What to do after the big test?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by magister, Jan 13, 2010.

1. magister

magister Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

What do you do when, after your students have worked hard for weeks, they've taken the test but you still have twenty minutes of class time left, and you don't want to start them on a new chapter?

My class just finished evolution and will be taking the test tomorrow.
    I don't feel like starting something new so late in the week.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 13, 2010

What grade level?

4. magister

magister Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

8th

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2010

What subject do you teach? And what topics have you finished, what's next on the agenda?

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 13, 2010

Just make the test longer! :)

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jan 13, 2010

This happens periodically to me, where I will give a test and everyone will finish it with 15-20 minutes left in a period (rare, but it happens). In such a case, I usually show a video clip related to the unit instead of starting a new chapter. I have a collection of documentary films, and can usually find one to match up with the content.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 13, 2010

Personally this never happens. My tests take the entire block. However, when I give Quizzes and students finish early I generally have an assignment for them to complete or I let them work on their homework. I make students aware of their Homework on weekly basis, so their is always something they can be working on.

9. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 14, 2010

I never collect tests until the end of the period. Kids know they are to read or do other homework if they finish a test early. By delaying picking up the tests, you can keep the whole class quiet until the end of the period. I teach 8th grade math and science.

10. RNolan

RNolan Rookie

Jan 14, 2010

Wow - hard teachers! :)

I usually show related or funny videos from youtube...Or propose a class discussion on a loosely related topic to get them thinking/debating/participating. I believe in having some fun with it.

11. RNolan

RNolan Rookie

Jan 14, 2010

Do you not have a problem with kids looking over notes?

12. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 14, 2010

"I never collect tests until the end of the period. Kids know they are to read or do other homework if they finish a test early. By delaying picking up the tests, you can keep the whole class quiet until the end of the period."
    I do the same as you. The HW is always given before the test and it is expected that they will start the HW quietly after they finish their tests. They are to turn the tests over and cover them with the scratch paper, and open their textbook on top of that. If I see them turn the test over again without consulting me, it's an automatic F for cheating (I've only had to do this once - the word got out and that was the end of that problem.) When I see that everyone is finished, I collect the tests, let them stretch for a bit, then they can work with a partner on the HW if they choose. It works well. The kids appreciate not having to wait for everyone else to finish the test before they can start their HW, so they don't have as much HW to do at home (I present this perspective at the beginning of the year - the logic of it helps them accept it and cooperate!)

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 14, 2010

Another option is to have them start the vocabulary for the next unit.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 14, 2010

Nope. I've never had that problem.

15. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 14, 2010

I usually have a crossword puzzle or other English-y activity they can work on quietly.

A math teacher buddy down the hall likes to give her kids a Sudoku puzzle to work on.