What to ask interviewer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Minpinxoxo, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Hi everyone, Im new here and so glad I found this site. A lot of the posts here have been super helpful.

I have my third teaching interview on Monday and Im really crossing my fingers that this one works out for me. My last interview (that I bombed) was last year so its been a while.

I know this might sound stupid but when the interviewer asks me if I have any questions for them I always blank out. I just dont know what to ask. I ususally end up asking what the class size is or what the hours are but I feel like I should be asking more intelligent questions.lol. Since its a private school, I am not sure if I should ask salary questions until and if I am offered the job. I have never had a teaching job before so I feel like everything really rides on me doing well in the interview. :eek:

What kind of questions did you ask the interviewer? any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thank you!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2012

Ask why they love working for the school or why the parents think that this school is a great place for their children.

This will hopefully give you something very specific to comment on in your thank you cards.

Good luck!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2012

If they have a website and you find a particular program or what have you that seems interesting, you could ask about that and what your role in that could/would be. And make sure you mention you discovered it on their site...it shows interest. :)

5. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Both great suggestions I had not thought of! THANK YOU!!

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2012

I blank at this part, too! Great suugestions!!!

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2012

I usually ask if they have any professional development available. I also ask if the teachers have time to collaborate together. There are others, but I can't think of them right now!

8. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Coteaching, school-wide discipline, technology, and class size come to mind. Also, be sure to ask your genuine questions. If you want to know how something works, ask! I asked a ton of specific questions during my interview for my new job.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 8, 2012

I agree with the collaboration, technology, and professional development questions. Another question I ask that they usually respond well to is "are there any big changes coming up this year in the district?"

10. TryingToTeach11

TryingToTeach11 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

I ask what a teacher who has been at the school for a while would say is his or her favorite part of teaching at that school. I ask what they expect from their teachers to keep their school competitive and how I would get involved in after school programs or enrichment classes (then share the type of classes you would excel at teaching). I've also asked how the school is involved in the local community.

I agree with Justme that you can find interesting programs to ask about on the school website. Good luck!!

11. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Thank you all so much!!

12. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jun 9, 2012

I usually ask what type of technology they have in the classrooms, how much parents are involved in the school, and anything else specific about the position I am interviewing for.