What to do when...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Apr 27, 2012.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Apr 27, 2012

I am currently working as a leave replacement Teacher assistant. The position is set to end at the end of the school year and I have not heard anything about next year yet. My co-workers have said they usually let people know in August. The problem is I only have a few more sick days left because of interviews. I continue to be called and don't know if I should pass them up or go. Does anyone know if schools are allowed to tell employees that call to check up on you as part of a normal reference call that you took more days off than you were allowed?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2012

I would think that principals could mention absenteeism if they were asked questions about your performance.

In some districts you can get fired for misusing sick time. Sick time is meant to be used when you are sick or caring for a sick family member. That's at least how it works in my district.

I think you might want to consider scheduling interviews after school or over the phone during your lunch period (if you have duty free lunch).

Good luck.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2012

Principals can mention absenteeism if asked, if they are part of your references. I second trying to schedule interviews for before or after school hours or on days that you have off of school.