What to do with a teaching degree - homeschool for someone else?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aduncan365, Sep 22, 2005.

1. aduncan365

aduncan365 Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

Hi all,

I know the homeschool section has a website but I couldn't find any sort of tips regarding my situation.

I am a certified grade k-6 teacher in Ontario. I haven't been able to get a job in the public school system, so I've been working in a daycare for almost a year and constantly looking for a school age teaching position.
    I'm starting to think a public school job is not happening for me and am now looking at alternatives: private education, tutoring etc.
    I have recently found out a family around the corner wants to have their 12 year old homeschooled by a certified teacher because he is bored at school.
    (I haven't talked to them yet).

I thought this was something generally taken on by parents, I didn't realize people would hire teachers to do it.

Does anyone have any experience homeschooling children that aren't theirs?

Just wondering...thanks.

Amy

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2005

No experience, but I had this conversation with someone just last night. She said that she is concerned about her son going off to highschool next year, and that maybe he should be homeschooled...by someone else! Might be worth investigating!

4. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2005

Where I live the parent has to be the main teacher. I guess you could do this covertly, or maybe it's different where you are.
    Amy, go to www.homeschoolspot.com, and post your question. There are at least two Canadian posters that I know of and they could tell you what the h.s. laws are there.

5. Syele

Syele Companion

Sep 23, 2005

Yeah it depends on where you live weather it's legal or not. it's worth checking though for sure.

I Was helping homeschool a boy at the same time as homeschooling my daughter. I taught him 3 days a week and his mom 2 days. We stopped it for several reasons but the main one was that her style of teaching didn't match mine at all. She was into timed classes and little bells and having homeroom time where you have announcements and say the pledge and stuff. He had a little mini-classroom set up. My homeschool is less "formal" School type posters/calendars are mixed with other posters school books mixed with regular storybooks in my daughters room, it looks more like a house than a classroom and we do subjects till my daughter has finished the lessons for the day and understands it well, not on a clock. Little bells made me NUTS at home LOL. If you aren't co-teaching that probably wouldn't be an issue though.

If you decide to talk to her about it, find out what her expectations are. There are almost as many styles of homeschooling as there are homschoolers.. that's why most say they are ecclectic.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 23, 2005

I taught a music class to home school children once a week. The home schooling parents here got together and created an organization for their children. Once a week they hold classes at a church, and pay certified teachers to teach certain things. Classes include: Science lab, Music (choir and lessons for instruments), specific bible studies, and more.