What to do? Career Options.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Oct 1, 2008.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 1, 2008

In other threads I have discussed my situation of not being in the teaching field. I finished the teaching program with degree in hand, which I thought would make it easier to find a career outside of the teaching field... that was two years ago.

I work with the disabled. I find them work and help them maintain their job and funding status. I also teach immigrants computer and office skills on the weekend and one day during the week.

These jobs, however, do not help me that much financially or career wise. Both jobs pay very little and I know this is having a negative effect on my personal life, as well as my mental health.

I know one of my problems is my Interviewing skills. I get interviews for good career based jobs, but I can't seem to get passed the Interview.

I need to find a career that pays decent. I would not mind taking a night course or two to better situate myself for other jobs, but I would want it to be fairly short courses.

I have a number of goals in my life, and with my current pay I cannot obtain those goals (owning a house, finding a partner, getting married, having children).

Of course one of my other goals was to be a teacher. However, my inability to obtain this goal has made it impossible to obtain my other goals. Which is why I need other career options, that actual have a future.

Any suggestions or strategies would be helpful.

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Oct 1, 2008

I'm a lttile confused. Is it that you want to be a teacher and cannot get a teaching job, or have you completely given up on teaching and want a different career? If so, what kinds of careers interest you?

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 1, 2008

Have you though of jobs related to teaching such as librarian,social work.guidance,tutoring,physical theropist,or special education. Good Luck,whatever you decide to do!

5. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

I hear Speech Therapists are in demand in my area in PA. Also Occupational Therapists also. It is a broad area giving you a lot of possibilities when it comes time to find a job. If that doesn't interest you how about getting cert. in Special Ed. That should help your chances.
    Good Luck!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2008

Would you consider writing for a textbook publisher?

7. bet3

bet3 Companion

Oct 2, 2008

I can totally relate. I've been looking for a position for 2 years now and I can't even get an interview. I don't know if I'm filling out something wrong on the application or what. I was working in a daycare and I quit because the owners decided to give the other full-time people raises and not me. (I was assistant director and had more education than anyone in the building and was making $1.25 less on the hour than the teachers. I think this was because they knew I was looking for a job in the school system.) Anyway, I was told that subs were needed in a neighboring county and I signed up to do that. It's been 3 weeks and I have not had one call. Maybe it's just me trying to deal with the rejection, but I am at the point where being in a classroom doesn't even appeal to me anymore.

I did have an idea today. I would like to come up with some kind of history or storytelling program and develop it into a business where I could take it into the schools and get paid for doing it. I found a website of different individuals who do this in Columbus and what they charge. My program would be geared toward the history of the area. I don't know how feasible this will be around here, with budget cuts, but I plan on sending some emails tomorrow to different school personnel in the surrounding counties and see what they think. Maybe you could try something like that in your area.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2008

Don't give up hope on the subbing yet. Many teachers don't take a lot of days at the beginning of the year. I've only had one day myself. But with the weather changing soon, more teachers (and their children) will be getting sick so they will be taking off more often.

9. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

I would. The question is, is there any publishers that would consider hiring me...

How would I go about breaking into this line of work?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

Absolutely. I did some as freelancer. I worked on a 5th grade math textbook for one of the major textbook publishers.

Google" elementary textbook publishers" or any variation of that idea. Each publisher should have something on their site about applying for work.

Stretch your limits a bit; if you're elementary, apply for the secondary jobs just to see. (Remember, you're applying as a writer, not as a teacher. You don't need certification to write.)

Then go back and google "freelance textbook writing" ... you may see some sites you hadn't seen the first time.

Then "freelance item writing"-- that's writing test questions. Try ETS and Princeton Review and any other test company you can think of.

edited to add: I knew I had this somewhere: http://www.publishingcentral.com/subject.html?sid=158&si=1&kwd=text+book+publishers

Also, you mention that you have poor interviewing skills. That's great-- you've figured out where your weakness is. Now find a way to improve that skill. Hire someone as a tutor. Find someone in a management position-- it doesn't have to be education, but someone who should be capable-- to work with you on your aiblity to think on your feet, to state clearly what you mean, to get your body language to say what it should, and so on.