What things does your aide/para do?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jan 1, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jan 1, 2010

Help around the classroom with projects and work with students

OR

only work with students.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2010

My aide does everything I do except write plans, IEP's, and report cards. When I am absent or at a meeting, she can completely take over the class and does a wonderful job! I would be lost without her!!

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2010

I delegate to her what I don't have time to do. She's good @ completing what I ask her to do. She might not do it according to what I would do, but I can always go over it and tidy up what she might have missed, accidently. I do not micro manage, BUT there are certain details that have to be completed in order for certain things to look their BEST.:cool: She can pop UP an artwork in the blink of an eye! I was like, "WOW! I can work with one!"
    Compared to the last one I had, this one is 100% better!:D
    Rebel1

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

I think it depends on your aide. Mine isn't so hot this year.

Soooooo...mainly I have her do photocopying, but things in cubbies, put stickers on papers, etc. She does work with kids, but I usually give her a center that isn't super challenging.

That being said, other K teachers at my school have AMAZING aides that are more like teachers and do MUCH more.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2010

Wow- wish I had a para...I had the uber, super para years ago...She could help with kids, do BBs, copies, organized me...miss her.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

With all the budget cuts, there is major talk in my school that we'll be losing ours next year. This is my first year in K and my first time having one... it's nice, but I know I could do it without one too (perhaps not having a super one helps with that). :)

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 2, 2010

Ours is shared between 6 kindergarten teachers. She runs all of the copies/gathers materials that we are all using (leaves me with usually 3-4 things to prepare) and is in the classroom for an hour a day. She primarily works with one student, but generally helps struggling students with the assignment we are working on and pulls students to work 1:1 or in small groups on whatever concept I ask her to. She will also help with anything else I ask her to, like changing out activities in my centers or setting up a science experiment, she is awesome!!!

9. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Jan 8, 2010

My aide is wonderful. She works with small groups, leads phoncis and calendar time while I work RTI groups, she has a wealth of information about all kinds of things, grades papers (puts a sticker or smiley face), puts things in cubbies, gets supplies ready for stations, etc. I could go on and on about my aide. This is my 2nd year teaching and she helps me out so much.