What time of year is job hunting common for teachers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Charlie Trahan, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Charlie Trahan

Charlie Trahan Rookie

Sep 26, 2019

While I may actually be capable of job hunting mid year, when is job hunting typical for a teacher? I'm in Texas so I know it may differ by region. I noticed around early summer more jobs were available than there are now. If I get a job mid year is hiring typically quicker(as in interview to offer) since they need to fill a position that needed to be filled earlier this year?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2019

You're right - for a variety of reasons, hiring can happen at any time of the year. I tend to think that hiring outside of the spring rush often results in decisions sooner rather than later, probably because there are not as many applications to get through. I've actually never been hired at a traditional time, for whatever reason, so I'm going with the advice to get all of your ducks in a row, making sure that you round up as many LOR's as possible, using administrators who you may impress along the way, or teachers that you strike it off with. Make sure you get a resume geared towards education, and I'm a big fan of one of the online companies because they know education, they will give a reduced rate to new teachers, and if you don't like the first (second, or third) drafts, they will keep working with you, or find someone with even more experience to work with you. Their business is enhanced by word of mouth praise, and just so you know what I think of them, I'm in the process of having them work on my third resume, since I have added more certifications, as well as the SPED coursework. My graduation gift to my teacher son was a resume with them, after being appalled at what his university sent him out with after graduation. When he earned his Master's, we upgraded it.

Look at some teacher applications listed online, and craft really good answers to the questions you will find there. This is where doing multiple revisions to polish your answers can really be good for the impression you leave. I keep all of that information in a computer file, complete with revisions I've made. I keep copies of every application that I have submitted, along with the letter of introduction. If you start making many applications, it is nice to be able to pull these things off your computer in short order. By keeping this all together, I can compare those applications that at least got me an interview versus those that were successful. After a while you start to notice little details in the differences, and, as they say, the devil is often in the details.

Best of luck.

Charlie Trahan likes this.
  4. Charlie Trahan

Charlie Trahan Rookie

Sep 27, 2019

Thank you for the advice! I have a resume writer I hired and she is working on my resume and cover letter. Its a career switch so I had NO idea how to even go about either of those. I have two people I rounded up at my current job to write LOR for my portfolio. The teacher I did observations with said she would be a reference for me. I impressed another teacher there too but did not get the chance to ask before I left, lesson learned. I heard 3 LORs was standard. Would you say that's about true? Should I try to get more?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2019

You can never go wrong with another education reference if the situation presents itself. If someone does offer to write a LOR for you, nail down a "due by" date, or it sometimes doesn't get done.

Charlie Trahan likes this.