what to do when you feel you don't have admin support

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Aug 16, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 16, 2013

Like you're on the dislike/not favorite list

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

You keep your head down and stay out of trouble.

4. live

live Companion

Aug 16, 2013

I agree. This was my whole last year. Make sure to document everything and be prepared to back yourself up in case they decide to question you.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 16, 2013

Honestly, you start looking elsewhere for employment. I couldn't work in a school where I didn't feel supported so I would stick it out for the year, and find a different position the next year.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 16, 2013

I've been on the dislike list for the last couple of years:lol:. I have learned that my principal only likes it when we agree with him during staff meetings, so since I can't do that, I don't say anything. I try to stay out of his line of sight as much as possible but that is easy since he rarely initiates interaction with me (rarely says hello) and I only work with 8 other teachers in my school. To think that I am not his least liked person on staff -- she hasn't learned not to voice her opinion. :whistle:

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 16, 2013

This...and be preparing to find a new job next year. My entire team was on the "bad list" from day 1 last year. I started saving copies of data and evidence of growth for my portfolio right away. I didn't ask for anything or interact with admin unless it was an absolute necessity, because I quickly learned that everything I said was being used against me. When I did have to talk to them, I made sure I always had a witness even if it was just someone standing nearby within earshot. When state test scores came out my grade level went up by almost 20% in every area while the others all went down and that still didn't change things for us one bit. However, I was able to use that data to get another job. Focus on doing your best and looking towards the future. Find some friends you can trust at work to get you though in the meantime. My team was a lifesaver last year.

ETA: At one point, my union was heavily pushing me to file a grievance for harassment, but I didn't do it. It's so hard for us younger teachers that don't have tenure. New jobs will only take the recommendation of your current/most recent principal so you're totally dependent on them or your entire career could be over.

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

Definitely this. It helps it you work at a larger school that has department chairs/grade level leads that are also willing to put in a good word for you. That's what saved me from my first bad administration experience.

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 17, 2013

For the first time ever, in any job I've had, I feel like I'm on the dislike list. My P and I had an issue on the second professional day, and I've been getting a weird vibe from him. He walked through my room twice yesterday. I'm flying low under the radar and documenting everything, everything, everything and might be looking elsewhere next year.

Beth

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Yup. I agree with waterfall, too.

11. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 17, 2013

Lots of good advice here. Also, make sure you pick up on anything your boss thinks is important and do it! I have seen teachers who were on principal's "bad list" for one reason or another who then got in more trouble for ignoring what might seem like little things, like posting rules or standards exactly the way the principal wants them.

12. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Sep 7, 2013

Omg I'm so glad you all mentioned documentation. I have had 2 incidents with the principal where she intimidated me. I will document tonight. I know the principal doesn't like me. Every time she talks to staff she always uses an example/situation that happened to me and it always makes me feel uncomfortable when she does this cause she knows the situation is me.
    I will be looking for a New school for next year.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 7, 2013

After working for 8 Ps, I do see one thing that all Ps have in common. They really want to see that teachers value what they are trying to say. While I have had 7 good experiences with Ps, I did have one where we just seemed different and not connecting. It was P#2.

One day, she talked about a good book she read during a faculty meeting. I actually liked her presentation. I told her after the meeting I asked where I could buy the book (this was before 1997 when amazon.com came out.) She said I could borrow hers. I love reading, and I truly enjoyed the book and learned a lot..I was a pretty new teacher. I told her about the things I learned and she smiled and asked if I would do a presentation about how it might be applied to the rest of the staff. I agreed. Things really changed after that, and we got along really well from then on.

14. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 7, 2013

Take a look at two different scenarios:

Scenario #1: You think that you're principal doesn't like/support you. You think about all of your interactions with him and try to analyze why he doesn't like you. You join in on conversations with other staff members who talk about the principal's lack of support. Whenever you see your principal, you have a bad feeling in your gut and have a strong desire to change schools or professions. It's understandable that you feel this way. Your body language and attitude unconsciously reflect your fear and distress about this. Your principal picks up on your body language and attitude, and it becomes a vicious cycle. He can tell that you don't like or support him, even though you say nothing.

Scenario #2: You think that you're principal doesn't like/support you. You think to yourself, "He is very stressed out, and is struggling with running this school. He is doing the best he can with the skills that he has, but he needs help. He needs the support of his staff, of me. He may make decisions that I don't agree with, but who knows how I would react if I were in his shoes? He's making the best decisions he can with the information and experiences he's had." Now when you see the principal, you give him a warm greeting, knowing the heavy load he is operating under, knowing how much you appreciate it when your students offer you support. You give him the benefit of the doubt when you think about him, realizing that you would never want his job in a million years, and you are thankful that he is doing it.

Your body language and attitude in scenario 2 are completely different from scenario 1. Your principal sees you in a whole different light. He may even reach out and support you, who knows?

You just illustrated the power of scenario 2.