what to do if I get a job offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deweyteach, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. deweyteach

    deweyteach Rookie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 6, 2010

    I had my first interview of the season this morning at a local high school. YAY! I have another interview on Thursday (same district, middle school). I am a new teacher who has had another career and I don't know the etiquette of school hiring. Of course, there may be NO hiring of me at all but I have to consider what to do if I were offered a job and I'd appreciate input. A couple of questions:

    1. Should I tell both principals that I'm interviewing at the other school even before I'm offered a job? (Today's principal said that a decision would be made early next week.)
    2. If I am offered a job, is it okay to ask for time to think about it? (I will take either job--happily--but feel that if I've just had an interview, it would be polite at least to let the school that hasn't made their decision know about offer #1).
    3. If I were lucky enough to get both offers at about the same time, how should I choose between middle school and high school teaching? I like both ages--I've regularly substituted in middle school and high schools but I don't have that strong age preference that I know more experienced teachers often have.

    :confused::confused:Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

    Keeping my fingers crossed for all the great teachers on this site!
     
  2.  
  3. kstar03

    kstar03 Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    237
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 6, 2010

    1. I wouldn't discuss your interview plans with any school. It's none of their business and best to keep under your cap.
    2. I would take time to think about a job, even if I didn't have something else on the back burner. Some schools may give you a timetable (over the weekend for example if offer given on a Friday)
    3. I think it depends on your interests...think content differences and also student personality. There is a big difference between the two so you really should think hard about where you think you'll feel most comfortable :)
     
  4. jwteacher

    jwteacher Cohort

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    569
    Likes Received:
    3

    Apr 6, 2010

    1. No, I probably wouldn't, but that is just me.

    2. It is perfectly acceptable. Say how excited you are to have been selected and to work at their school, but ask if you could have a few days to make a decision so that you know you are making the best professional decision for yourself.

    Remember, principals want people who are absolutely certain they want to work their, so they should appreciate the candor.

    3. The good news is you have a whole weekend to weigh the pros and cons.
     
  5. McKennaL

    McKennaL Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1,378
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 6, 2010

    I had three interviews with in the same large district on the same day (the end of last summer). The first two didn't know about the others...the last one knew about all three.

    The job offer came from the last one.

    She was impressed that so many others were interested in me...and the interview was ... more casual. Like... let's take it easy on you, you've had a busy day.

    ****

    If you have two within the same district...it MIGHT be a similar situation to that district with ME. I am on a preferred hire list from which principals MUST pull candidates - no going off the district aproved list.

    If this be the case... YES. I wouldn't hide that the other one is coming due. It might move them ahead with greater urgency if they think you could be taken from them.
     
  6. Mrs Ski

    Mrs Ski Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    Messages:
    222
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 7, 2010

    I just landed a job that I hadn't expected. It was a first interview, and I had just finished a second interview at a different school. I kept my mouth shut until after the job offer. At that point I chose to tell the other school, because they were dragging their feet to a decision.

    They should know you are interviewing for any available opening. In this economy they shouldn't think that you are only interested in their school.
     
  7. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 7, 2010

    If I was offered a job and need a job, I would accept the first offer because I needed a job. If I choose to change schools later on, I might do that. But I want my foot firmly in the door if it is a school/school district that I want to teach in. So, my answer if they called would be... YES!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. vickilyn,
  2. Gina Rodriguez,
  3. Backroads,
  4. Ms.Holyoke,
  5. catnfiddle,
  6. RainStorm
Total: 1,148 (members: 7, guests: 1,113, robots: 28)
test