What to do in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

My friend is coming up from San Diego and we're going to San Francisco tomorrow (Sunday morning through Monday evening). It's only about 2 hours from here :)

Neither of us have been there - what should we do?
    There will be 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 three year old - all girls :)
    We don't want to spend a lot of money as we're 2 broke teachers, and I know SF is kinda expensive anyways. So it's not about shopping, it's about seeing SF.

Thank you :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I lived in SF and am now just a few hours south, so I'll give you a good run down this afternoon! I'm on my way out the door right now. ;)

4. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 28, 2013

Pier 39 is a must visit. You can't miss a peek at the sea lions. There's a carousel the kids will probably enjoy.Don't forget a ride on a cable car and a visit down Lombard Street. If you can get affordable ticks in advance to Alcatraz then do so. A walk/run on the Golden Gate bridge was one of my favorites when I visited last year.
    If your going to Ghirardelli Square these are the must see places:
    Ghirardelli- It's crowded in the middle of the day. It's best to go in the morning or evening if you can.
    Kara's Cupcakes is delicious!
    Check Groupon for good deals if you haven't already.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

Ferry ride to Sausalito-walk through the Ferry building on Embarcadero first.

Trolley car ride-grab the one by Union Street Square.

A walk down Mission Street is fascinating (possibly sketchy).

China Town is great.

Haight Street is really touristy now.

Dolores Park is a great place for a picnic if the weather is nice.

The Walt Disney Museum is AWESOME. Academy of Science and the Exploratorium are great but admission can be a bit pricey.

If you take the trolley, it might take you to Fisherman's Warf which is fun to walk around-you could get ice cream at Ghiradelli's!

Does this help?

Are you planning on visiting the Monterey area? I'd be happy to show you around!

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

:eek: How have I never been there?!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Oh, yes!!! I love Dolores Park. Great for kids, too! :thumb:

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

I've never been there, either, Yellow! :(

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

Linguist, I just saw this. Some of the ideas require further driving, but maybe you'll find something you'd like to do in the article.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2013

Fisherman's Wharf is fun to walk. The area's not that big, but for someone who's never been before, it's fun.

The De Young and California Academy of Sciences
    museums may be nice depending on what exhibits are going on at the time.

Walk through China Town & Union Square.

Ride the cable cars.

There's a zoo there too.

11. Harper

Harper Companion

Dec 28, 2013

I know I am about to suggest something a bit pricey, but for what you get it is a really great deal...
    http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco
    They are often available at Costco.
    I think there is an Alcatraz upgrade instead of the bay cruise.
    Disney Museum is cool. Ferry Building is a foodie delight. Really cool sculpture along the Embarcadero.

If you are debating museums, checks their websites and see which exhibits are showing...
    The Jewish Museum is one of my favorites!

Angel Island is a gorgeous hike.
    Oh, Marin Headlands and Fort Cronckhite.

Come over the the East Bay and there are so many new adventures!!!

Have fun!!!!

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 29, 2013

Thank you guys!
    So far it looks like: Chinatown, Lombard Street, the Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach, and of course riding the cable cars. I'm taking my ipad with me so I can look up this list just in case I forgot something.

I don't think we're going to Alcatraz, it sounds like it would take up a lot of time. We basically have a day and a half.
    But the good thing SF is about 2.5 hours from here, so I can visit again soon.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2013

I agree Linguist that I'd skip the Alcatraz tour too if I was short on time. I didn't do it when I last visited SF. It's almost kind of wierd to me that people find an old prison so fascinating.

If you find you have more time than you thought, you could look at the painted ladies & if you're fascinated with haunted, mysterious things, go to the Winchester House.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2013

Ms I the Winchester house is cool!!!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2013

Diznee, I've never done the Winchester House tour, but I've seen TV documentaries on it. Is it really that scary and/or have any strange affect or impact on you after you did it?

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2013

It was interesting...totally forgot about that place being I SF. Hubby & I went there! It was weird that the lady just kept building...I mean stairs & doors that go no where.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2013

I personally don't seek out haunted places. They give me the creeps. For example, I could have gone on a tour of the Whaley House in San Diego, but chose not to do it. I know people are fascinated with spending the night in the actual room of the Lizzie Borden House where her parents were murdered. I personally don't see the fascination.

I've been to the Queen Mary a few times, but only walking around the upper decks. I never stayed on the ship or went down below. I've walked parts of the grounds of the Hotel Del Coronado, but again, just walked parts of the grounds. I didn't want to stay in the room of the lady who committed suicide in which they say her particular room is haunted.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2013

We didn't know it was haunted... The owner believed it was haunted....

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2013

Yes, the eccentric lady who lived at the Winchester House was the family heir to the Winchester rifle fortune. She held seances & continuously constructed onto the house for yrs & yrs. And like you said she had staircases & doors that led to nowhere in which they'd just lead to a wall or the ceiling.

20. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 29, 2013

Alcatraz is definitely not a quick in and out tour. Part of the fun was the boat ride there. What I found most fascinating about it was all the inside stories and things you don't normally find about it online. I got some of the best views and pictures of San Francisco looking out from Alcatraz.

21. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 30, 2013

Drive along Ocean Beach and head north to the Golden Gate Bridge. Park at the south end of the bridge and walk across. Those views are unforgettable.
    Also - consider taking public transportation. Take Muni (city buses) and walk.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 31, 2013

It was a lot of fun! I used to live in San Diego and love the way it looks, with a lot of things to do. I currently live near a city with a half million population, but I swear the city is like a ghost town. You can't just walk around, getting lost in the crowd, there is no one around. And I'm not exaggerating!
    So San Francisco was very nice with the urban areas and with people everywhere.
    We saw / went to:
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Chinatown (twice)
    North Beach
    Union Square
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Sausalito
    Rode the Cable Cars (a lot, we had the day pass)
    Drove down Lombard Street
    Pier 39

The only place we didn't see that we planned on was Ghirardelli Square.

We actually didn't drive a lot. Sunday when we first got there, we drove to Chinatown, had lunch and walked around, then went to the hotel. Then walk out to Fisherman's Wharf and walked around all night, and out to Pier 39. The hotel was only a few blocks away. Then Monday we drove out through the Golden Gate Bridge, then to Lombard street, then parked the car and walked / rode the Cable Cars the rest of the day.

I always heard that SF is expensive but haven't really seen it. The hotel was ok price, parking was outrageously $40, and the breakfast at the hotel was pretty expensive. But other than that everything was a normal price, some even cheaper than what we're used to. And of course I know real estate is crazy, I actually looked up rental prices on Craigslist while we were there, and we couldn't believe that apartments rent for 2000 and even more.

Overall I loved San Francisco ! I will definitely go, it's only 2.5 hrs from here. And I loved Chinatown :)

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2013

I love both San Diego & San Francisco as well! You didn't miss anything much not going to Ghirardelli Square.

Glad you had fun! I wish I could fly there for a couple of days before I return from the break.