What to do with a child who is too loud?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoey'smom, Feb 18, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

I have a very loud student in my class. His regular voice is just loud. When he gets excited he gets even louder. He is very smart and he gets excited about learning. Which is really cool. I love how he gets excited, but he shouts out answers. He forgets to raise his hands, but this has gotten better. At centers he is also very loud you can hear him no matter where he is in the room. I have to stop working with my group several times and remind him we are quiet workers. I really enjoy this little boy. He is just SOOOO . . . loud. I thought it may be a hearing problem, but his hearing test came back ok. Do you have any suggestions?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 18, 2010

He's a kindergartener, he's probably just going to be loud. His family may be a loud family, some just are. My husband's family is one and I'm from a very quiet family. Help teach him to use an inside voice so he's not distracting.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 18, 2010

One my my 7th graders is just as loud - he only seems to have 1 volume level. Some of them never grow out of it! :haha:

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

A couple of my grade 8s suffer from exactly the same affliction! I do remind them to "turn down the volume" at least a couple of times every week.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

Thanks for the comments. I just don't know what to do, he is not bad but he is loud. I don't want to punish him for something he can't help. Yesterday was a better day. I just said his name and told him inside voice. I still had to remind him several times. As far as coming from a loud family, his sister, who I had a few years ago was so quiet. Mom is pretty quiet too. I have never met Dad. I think your right though he just might be loud.

7. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Feb 20, 2010

Maybe he has a hearing problem?

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2010

I have a Kinder student with the same problem. He is very likable otherwise. I remind him constantly to use a quiet voice. It just doesn't sink in. I will check his hearing test results. That's a good point.

9. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

I have not one, but two extremely loud children in my kindergarten class--one boy and one girl. I have them in preferential seating--alone. They join other tables for some activities. The boy speaks out randomly about anything at anytime. No matter what I do, he doesn't change. He pouts when he's reprimanded. His mother is loud too. To me, it appears to be a cultural thing.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 20, 2010

Sometimes they just need to learn what a soft or normal voice sounds like.

I model one-on-one with a student who is too loud. We practice soft voice, polite voice, and whisper voice many times. If they don't tone done once they know what a whisper voice or polite voice is, I have them go to NO VOICE for one minute. Then whisper, then polite. It really helps if they know what you mean.

In K it is a lot about training training and more training!

You could also use those "telephone" things - I forget what they are called. Shaped like an old fashioned table telephone handset. They speak into it and hear their own voices. They learn to speak softly because it is booming right in their ears! Very effective! I just found some at Really Good Stuff.

11. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

I think I might have to try the telephone things. I do try to model soft voice and loud voice and the rest of the kids are doing great. He is just loud.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 20, 2010

This is totally off the top of my head...

"Okay Friends, kindergarten is all about practicing. We are going to practice using our inside voices. Now let's tip-toe around the room and pretend we are mice. Shhh... We are going to be quiet as a mouse. Let's try that." Wrinkle your nose and make it a game. "Great class, you are quiet as a mouse now. Let's whisper to our neighbors but be quiet. We don't want to wake the cat. [insert the name of the child you are targeting], that is a great mouse voice." Keep wrinkling your nose and doing mouse movements. Then when he needs a reminder, visually wrinkle your nose, put your hands in front of you and use whatever mouse movements you used during this practice session. Do the game for a few weeks and then taper off with only the visual cue.

13. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 20, 2010

I love this idea I am going to try it. I think if we had a visual cue that may help. Thanks

14. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

Is anybody in his home hearing impaired? I know people with hearing issues and their children are louder than normal and really cannot help it. Sometimes kids are extra loud if a sibling does not hear well, too. Reminders help some.

15. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

No, as far as I know. I have had other sibliings of the family and they are pretty quiet. There is an older boy who is in highschool, I don't know much about them. It is a really nice family.

You are right reminders do help, but it is when he is in centers or we are doing something new he gets excited and his voice gets even louder. I think the hardest thing is some of the other kids who maybe weren't loud at all are starting to get loud too. I like that they are getting excited about learning, but it is making my classroom so loud.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 21, 2010

Could it be that he is just a hyper kid? Perhaps he needs something to channel his energy (Like a strip of velcro on his desk to rub his fingers on to help with the wiggles)

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

I made the telephone things with pvc pipe...much cheaper. I was able to make a class set for less than $10.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

Some kids are just LOUD! I think they can learn though.

19. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

Well I have disability that makes me become loud at times (sometimes that's the only reason why I know I'm out of remission), but some people are just generally loud.
    I can see this kid growing up into the man who drove me crazy in my technology class - not only did he talk loud, but after saying something, he'd look across the room to a person he had previously had his back to in order to get their input on a comment. It was impossible to do any work when he was present.
    You can also have "whispering games" where you encourage the children to whisper, rather than talk. A loud whisper isn't all that noisy

20. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

CutNglue I tried your idea of being quiet like mice today. It did help. He is still loud at times but center time was much better. I only had to remind him three times.