What To Do When You've Tried Everything, and the Hits Just Keep Coming

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Keling9, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Aug 29, 2005

Okay, so what do you recommend to do when you have a student who hits other children and lies about it, even when you've witnessed it?

I have moved this child away from his neighbors because of the hitting. I've chatted with his parents a couple times already. We visited the principal just to keep her informed. Time outs work, to a point, but it only stops this behavior temporarily. We have a sticker chart for good behavior. I use 1-2-3 Magic as part of my discipline, but it's not helping in this situation. I've chatted with the student about keeping hands to himself. He seems remorseful at first. (But oh, how he forgets after 10 minutes.) I give praise whenever possible. Does anyone else have a difficult student like this? How do you handle the behavior?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2005

When did you start the school year? If it was very recent (the last week) then you might want to give it more time and just be very consistant. Also, did he come from any structure before this year or does he need to be taught more social skills? Do his parents seem willing to help the situation? That will help your problems a great deal by at least having cooperative parents to work with. If you know his behaviors at home that will also help in knowing how to deal with it.

4. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

Our school has a policy that if a student is consistanly having disruptive behavior the parents have to be prepared to come and sit with their child for the whole day in the classroom. You get to teach and they become responsible for making sure the child is behaving. It is amazing how fast some parents all of a sudden get the idea that they need to work on their child's behavior.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2005

Oooo, that's a good policy:)! I like that one! I'll have to remember that one.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 31, 2005

Start little. Make a chart he can take around with him! Everytime he does anything right. Like you ask him to sit on the floor give him a star/sticker whatever. When he gets to five let him do something fun.
    Does he have an one on one?If not you might want to see about getting him one.
    Teach him how to play with the other children. He may not have much exposure to children and just plan doesn't know how to interact. His way is to hit so he gets the attention.
    For circle time but a "big" square on the carpet for him to sit on. Tell him his hands and feet have to stay inside the square. If he does it he gets a star or what ever.
    He sounds like the little boy I worked with last year. But just you being the teacher with no help is going to be extremely hard.
    See if they are willing to get you a para.

7. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Aug 31, 2005

Have you tried giving him special jobs to do? I bet he would like to be your helper. He obviously is craving power and relationship. Having a job would give him both. Hopefully the hitting will decrease and he'll eventually learn to be a friend to the other kids. This is a proactive approach. You should continue separating him from others when he hurts them.

8. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Aug 31, 2005

We've been in school 8 days. He is one on my children that hasn't attended any sort of preschool or social thing prior to entering Kindergarten. He does, however, have older siblings (Like a year or two older). I'm at a loss because much of his behavior is unprovoked. For instance:

Today, he came into the classroom, put his bookbag away, and as he was walking to his seat, swatted a child 3 times on the bottom. I immediately put him in time-out.

He turned around and poked the kid behind him in the eye in front of the principal right before lunch, then proceeded to hit others during lunch and at recess.

I no longer allow him to go to the restroom with anyone...so he went by himself....only to take a few swings (making contact on the last swing) at a passing first grader I had last year that . (Lucky for him, this kid decided not to retalliate!)

For now, this is what I'm trying. I have given this little guy a reward chart for his desk. (Since he can no longer sit at a table with the rest of his friends.) For every 30 minutes he is on-task and following directions, then I give him a sticker. When the chart is filled, I give him a prize. Of course, if he touches anyone, then it's an automatic time-out.

I've thought about having his mother or family member come and sit with him. I talk with his parents every night when they come to pick him up. They are fully aware of what's going on...but this might be more of an eye-opener for them. Something to definately consider.

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Sep 1, 2005

I know it sounds all touchy feelly and like it would be rewarding his bad behavior but I have tried it and it worked. I would really encourage it. I went to a seminar by a guy who uses it in a school-wide program. This little guy is dying for attention--he's the runt in his family. Try it for just one day. Tell him when he first comes into the class (or out on the playground) that he's your helper for the day. Do it before he gets into anything.

10. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 1, 2005

I had (and still have) a student who was quite similar. She had big problems with pushing and hitting anyone who was in her way. She was having problems every day, and having her sit away from the others for a little while only solved the problem temporarily. What I finally did was warn her that if she couldn't keep her hands to herself, then she would have to play by herself the rest of the day. After she pushed again, I separated her from the others. She ate lunch by herself, chose a center activities to do at a table by herself, and stood in her own separate line when we walked in the hallway. Maybe it sounds harsh, but it worked. She HATED it. I made sure to talk to her about why she was being separated from the others and what she could do differently the next day to avoid being separated again. It didn't solve the problem completely, but it made her much more manageable. Closer to the end of the year, when she had good friends that she really wanted to play with, something else that helped was having the kids tell her when she made them angry. When she realized that her friends wouldn't want to play with her if she hit, etc. them, she calmed down even more. She hates being told, "If you hit me, I won't play with you." She still has the occasional problem, but overall she's doing much better.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2005

That is what I even do with my 3 year olds. If they can't get along with their friends, then they can't be with them. The kids know if they misbehave badly during mealtime that they will then have to go to the dining room to eat alone. If they can't get along with their friends during centers, then they will have to play alone as well. Even if they are in the same room together, they hate having to play with a toy by themselves while the others all play together with something else.