What to do when you're done..

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Jul 23, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Do you have this type of poster in your room?

What does it look like and what type of things can your kids do when they are done?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

First my class checks their work folder for unfinished work. If they are all caught up, my kids can free read.

Books that are kept in their book boxes are only "good-fit" books. So, when they have free time, they get to browse the regular classroom library and read any book they want.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

When I taught 2nd grade, I had a Workshop Way wall. When they finished, they looked in their unfinished work folder and completed anything in there that was no finished. If they didn't have anything in there, they had several options to choose from including: reading a book, write a letter to a friend, illustrate your favorite part of a book they were reading, rewrite an ending for a story we had read, etc.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2010

Me, too!

6. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I have done some of the following when students are done:

1.) I copied a tic-tac-toe grid. Inside each gird was activities that students can do when they are done with their work. I typed the activities inside each box from my computer. The students kept the tic-tac-toe sheet inside their classwork folder. Later during the day or if I wasn't busy, I would check their activites. Afterwards, the student would put an x inside the box once the activity was complete and checked by me or my assistant.

Activites for tic-tac-toe boxes:

~Put your spelling words in abc order.
    ~Write your spelling words and make all the vowels red.
    ~Look in a magazine or newspaper and cut and paste 10 verbs on construction paper. (nouns, contractions, etc.)
    ~Write a story using 6 word wall words.
    ~Make up 3 adding sentences and 3 subtraction sentences.
    Ex. Five apples on a tree and two fell off. (5-2=3)
    ~Write ten sets of rhyming words.
    ~Read a story and illustrate it on paper.
    ~Make a cross word puzzle using 6 spelling words.
    ~Write a thank you letter to someone who has helped you.
    ~Look around the classroom and find 2 things shape like a circle, square,triangle, rectangle. Write the name of each and draw a picture of it.
    ~Make a list of your speling words. After each word, write how many syllables each words contains.

When students complete at least 3 activities and they have tic-tac-toe, I would give them a treat on Fridays.

I hope this helps.

7. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I have copied several pages and laminated them..word searches, spelling word game pages, etc....since they are laminated they take a page and white board marker and work on that. When finished they can erase and put back for another student! Also they always have the option to read a book if they choose.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

I have a small pocket chart up on the wall.

I write choices on sentence strips, so that I can turn over the 1-6 choices that best fit the moment.

Ex: if everyone is engaged in a silent activity, then I may only have read or write at your seat turned over

Other times: extra literacy stations, AR quizzes, math games, puzzles, etc.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

these are some great idea. now I need to just choose which route I want to go. I love how you use the laminated papers.
    That is a good idea.

10. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 24, 2010

Great Lynn's think alike. I also allow my students to free-read or go to centers.

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I do not necessarily want them to go to centers. I had the problem last year where they would try to finish as fast as they could just to go to centers. Their favorite computer center. I can't do that. It needs to be desk work.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Bump---

How many choices do you think are too many? I have made a list of things and I have about 5 silent activities.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

I don't usually give more than 5 choices. But sometimes one of those choices is extra stations (meaning they can visit a literacy or math station that they weren't "scheduled" for), so that works out to more...