What to do now

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Aug 24, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

With the utter fiasco of getting a job and losing it in the past two weeks... I'm starting to try and prepare myself for the possibility of not having a teaching job again this year.

I really need to start thinking of a game plan and wanted to hear some seasoned thoughts. I said I refused to sub again this year (I know I know, subbing gets your foot in the door... yeah NOT in this area) but now I'm thinking it still might be the best option where I can actually teach.

My problem is the money. I have struggled financially for the past two years. There have been many months where my boyfriend has had to pay my bills because I came up short. I really don't want to go through this anymore and it is putting a huge damper on our relationship. We've been together three years and I truly believe that even though he won't say it, we aren't engaged yet because of the fact that I offer no stability. I feel like he probably feels used by me because I am always broke and need his help. And it's truly not fair to him. It's been a big struggle.

I have a few options for things I can do, I tutor part-time, so I have that, but it's very very part time. Right now I work as a TSS which pays decent money, and that's something I could do full-time if the need arose, but hours are tough during the school year, only afternoons, evenings, weekends. I also recently got offered to teach students in China over webcam and help them with their English. The pay is great for that but doesn't seem like it will be consistent/long time before I actually get paid, and the hours are horrible (8-midnight every day, the only time I get to see my BF really). And subbing of course. I'm also hoping to get some extra money babysitting.

I'm sorry for the marathon thread and I hope I haven't thrown out too many life problems here, but I appreciate all the advice everyone gives on here and I need an outsiders opinion, or opinions! Would anyone like to offer their two cents on a life plan here? Anything else I can do to make some money? Careers you have done on the side that are good for teachers and pay decent?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :dizzy::2cents::thanks:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

I know teachers that also work retail or waitress/bar tend. Usually at night or on the weekends.

Is there a way to cut back on what you are spending so that you don't have to ask your bf to bail you out? What would you do if you didn't have him to help you out?

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Aug 24, 2014

Oh no! What happened? I thought you got a position and I was super excited for you!

Have you though about applying for Paraprofessional jobs or even aides?

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, you gave up the job you didn't lose it. If finances were a concern then maybe you should have given it a chance.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2014

I'm not up to date on your situation. Did you give up a job? What happened?

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 24, 2014

This.

I would look for a full time job outside the teaching field as a waitress, office manager, or para just to have a steady income.

8. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

Thanks for the tip! I have been thinking about going back to bartending because it's quick money- I used to do that in college.

I honestly don't spend anything other than bills. I don't go out, I don't go out to eat, I don't go shopping. I haven't done anything for myself all summer.

9. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

Thanks kt! I did get a position and it turned out to be something totally different from what I was hired for and something I knew I wouldn't be comfortable doing. It was a very far commute and I ended up turning it down after I got the offer. Yes I definitely regret it but I would've been miserable every day so part of me doesn't regret it. I had a few other things lined up that I verbally was offered and ended up not getting.

So I'm most likely back in the subbing boat with you!

I have! I didn't before but I actually started applying. Maybe I'll hear something from that. I'm running into the same problem as you though- they would rather have me as a sub than a para!

10. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

When I say I lost the job, I mean I literally lost myself the job by giving it up.

I posted this thread to get words of support and I do not need people reminding me that I screwed up. Yes I know I should've kept the job, but I would not have been happy there. So I guess I should be miserable every day and drive 40 miles each way to maybe have money?

If I wanted advice like this I would sit on the couch and continue to beat myself up and say the same thing over and over that you just said TeacherNY. I came looking for words of support.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

I nanny during the summer. About five hours a day for over $200 per week. That was fairly cheap for my area.

Try care.com and sittercity.com. Lots of people look for after school care or before school care. Then you could still sub some too.

12. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

For those of you that haven't seen my other thread. I was offered a position in a special ed private school. I was told the students would be 8-12 years old, high functioning, more behavior problems than autism, which is what I have experience in. Then the position changed without them giving me a heads up to tell me, to 11-17 years old, very low functioning autism.

I turned down the job because I felt completely blindsided and unprepared to do that job. I didn't feel like I would be happy working with that population, and really felt more like I would be crying every day. I'm just being honest here. Maybe it wasn't the best decision and trust me, I've already beaten myself up about it.

I had several other verbal offers on the table that turned out to not be good, which I should've known but whatever, I made a mistake, I screwed up, I KNOW THIS.

Right now I am trying to weigh out my options, be positive, and get some solid advice from people who have been there. So if you could please offer some support I would appreciate it.

13. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

Thanks dgpiaffeteach! I apply on care.com all the time! Have you had good experiences with them? I've had a few people get back to me but mostly it seems like those profiles are fakes- the ones without the pictures of course!

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2014

Where in PA are you? Baltimore City PS (Maryland) is still hiring; we need Math, Science and SPED teachers the most.

We have many teachers that live in the York, PA area and commute to Baltimore everyday to teach because our pay scale is by far one the best in MD and in south, central PA. Just a thought.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 24, 2014

I used care.com to find two of my summer nannying gigs. I did my second summer with the one family this year :)

16. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 24, 2014

Don't know where you are, but job opportunities are limited because of what's happening in Philly with the cutbacks. Teachers are leaving in droves and taking jobs in the suburbs.
    You seem "the silent sufferer" type. I think you need to be more aggressive. What makes you stand out from the other candidates? Is there an after-school happy hour where you could schmooze with staffers? Is there another field you could go into? My neighbor got fed up subbing and recently started a new job in PR.

17. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 24, 2014

I'm in the Pittsburgh area. I am aggressive. That's why I'm so frustrated. I email principals, follow up after my applications, send resumes personally to principals along with applications, call all my contacts and ask them for help, drop off apps in person, etc. The principals around here don't answer emails and when they do they give out responses like "I'll pass your info onto HR".

I'm not going into another field. I'm not just gonna give up just because it's tough. I was meant to teach.

18. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 25, 2014

Look into private preschool jobs. They are always hiring. The pay is lower, but it's consistent until you find a teaching job. Those families often need nannies too, especially if it's an upscale preschool.

I agree with other posters who suggested being a para or retail.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2014

I'm really sorry nothing has worked out for you. It must be hard seeing everyone get back to school. I agree with the advice you've been given. I would probably continue to work in a school as a para or a sub. Can you move back home to save on living expenses? Keep your eyes open, especially in districts where you've previously interviewed. They could have sudden openings, and you could be the easy answer to fill that opening. Swallow your pride and call everywhere- explain that a job fell through and you're still available - but you'd have to be willing to do anything for a foot in the door. Good luck.

20. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

I agree about private preschool. A good friend of mine is a certified teacher at a preschool/Montessori school. I don't know what she makes but being certified it's gotta be more than the others.

It's an idea if you don't want to sub. Having an actual classroom. Being certified you could teach kindergarten.

21. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

Thank you all for the suggestions! Moving back home really isn't an option, it would definitely be a whole lot easier that way! But I have cats and my family has an insane dog, there's really no room for me, it's something we've thought about before.

Thanks for the Montessori tip texashistory! There are a couple of those jobs posted now that I've applied for so we'll see!

It is definitely tough watching everyone go back to school. I even got a little teary eyed in the Dollar Tree teacher section. But what's the expression... I made my bed and now I have to sleep in it?

There's a district hiring a last minute teacher that I already spoke to the principal about, and I have an interview on Thursday for a LTS position (8 weeks), so there's definitely some possibilities! I won't give up hope!