What to do when only a fraction of your students are working

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by futureteach24, Oct 12, 2014.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Oct 12, 2014

One of my best classes this year had a bad week last week. Only a fraction of the students did their work on Friday and the fraction of students working had been decreasing all week. I am not sure what is going on with them. The only thing I can think of is the week prior to this, we had a difficult unit that quite a few didn't understand. I tried teaching it multiple ways and even used some online games on the iPads. This helped some but not all. What can I do to get them back on track before a lack of work becomes a habit. I have never had so few students working.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2014

This is a behavior issue. What was your response to them when they weren't working in class?

4. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Oct 12, 2014

I tried verbal redirects, reminding them about the importance of the assignments, etc.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2014

When those things didn't work, what did you do?

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 12, 2014

It is time to up the stakes a bit. Reminders aren't working for you. I would suggest going one of two routes (or possibly both).

1. Choose one fun activity that is simple and with almost no teacher prep. An example would be a review game. Have it at least once a day for a short period of time (example: 15 minutes). Only those who do their work can play the game. The others will have to spend the 15 minutes finishing the work. It will take a few days for this to work, but if you are consistent, it should work.

2. The tougher route...If you don't have your work done then you will have to ______

you choose one of these

1. after school detention
    2. Work on it during silent lunch.
    3. go to another classroom or office to finish the work
    4 contact parent
    5 a different consequence

Reminders are often seen by many students (especially boys) more as rewards then as a consequence. They like the attention. That is why constant reminding hardly ever works on boys.

Many well behaved girls often don't like the reminders as they don't like people pointing out little things they do wrong, and they want to please their teacher. For them reminders often work--unfortunately they are usually the ones who do their work.