What to do when you have 1 too many focuses...

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by forbiddenpluto, Mar 8, 2007.

1. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Mar 8, 2007

It's job hunting time again and I'm a bit confuzzled on what to do. Last year I was a first year out of field teacher so I know I was given aLOT of leniency when it came to my resume and cover letter.

Now I'm in a quandry. I am currently a kindergarten teacher, however my true love is drama and that is where I'm focusing most of my attention. However, finding a position for drama is hard due to the lack of open positions. I don't know how to word my cover letter to include both and not have my elementary experience looking like it's a back up (which I'm not going to lie it totally is).

How do I make a generic cover letter and include both and not make it look unbalanced? I'm also planning on switching grades to 4th. How do I go about that?

I'm just confused. Thanks for any help you can provide.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2007

I don't think you can take the focus off of elementary, but I do think you can specify in your letter that you feel confident in the intermediate grades and stuff like that.

Have you thought about starting a drama club in the school? If anything that will show you have ambition.

As you mentioned, drama jobs are scarce.. in elementary schools it's usally an after school club. In jr. high and HS the kids are more serious and so there are often electives for drama/acting,etc.

Have you thought about certification in secondary?

4. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Mar 8, 2007

I have my certification in Drama 6-12. I was also thinking about getting my English 6-12 to make me more of an asset to the school.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2007

Think about looking at high schools that have a Forensics Team (AKA Speech & Debate.) Good drama coaches can be hard to find.

How about 2 different letters? That seems to make the most sense to me, since they would be placed in different files. One for you K-4 cert, another for your drama cert.

edited to add: If you're considering coaching Speech and Debate, here's the website for the NCFL. Don't let the "Catholic" in the league name throw you off; at least half of the schools in the league are public schools.http://www.ncfl.org/leagues/leaguelist/leaguelist.html