What time to you arrive

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 23, 2008

How early to you get to school each day? Our day officially begins at 8:00 but we have to be there by 7:30 each day. I usually arrive around 6:45. Some teachers at my school get there at 5:50 or 6 each day. I can't figure out what they must do for 1 hour and a half in their classroom. Some of these teachers also stay to 6 each night.This is my first year so I was just wondering what the norm was.

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

My host teacher gets in around 7:45-8, kids show up about 8:15. they are required to stay until 4, but because she prefers to not work at home unless it is something mindless like grading multiple choice or organizing, she stays until 5 or 6 to get everything done. On Fridays she will stay as long as she needs to get lessons and copies made fore the next week though.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 23, 2008

we have to be there at 830, the kids come in at 835 (don't ask)

I usually come in around 8, depending on how it went dropping of my daughters, and how long the coffee line was :)

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2008

I get there around 5:00. Kids arrive at 7:00. I'm a morning person and I teach ESE K-5 so planning is essential for all those grade levels. I leave school most days before 3:00 but work 3 or 4 hours at home in the evening. We are almost 3 months into the school year and we have just received our math and reading curriculum. Planning should lessen dramatically now that I am not having to invent the wheel to teach my students.

6. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

We have to be at school by 8:00 and I get there at 7:45. This is my second year and it seems everybody does something different. I take one day to stay late, get my copies made, have my math manipulatives together, stories, activities, etc. together for the week. I work on plans at school during planning and naptime, I try to bring the least amount of work home as possible. Occasionally if I have a free weekend, I'll work on plans just to get ahead. Everyday before I leave I make sure I have my desk clean, plans and attendance sheet ready for the morning and I make sure I have the morning work on the desks so if I do run a little late, I won't be panicking at the last minute. (Some teachers get there right at 8 and stay til 6, some get there at 7 and leave right at 3:30, I think it's whatever is best for your schedule)

7. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I like to do some stuff in the morning and some in the afternoon so I'm at school around 6:30/6:45 and leave around 4. We have to be there 7:15 (kids at 7:25) until 2:45 (dismissal goes until about 2:30). As a first year teacher I find that this is a good amount of time for me to get most of my planning and prepping done. I do most of my grading at home in the evenings but I don't have a family to worry about. Also, sometimes I go in for an hour or so on the weekend just to feel ready for Monday. It really varies on what gets done during the day.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 23, 2008

Our school day is 7:30 to 6, so I usually arrive between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., and leave between 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Every day is different for me and for the teachers.

9. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Oct 23, 2008

If your school day starts at 7:30 how do you get their at 9? And how do you leave at 3:30 is the kids stay til 6? The kids actually STAY until 6?? What kind of school are you at?

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

Kids are allowed in the class at 8:15, our day starts at 8:30. Unfortunately teachers who work at our school let their kids just go to their classes when they get there so I have several in my class at 8am (pet peeve can you tell?).

I usually get to school by 7:30am and I do not leave until 6pm. I watch my grandson from 3:15 until 4 everyday until his Dad picks him up so that is a little play time in between.
    But I do not take work home. At home I spend time on here and look for things on the internet but nothing else school wise.

I live 5 minutes away from school and will come home early once in awhile.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 23, 2008

I do NOT get their early enough. I have an hour commute this year, and it's through a very rough patch of highway (580 next to Oakland, for all you N. CA people out there). I can leave Sausalito at 7am and not get to school some days until 8:30/8:45 if there is an accident (school starts at 8:15). Which has happened. Luckily, we're a private school and it's pretty laid back. If I'm late, they kids just stay out at morning recess longer, or join the fourth grade for a few minutes. That's only happened once, after a particularly bad double accident day.

My first two years of teaching, I lived in the classroom. I loved it-it was my second home. I do not care for this year's physical room, however, I think because it's tile. So the floors always seem dirty. It seems cold and impersonal. It's also got outside hallways around it, and no lounge. I just want to escape each afternoon. It really has become just a workroom. It's great when the kids are in there, but it's just not my home anymore. Really sad, because I usually love my classrooms. I also have WAY less work this year, mostly because I've made everything already! Ha! This is technically my fifth year teaching, and even though the cirriculum is 'new', it's not really. A lot of stuff that I already have works.

12. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 23, 2008

I'm supposed to be at school at 7:30..the kids come in to eat breaky around 745 and are down to their rooms by 8. I don't have my first class until 830. At the beginning of the year I was doing really good getting at school about 715..I basically have less than an hour to prep for 7 different classes since I am on a cart. But lately I've not been getting to my closet/boiler room until 740. I've gotten the dreaded kid germ headcold that just doesn't want to go away..so I've been a bit drained as well! The kids are done at 230..and I'm required to be there until lke 250..but trying to get things hung up, cleaned up/organized..I've not been leaving till 4-430.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 23, 2008

We are required to be at school from 7:50 until 3:20. I like to do most of my work at school, so most years, I am there around 7:15 until 4:30 or so. This year, my hours are random (I'm pregnant so it really depends on how I feel that day). If I don't stay late, I'll take work home if it's an emergency, but I'm learning that a lot of stuff will still be there the next day and it's not the end of the world.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

I get there at 6:30 am. Students get there at 7:55, I need a good hour to wake up and moving around before i see kids.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

I get to school at 8:10. We have to be there at 8:30. Kids come at 9:00. Dismissal is at 2:45. I am out the door at 2:55 at the latest. I take about one hour of work home daily. While my daughter does her homework, I do mine. :)

16. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 23, 2008

I get there at 7
    We're required to be there at 7:15
    Kids come in at 7:30
    I like staying late rather than getting there early :)
    I also have to input all lesson plans and grades online, so I do a lot of my "paper"work at home.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 23, 2008

Since DH and I are carpooling, I get dropped off at my school at 6:20 most mornings... he gets to his around 6:50 so he can get what he can done in the halls before his early bird teachers show up. I'm there before our custodian. I go to my room and play on the computer or take a nap for a few minutes... put my make up on and get whatever I need done before the kids start showing up around 7:45.

I HATE MORNINGS!! LOL

18. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

Our kids can get into the building at 7:50 and school starts at 8:00. We are required to be there from 7:30-3:00. I get to school between 6:00-6:15 every morning. Depending on the day, I leave right at 3:00 (rarely) but more often between 4:00-5:00. I am one of first people at school (sometimes the first, after the custodian). Some of the things I do in the morning are:

Grade papers
    Enter grades into my gradebook
    Copy papers, homework, etc.
    Prepare manipulatives, hands-on things for the day
    Put up things around the room/take down old work
    Pass out morning work
    Prepare for the day (Q of the Day, Calendar, Morning Message) if I didn't do it the night before
    Lesson Plans

We have a ton of meetings this year, so I barely get anything in my classroom done after school. I try to get most things done in the morning in case my meetings don't leave me enough time to get things done after school. In addition, we are constantly getting more assignments from our meetings, so I try to get those done in the morning. I also have no time to email or keep in touch with colleagues about ELL things, reading group things, interventions, etc. during the day, so I make sure to check for updates/keep people updated with emails early in the morning.

Starting in a couple weeks I'll be teaching After School Program from 2:30-4:30 3 days a week, so I'll definitely still be arriving early at school.

19. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Oct 23, 2008

I get there around 7:20-7:30. Kids come at 8:30. Teachers have to be there at 8. Kids leave at 3:30. Teachers can leave at 3:45. I carpool, so I usually leave around 4:15.

I miss my old school. Teachers had to be there at 9! Kids came at 9:30. Kids left at 4:15. I would get to school around 8:00-8:15, so I could leave at 4:30.

20. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

I'm usually there by 7:30 but we don't have to show up until 8:00. The kids come in the room at 8:40 with a duty teacher in the hallway but I don't trust the little darlings in my room alone at anytime. I've already had one stealing incident this year and I was there but out of the room doing something. Gutsy little darlings they are. Of course they don't have enough sense to not tell others. lol I usually leave between 5:30 and 6:00 although the first bell rings at 3:15 and the last bus is usually called at around 3:40. We can actually leave at 3:45 but I have this idea I can get more done if I stay. Unfortunately my room is on the way out of the back door and people love to stop and chat on the way out so I don't get as much done as I would like to.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

We're required to sign in and be in homeroom by 7:50.

Before I had kids, I was in the building by 7 am at the latest; 6:45 on most days. I would have a cup of tea, Xerox, and talk to my friends, then be in homeroom by 7:30.

Now the sitter gets to my house at around 7, and I'm in the building by 7:30. I skip the tea and get my homeroom opened by 7:35 or so.

School ends at 2:48 and we're required to be around for extra help until 3:15. (I get a bye once a week for a standing doctor's appointment this year.) When kids do show up for extra help, I'm normally there until at least 3:45.

22. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

The bell for the students to go to 1st period rings between 800-805. We have to be there before that bell rings. I am usually in my room, for the most part between 700-730. I have morning bus duty on Mondays that starts at 730-so I try to get there a little before 700 so I can make sure I have everything ready for my 1st period. I don't get back to the room on that day until after the final morning bell rings, kids in the room and ready to go.

The final bell rings at 305, we have to stay til 320 which isn't bad because by the time the students are all out of our hallway and down the stairs its pushing 315. I usually stay until 330-400 depending on what I'm cleaning up, sometimes later if I do grades. I take tests home and grade them if I don't get them all finished at school-I try to have them back the next day to go over so we can move to the next chapter. I'm in my second year. I try to get out of the school by 320-330 at the latest on Fridays.

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

Our principal is very cool about arrival times.

We have to be there when the kids line up. We can leave right after school if we don't have a meeting. Where and how we get our work done is our business.

However, one way to really get on her bad side is to not be out on the playground when the kids line up. And for that, it doesn't matter if we're at school or not or what we are doing. When that second bell rings, you drop everything and go get your kids. Once I was in a meeting with her in the morning, and the second bell rang, and she stopped mid sentence and said we'd talk later and to go get my class.

24. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Our contracted time is 8:05-2:50...

I get here around 7:30 to do my prep for the day.

Last year in my first year teaching I was able to discipline myself to stick around here until 4:30 - 5 or so. However this year I just can't do it. I come here a bit early, do my work and then I go home.

I do my planning on my couch under a warm heat blanket, I just don't like the lonely classrooms at times.

Lately I've been leaving work around 3:15 after I pick up all the random scattered art projects drying around my room and try to organize the chaos of the day.:dizzy:

25. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 24, 2008

Depends on my day--- If I have alot of plans that day, I'll get here around 7:00am. If I don't have to copy anything or set anything up, I can get in around 7:30 (enough time to grab a cup of coffee and write up the lesson on the board for that day).

We have to be here by 7:40am for homeroom and stay until 3:30. Most of us are gone by 3:15 honestly--- but I do try to do a little work after school.

I think the latest I've stayed after school is 5:30--- for parent conferences. Even though I'm a new teacher, I need my time to rest and I refuse to keep myself locked up in my classroom until its completely dark out. I do a few hours of work at home then--- grade papers and lesson plan, but at least I'm comfy.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 24, 2008

Most days I arrive around 7:00. We have to be here at 7:30. I usually stay late to get things done. Most days I leave around 5ish, some days later.

27. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I get there at 7:00. I wish we could get there earlier but no one is in the building.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 24, 2008

That made me remeber. We're not allowed in the building before 6:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.

29. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Oct 25, 2008

We have to be in our classrooms at 8:30, I like to arrive between 7:45-8:00. The students are gone by 3:30 and as long as we put in our 7 1/4 hours we can leave shortly after. However, I usually stay until 4:00-4:30 to get my photocopying done, make phone calls, check e-mail etc. There is a lot to do, but I don't want to burn out doing a maternity leave! I try to balance the craziness of the classroom by also keeping my sanity and making sure to give myself down time :)

30. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

Our school day starts at 8:45 but the kids come at 8:30. I am usually there between 7:00 and 7:20. I need that time to get myself mentally ready for the day, to do last minute stuff (write the message, make copies, collab. with my teammates) and just be ready. I don't think that you HAVE to get there earlier if you dn't feel you need to though.

31. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

I have to be there by 8, school starts at 8:20, and ends at 3:20. I can leave by 3:40.

Most days I get there from 6:40-7:20, and leave anywhere from 3:30-7:00. My husband & I also carpool, and I have to wait for him to be ready to leave.

32. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

My contract is the same way.....only 5 min. before the kiddies....of cousre most of us are there earlier!! I try to give myself 20 min. or so in the morning. I stay after about an 30-60 min. each day.....