~ What to do during the last afternoon after state testing? ~

Discussion in 'General Education' started by loves2teach, Apr 11, 2010.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

Hello,
    I am trying to plan something for the afternoon on the last day of state testing. Here are the details...

1. It will be a Friday afternoon after 4 days of testing (several hours worth of time).

2. I would like to do something hands-on and fun that has educational value.

3. It would be something for fifth graders. Can involve any subject, or any idea (or be cross curricular).

So, does anyone have any ideas? I really appreciate it!!!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 11, 2010

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 11, 2010

I haven't checked out the 5th grade page, but - seriously - ater 4 days of sitting in their seats and testing, I would consider something active!

Split them into tribes like Survivor, let them name their tribes, and then do 3-4 activities so they can earn points. Stress working as a team!

Can you do a playground quiz where they go out and run like crazy and try to take in every detail of their playground (where they have played daily for several years), then bring them in and ask them questions about it.

Then have them do a building activity with straws, paper towels, or something easy to find.

Next do something physical. My team teacher was talking about a show called Minute by/to Minute (??) and the challenges on there were cool - tie an empty kleenex box around one person in each tribes waist, fill it with three ping pong balls, and have them jump around until all the ball come out....

Google Survivor or Team-building games/activities. Good luck - let us know what you decide to do!

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

Thanks for the link ChristyF- I can't watch movies or anything too "fun"- we have been warned that we have to continue with some type of instruction.

I like the idea of the survivor-esque challenges... perhaps I can make that work. Thanks for the ideas- keep them coming!

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 11, 2010

I taught a quick math lesson and then did an art project with chalk. It was a mess and it was fun. They got a little wild but it was okay.

7. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

Last year once testing was over we did activities such as: book report dioramas, famous person reports where they made a paper bag puppet of the person and then came up to be "interviewed" by me on my talk show, and animal reports where they researched an animal and then made a 3-D ball where they listed the information and illustrated it (they looked really awesome hanging from my ceiling!)

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

That stinks that you can't give yourself and your kids a break. At my grade our test is high stakes, it will fail them on it's own even if they make good grades (which is crazy). My principal has told us to take the afternoons and just let the kids relax.

I used to do Survivor Science when I taught 5th and my kids loved it! I got most of my ideas for the activities from this site:
    http://sciencespot.net/Pages/survivorsci.html I adapted some for my grade level and made up some activities of my own. It was a lot of fun!

Another educational fun time could be treasure maps. Let them work in pairs and have them draw a map to a "treasure" (some small treat) and see if another pair can follow their map and find it.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2010

I know- it stinks. Evidently there is going to be some huge news report here of how parents think we just stop teaching after state testing is over- so no movies or fun at all (unless we can tie a standard to it). I do still have things to teach, just don't want to this Friday on our last day of testing.

I decided to have teams play the educational games I have in my room and have them fill out a rubric/score sheet as they go from station to station. It is something they have wanted to do for a while, and I haven't gotten to.

I found that science this weekend as well and it looks awesome. I am thinking about how I can tweak it for fifth grade :)

Thanks for the ideas!!!