What to buy?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by sunshine24, Jul 10, 2014.

1. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

I was just hired as a 4th grade General Education teacher. I am still waiting for all of the paperwork to be processed and to sign my contract. I have not seen my room nor do I know anything about any materials.

However, I am anxious to start creating a list of things that I will need. I am a first year teacher so I need to spend cautiously, so I want to know what to keep an eye out for during the summer. What are some must-haves that you have purchased for your classrooms? What are your go-to stores (Target/Walmart, teacher stores, dollar stores, etc).

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

First, can you find out your student supply list? You might be able to find it online, even. You may or may not be able to rely on students bringing in those items, but it's a good thing to be aware of so that you don't spend your money on what will be provided by the students. Second, you'll definitely want to know what is provided by the school. At my school, not a lot is provided but pencils, tape, staples, and glue are so I know not to spend my money on those items. Off the top of my head, I consider organizational items (my sterilite drawers, pencil boxes, etc.), colored pencils, paper, scissors, rulers, and a pencil sharpener to be essential. I would highly advise keeping your receipts if you plan to shop before seeing your classroom though, in case you discover that there is no room for your drawer set, or your room came stocked with 30 pairs of scissors, or whatever.

Regarding what stores to shop at, I'll go wherever has the best deals. I think it's fun to watch the ads and see where the best sales are on different items. Last year I needed scissors and got a whole bunch of good quality ones at Target for a good price.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2014

Keep checking Target's Dollar Spot. They will be putting out teacher stuff sometime soon. I swear by their white boards - I don't care that they have primary lines on one side. Find out when your local Staples, Office Depot, and any other supply store is having their back to teacher day and plan to get there early. Otherwise, check their weekly ads for their advertised specials (like folders 10/$1, etc.). If you go to various online catalog sites (www.reallygoodstuff.com , www.carsondellosa.com ....), they will send you notices for their sales. Scholastic has a twice/year sale on everything. I used to get bulletin board sets for $1. I didn't buy anything that didn't go with my curriculum after the first couple of years because it's unnecessary. I amassed tons and tons of good novels as well as nonfiction lit by shopping thrift stores on weekends.

Don't pay full price for anything. Make a lot of stuff you need. Check pinterest for ideas.

Congrats and have fun preparing.

5. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for the replies. I have started shopping and am spending more than I wanted to. But, I am keeping my receipts to return what I do not need. I didn't want to lose out on some deals though, so I figured I can buy and always return. I am going to see my room tomorrow, so I will see what is in there already.

I already have a few crafty ideas in mind that I hope will save me some money in the long run. I did not know that Staples does a teacher day...I will definitely check that out. I do not know yet what the school supplies, especially in terms of books for classroom libraries, so I will definitely be bargain hunting for those.

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

If you sign up for websites such as Really Good Stuff and Creative Teaching Press, they will likely send you coupons for your order.

I check the Staples sales weekly and buy what I need only if it is on sale that week.

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

LMichele: Thanks for the tips. I ended up placing an order with Really Good Stuff and shipping was hefty. Hoping now I will get a coupon for my next order. The item prices are not bad, but they really get you with the shipping prices.

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

Yes the shipping is a killer with those websites & I can't remember ever seeing a free shipping code. Once you order from them they'll start to send you their catalog, and the back of that where your address is will usually be a code that you can use in the future to save some percentage of your overall purchase.

Creative Teaching has their 12 days of back to school going on right now, where they e-mail things out everyday for 12 days. I received a 20% code for signing up for their e-mail list but I'm holding out on making a purchase with the 20% hoping that the 12 days will bring a free shipping code.

9. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

All good things to know. Thanks!

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

So I just figured out that the 20% off my order on Creative Teaching would save more than a free shipping code. Then I decided to see if I could use the 20% they had already e-mailed me and a 20% sale they had this weekend only, and they let me apply both so I ended up saving 40%..woo hoo haha