What to do with a chatty class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by daveng, May 28, 2021.

1. daveng

daveng Rookie

May 28, 2021

What do you do if a class is chatty- enough that you cannot decipher who is chatty? (Or you say Tyler, Maddy, Anna were chatty and then someone says well so was Kaden, or Anna says it wasn't me....) I hate to do whole class consequences for those kiddos who are always quiet and on task.

pooonish likes this.
  3. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 29, 2021

You reiterate expectations to the class. You give consequences when needed. You praise students who are doing the right thing and modelling the behaviour you want to see. Sometimes it’s really that simple.

pooonish and daveng like this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 29, 2021

Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones has excellent techniques. His PAT method addresses group problems such as talking in a positive way. Lots of inexpensive copies available online.

5. daveng

daveng Rookie

May 30, 2021

I read a few free online pages and already love Fred Jones's book. I'm gonna see if I can find a free copy.

pooonish likes this.
  6. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

May 30, 2021

Seconding the recommendation of Tools for Teaching; "The Classroom Management Book" by Harry Wong is also fantastic.

Also... Channel the chattiness. Kids need to talk, it helps them learn and develop their understanding of concepts, plus it can help them correct misunderstandings through conversation with peers.
    Reiterate expectations of when talking is appropriate and what kind of talk is acceptable for the classroom (on topic, academic focus, etc.) but then plan in plenty of opportunities for them to talk. My experience has been that kids are GOING to talk, and the level of chattiness correlates with the amount of talk time they're allowed. The less time you give them, the more they're GOING to talk. So plan for it, let them talk, but channel it to school topics and whatever content you're learning.