meanie. In 13 years I have only not taken 4 kids. I work in a very low income district and often taking parents only makes it worse.

6. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Thanks starbucks! I do agree with you. But, do you think I should give him at least one chance to show me if he can behave himself on a fieldtrip? I don't know...I don't want to be a pushover, but I also want to give him a chance.

At our school, we are VERY fortunate to be able to go on a few fieldtrips so if he doesn't behave on this fieldtrip, then defintely NO in the next fieldtrip.

We also have a good behavior fieltrip at the end of the year for the students who followed the rules all year. It doesn't look good for this student unless he shows tremendous improvement.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

Wow. The fair? Is this the beginning of the year for you or are you in a year-round school?

My first thought was that if he can't follow the rules at school, he shouldn't go on the field trip. I've left students back for behavior before. It has to be approved by the principal, and the parents have to know it's a potential consequence.

I do agree with you, though, that if it's the first trip you do want to give him a chance. Sometimes children flourish and amaze you outside of the classroom.

We also go on frequent field trips. At least 6 each year. I have sent students back with a chaperone to wait on (or near) the bus. Not completely fair to the chaperone, but the best thing for the rest of the class.

I don't think inviting his mom is a bad idea, either. True, his behavior may be worse, but then at least she has to deal with him and your attention can be on the rest of the class.

I do hope he ends up surprising you!

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I think you probably do have to give him a chance and take him on the first trip. I would ask his mother to go, but I would also tell her that you are asking specifically because of his poor behavior and that if it continues he may not be allowed to go on future trips. If you really think that the mother may make the behavior worse then maybe you could find somebody else from the school (an aide, extra staff member etc...) to assist you on the trip in watching over the little guy. I know in my school some of the special ed teachers will allow us to take their aides for the day to help out.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

If he doesn't listen to his mother then she can't go! It will make things worse. Meanwhile, make him earn the trip. Try to make him realize that his actions will determine IF he makes the trip. Use the 3 strikes you're out rule. He will have to know that you mean business and be firm with your decision. He will catch on sooner or later and you will be stress free for your field trip. If he earns the trip then you need extra help from your Management team, with someone to shadow him on the trip. :cool:
    Rebel1

10. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Thanks everyone! Fortunately, I have a pretty good group this year, so this student is the only one I have behavior issues with. I am going to have a talk with the P to see what he suggests also. I DO want to give him a chance, but I also like your idea, Rebel1, to let him know of the upcoming fieldtrip and to tell him that his behavior will determine whether he can go or not. So, I'll take those ideas to him. Also, I can talk to our special ed teacher and see what she suggests.

Thanks again! You all are great! :)

11. skerns

skerns Companion

Aug 29, 2009

Field Trip

My suggestion is to take him and do NOT take his mom on the first trip. You should give this child a chance. I had a crazy boy one year who when we were on field trips was altogether different. He was wonderful. But when his mom came he was awful. Kids are almost always worse for their parents. Before you go, talk to him, give him a consequence if he is not obedient. Take your cell phone and program his parent's # in it. Tell him about it and that you will call his mom to come and get him. Then do it, if he gets out of control. We do not let kids go on field trips again if they are not good the first time. But don't assume they will be the same when they are out as they are in the classroom. :D

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

I wouldn't worry too much about what the other parents think. Their kids have probably already said that "Johnny is the bad kid and he's always in trouble." They are probably thinking more about how his parents can't handle him, not you.

I was told by my P to hold the hand of one student wherever we went. Not fun, but it was for the greater good! I would definitely have parents on standby and talk to your P or Counselor to see what they say. They should definitely be aware!

13. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

You are right about the other parents already knowing. It's kind of hard NOT to know with this one. One mom told me that her daughter comes home and tells her what "Johhny" did that day.

I am SO paranoid about what other parents think of me. I don't want them to think I can't handle my students, but I that is something that I really need to get over.

Once again, thank you everybody!