What to do with 1/2in. binders??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachnRox, Jul 6, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

Just thought I would throw this out there....What do you do with binders???

3. animalclass

animalclass Companion

Jul 6, 2008

uummm, im not sure, so thats why i didnt buy them at staples, lol.

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

MOOSE books - you can make your own name for yours
    Class photo album with captions to encourage beginning readers
    Class books

5. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

25 binders oh my!

Yeah, I got swindled! But couldn't beat the bargain! Maybe someone will inspire me! Or, I will just have to organize my recipes: entrees, deserts, breads, pastas, drinks oh, the list goes on, what to do with 25 binders! :) :lol:

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

what on earth would fit in there? throw them out before you get all carried away, and then have a fit when nothing fits. :p It's like a cute little clutch bag when you go out. What fits in there? A stick of gum??

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

ummm...

maybe a pack of gum...glass full here! :p enlighten me....I thought the 1'' one may be tooo big! :lol:

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

I bought them, too. Can't imagine what I'll do with them.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

sorry, I come from Head Start...the land of paper...and you must have documentation for everything. A 1/2 binder wouldn't even cut the mustard for a child's portfolio. Maybe, somebody mentioned...children's self-stories. "All about me" Keep it short! 4 pages max. Let them do drawings with crayon/marker...I wouldn't do pasting because it will get messy. No more than 6 pages. Anything else will fill it up!

My Book
    by Master Pre-K

I am Master Pre-K
    I like chocolate
    I like my new friends at AtoZ
    I like school.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

oh, I am on a roll!!!!!

let it double for a clip board, so they can write on the floor, sit in the hall, write outside, ...creative positive phyisical movement...without marking up your floor and rugs.

Use it for a seat when you go outside
    Homework/Go Home Folder. No tearing up or losing that one!!!
    Your substitute packet
    Your emergency list, for fire/tornado/earthquake drills, keep near door so you can grab and run
    Take Home folder for you. Notice it is small! :D
    Pay bills today folder!!
    Shopping list, with pictures and coupons. Who keeps up with that shriveled note??
    Make enemies and kiss up during the staff meetings. Bring note paper and your 1/2 binder. You will look productive.
    Telephone log to parents. One for each kid.

wow... I may try these!!!

:p

11. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

You go girl!

here are some others.....
    I was thinking of a portfolio...maybe one writing sample a month and then give it as a mother's day present. I was also thinking of a calendar binder, was trying to get feedback on that, but haven't gotten any replies. I want it to be small, and not overwhelming. :)

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

wow.. this is fun!

Take home puppet/stuffed animal binder. Each child takes home favorite stuffed animal. Spends the night with child. Must dictate 3-5 page story. What ____ did at my house. _____ ate McDonald's for dinner. ________ couldn't take a bath, so Auntie sponged him off. Put binder and puppet in giant ziploc bag. They must bring it back with story. Promotes neatness and enforces literacy skills. Looks like an actual book inside the binder. No graduation scrolls or big brother's hs graph paper. They will be encouraged to use notebook paper, and make nice pictures!

13. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 6, 2008

Portfolios would be a good idea....
    I will use them for daily folders. You don't need a lot in it but a binder holds up better than other folders.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2008

I don't think you can do anything with them. You should just send them to me :p.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

behavior modification

there's always 2 or more of these in every room!!

John's Daily Folder

Make daily chart and give a positive reward at end of the week. Let child see progress. "Ok, today you were a good listener and used your words when somebody bothered you. You get a smiley face :) for Monday!

keeps nosy people out of John's business.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

put a sheet in one binder for each kid in your class and keep it by your phone. jot down notes when you call parents.

put one in your subtub with class info.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

maintenance/work order log

Tuesday, Sept 5 - called custodian to repair broken chair.
    Wednesday, Sept 7 - called custodian to replace broken light fixture.

then, when P comes in and says, why is your room like this? You have documentation!

Field trip binder.

Again, flimsy folders can't hold all that information that you go to so often!

Book clubs

Money should be kept in something sturdier than file folder

Field trip log

Parents who come. Parents who should NOT come. Kids who normally come late. Kids who should not get notices! :D List of kids who paid. Average amount that you must cough up to pay balance. Tickets. Confirmation numbrs. Nice guy who's name you can never remember. Bring entire binder with you on trip. Carry back flyers, lunchroom notes, stick in binder.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2008

sub tub...how cute!!!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

library/lunch cards or ID#

nothing worse than dropping your kids off, only to have one chase you down in the lounge because he doesn't have his library/lunch card number. $2.00 for those who left lunch. Hey, you could let them call home, but wouldn't you waste your entire lunch standing with them while they call?

Free lunch forms, highlighted, with rude note... dear mom & dad, I will go hungry if you don't fill this out.

last but not least

little things you can jot down, trace, or cut out during boring staff meetings, without looking suspicious!! Address labels and envelopes for all those notes home. Stick them on while pretending to listen!

nite all!!!

20. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Maybe I should send them to you :)

21. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I used them in my Biography Center. I put a couple of short biographies in each binder with page protectors. Not big enough for much else.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 7, 2008

Yeah, I agree that 1/2'' binders are pretty useless. MasterK, you're cracking me up :)

You could put one in the trunk of your car, and use it to clear snow in the winter?

I ended up buying a class set of 1'' ones. They're flimsy, yes, but it's all I can afford. I plan to use them as IPOD binders. My hope is that if they break, parents will offer to buy their child a new one :p

23. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I bought them too. I am going to use them for one of two things: A poetry binder or a word study binder. For poetry, they illustrate the poems that we read. I normally have them glue the poem into a notebook but it gets very messy, so I might use the binders. If I use them for word study, I will put a pencil pouch in it for them to hold their words. They will then use the binder for their written word study assignments. Most of my word study activities don't have a paper, so it won't need to hold too much!

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

I love the word study binder! You could do all kinds of stuff with that!

25. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Heading back to Staples...

Thanks Master PreK! I have decided to exchange them for the 1'' binder. So what would you do with that one? lol.

I too, do a Poetry journal usually in a spiral,but totally agree about gluing! I will have a Poetry Art Binder, now I can just hole punch the poems! :)

Thanks for the tips! :)

26. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

Some teachers at my schoool use binders as "school to home journals". Every Friday the kids add a piece of loose leaf paper and write about their week at school, it could be about what science expirements they did, about what happened in art or music, something silly that happened in the classroom, or anything new they learned.
    Then another piece of paper is added after the child's weekly journal entry for the parents to write on over the weekend. The parents are supposed to write a letter to their child in response to the journal entry. The next week all the kids get to read (and possibly share with the class if time allows) what their parents wrote.
    I think it's a great way for parents to be more involved an show their children that they are interested in what goes on at school.
    I bought the 1 inch binders to use and they say they'll hold 200 pages. So if the 1/2 inch binders hold 100 pages it should be enough for the year.

27. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I use them for Poems for Home. We won't be doing a poem a week- only 18 and I am sure that many will fit in my new 90 1" binders...

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

nah...I have a few...saved them for college work, but they don't like that kinda thing anymore. everything is online - email all reports and papers or turn them in plain....no more book reports in binders or clear binders with the colored holder on the end. Guess college professors got tired of carrying them around too!

I buy 2-3" binders when they are on sale. I use them for my original copies of transcripts and certificates. I have extra copies in my safe deposit box. I also have warranties, receipts and pictures in another one. I have all my professional development certificates in one also. yes, I also have a few boxes of sheet protectors. How on earth did we live without those???

I use a window washer with an extended pole to clean snow off my car --- but that 1/2 binder could do a quickie job. :D

29. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I am teaching a life skills course and plan to help the kids fill binders with interesting recipes, tips for getting out stains, pamphlets, emergency numbers...things they will need as they graduate.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

Peruse thru the back shelves of mark downs at office depot! They sell them dirt cheap...and when back to school sales are over, the goofy colors that did not sell will be so cheap you will not believe it!

31. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I would use them to create data notebooks. Students can keep track and graph test scores in a variety of subjects, writing scores on the 6-traits, to reflect on their progress during the quarter, etc. I figure they will come in handy during my student-led conferences this year.

32. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

I teach preschool so I love them for name tags and tracers. I run them through the die-cut machine.

33. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

What'd y'all pay for these 1/2" and 1" binders. Sounds like a great deal!!!

34. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Staples is where everyone got them

I didn't get them because I can't think of anything to use them for. But they are so cheap I might get them anyway. God knows I have gotten much more expensive things I have never used before

35. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

WOW!!! Those are GREAT!!!!!.........only now I have to go buy 10 million 1/2 inch binders...........rofl:lol:

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I made them when I was in industrial arts shop class. :rolleyes:

When you think about it, they are better than those flimsy pocket folders or the ones with the three prong fasteners. Plastic folders are sturdier, but a binder beats them all! Pocket folders die as soon as they hit water, food, etc. Kids lose them easily. I know teachers who spend a ton of money buying take home folders because parents never do. Seems like a waste to me. As an aide, I had to laminate them! they still got messed up or lost.

But a 1/2 binder is a to lose, and more difficult to destroy!

37. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 8, 2008

38. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

They are at Staples for a quarter a piece. :2up:

39. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I use a 1/2" binder for my lesson plans and one for student contact information. They are absolutely perfect. Especially for upper grade classrooms, they are great for "final" pieces of writing. I have also used them for units that we are using... Social Studies, then dump when done. Use for Science, then dump and so on. It teaches kids how to organize their work... a skill that most need. Another suggestion would be to use them as poetry binders.

40. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I will probably use them for centers. I can't decide how I'm doing them this year though. Either I will have 1 for each center to hold all the materials and directions or I will have one for each student to hold their directions and finished work. I could just put all the materials they need in the folder at the beginning of the week so they know what needs to be accomplished by Friday.

41. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

When I taught 1st grade I found some red and orange (go OU and OSU) binders on the clearance shelf at Wal Mart for a quarter each. I made classroom books with them. I wrote with a sharpie right on the front (but didn't date it so I could use it the next year). Now I use a lot of V. Levin's book ideas@ pre-kpages.com . But these are a few of the books we wrote when I taught 1st grade. There are a million ideas out on the web.

First Grade Went Walking, Candy Wrapper Math Book, For Halloween I was …, We Can…, 10 Apples Up On Top, Firefighters use…, Mrs Chapmans Horrible Bad Sad Day, It used to be a candy wrapper and now it’s a …, How to cook a turkey, My teacher gave me a KISS and now it’s a…,It was a pink heart and now it’s a…, When i am 100 I will look like…, If I had 100…,When I am President I will, After the toothfairy gets a tooth she…, ABCs of Civil Rights, Limericks, The frog lives in the pond (poem with a fill in word), Mrs. Chapman’s Very hungry first graders, The Gingerbread Man.