What to do with all the stuff????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by k.contreras, May 6, 2006.

1. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

May 6, 2006

Since school is almost ending for everyone, I was wondering what you all do with all your stuff from your class. I am in the process of cleaning out my closet in my class to put stuff in it, while trying to stay organized, but I still have a lot more left out. What do you all do to keep organized over the summer. I want to stay organized but I already find myself wanting to buy stuff for the new school year and have nowhere to put it. At our campus we have to have everything off of the floor. So we either have to fit it in our file cabinet, closet or take it home.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 6, 2006

I have been 'cleaning' for weeks now. I have only the ability to do about an hour twice a day. I have created boxes full of copies and have promised them to Rachel Mckinnie from atoz. Knowing that the papers will find a new home makes me more motivated to do it!

The totes I use to bring stuff home from school, need to be real organized and filled to eliminate excess space. I usually store all math manipulatives in ZIPLOC and stack any of the shelf containers that are kind of like shoe boxes. So all the boxes stack to each other and all the lids go INTO the top box.
    I have a home office with four upright file cabinets! I have just a little more work to do on my cultural studies drawers and then will mail the boxes. In the file cabinets, I store the reproducible books for each content area. Four file cabinets. One for math, one for language/reading, one for science/social studies, and one for seasonal/administrative, and additional social studies.
    My goal is to NOT have my totes taking up every crevice of my office so I will try to leave some totes at school!

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

May 7, 2006

All I can say is stack and squeeze. I don't take anything home but I fill my lockers to the top and stack on top of my lockers to the ceiling. I also have a heater unit I can stack things on. The best thing you can do is buy the Rubbermaid totes and start organizing. And you will thank yourself if you organize and label on the outside of the Rubbermaid tubs so you know how to unpack it when the school year begins. I always list what I have in the tub so I know when to unpack. If I have stuff in the tub that goes in my library and I don't have my library set up yet- then I have a big mess. Organize everything!
    And of course, stack and squeeze!
    Good Luck!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 7, 2006

My floor has to be completely clear for the custodians to sand and poly the floors in the summer. (We have hardwood floors in our school.) I move everything except my desk and file cabinets (too heavy!) I have crates that my library books go in and get put on shelves in the hall, stack my computers and their parts on the side shelf, student books get stacked in groups in the lower side shelves, and other stuff gets stacked on the table in the hall. The worst thing is my desk. It is always a dumping ground. I'll have it neat and organized in the morning and then by evening you can't find a flat surface there (I don't spend much time sitting at it.) I have to do lots of organizing and filing from there (regualr file or file 13).

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 7, 2006

LOL! I had a kindergartner tell me on Friday that he could not give me a treat because my desk was messy. :p I also had a student ask me if I was going to clean off my desk when his parents came in for their parent-teacher conference.:D I guess I should be happy that they can't dump my desk like I do theirs if it is messy. Good thing because I would not think that it was as funny as they do when I dump theirs (I now have students who ask me if their desk is messy enough to be dumped;) )

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2006

Next year I have a new position as one of the Special Education teachers in the school. Although I am excited about the job, I am not so excited about the change of rooms that is required (from my extra-large room to a half-size resource room). I feel like I am bursting out of the space I have right now, don't know what I'm going to do with less than half!

8. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 7, 2006

In my four years of teaching this is the first time I don't have to pack and move to a new room. Luckily I have a long counter I can stack stuff on as well as kid closets I can load up. I am planning on bringing home my library books to sort, fix, and relable this summer. Other than that, I will go as can since I have always cleaned as I packed!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 9, 2006

I'm packing everything to move to the new school. Everyone k-8th grade is moving somewhere in the district. They're pulling 1st and 2nd grade out to put in the new school, and moving around everyone else in their buildings. Usually we just had to have it covered, and movable (in boxes, on shelves, etc...). Now we're scrambling to find enough boxes to move around. I'm taking all of my personal stuff home and putting it in my storage building (which is quite a lot of stuff). The rest of it will be taken over to the new building and (hopefully) get to my new room. I'm giving stuff I don't use away to either other teachers or to students.