What things do you LIKE or HATE to do alone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Dec 10, 2011.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 10, 2011

I was reading a previous post about singleness/rebounding/ and being"alone". And I started to THINK about my time alone. (I'm currently an empty-nester who was/is a single mom - so ALONE is a big thing I'm still not used to yet.)

But It got me thinking about things I don't MIND doing alone (that people hate to), and things *I* HATE to do alone (that don't bother others.)

ENJOY:

Going to see a movie alone (after all..you shouldn't be talking anyway) - but I like talking about it afterwards with people who have seen it. Plus...ok, I can be greedy with popcorn. :p

HATE:

Going out to eat alone. (HATE IT! I NEED to be doing SOMETHING. Have a book, newspaper, SOMETHING. I don't like people looking over with that "awww, it's so sad to see someone without a friend" look in their eyes. I'd prefer to eat in my car with the radio.)

What about you?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2011

Enjoy:
    Working out, running, shopping

Hate:
    Traveling, going on walks, hiking

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

Enjoy:
    Gardening
    Painting
    Exercising
    Shopping

Although I also enjoy doing the above with dh as well...

I dont go out to eat alone.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 10, 2011

This is kind of interesting...one of my close friends who is also a co-worker is also an only child. She always talks about how because of that, she hates to do anything alone. I'm the opposite. I'm also an only child and I NEED my "me" time- I enjoy spending time alone! So here are some things that people might traditionally like to do with others but I prefer to do alone:

Shop- If I 'm doing "serious" shopping, I like to go alone and move at my own pace. If I go with a friend, it's more of a social thing and not really because I need to get shopping done.
    Watch TV- I hate when people talk during my shows!
    Work Out- Again, I like to move at my own pace and not feel like I have to keep up with someone who is a lot more fit than me, or slow down to accommodate someone who is new to working out. I also like to just listen to my music and not have to worry about trying to carry on a conversation while excercising!

Would rather do with a friend:
    Eating out- This is a social thing for me and I'd feel very awkward eating in a sit-down resteraunt alone.
    Movies- This is another social thing for me. I probably wouldn't think it was a terrible experience to go alone, but if I'm paying so much for a ticket rather than watching it at home in my PJ's, I'd like to make it a social thing and go out with friends.
    Bars- I think it's more of a male thing to go to bars by yourself, but I would just NEVER ever be comfortable going out without at least one friend with me. I see a lot of people (mostly men) go out by themselves around here, but I just don't think I could do it!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 10, 2011

Alone:
    Watching television, especially my news programs
    Cooking
    Chores

Would rather do with someone:
    Exercise
    Eat out
    Visit museums/exhibits

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

My colleagues and I go for an adult beverage most Fridays...I dislike getting there first. Men tend to think women alone at a bar are there to be 'hit on'. Luckily, the place we go tends to have the same 'regulars' most weeks, so it's not too bad...plus my friends are usually not too far behind me.:)

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2011

I like to clean alone...I hate doing it alongside my husband!

I must exercise alone. The idea of going to a gym is just...unacceptable. Now, a casual walk outside with my husband and dog is lovely.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 10, 2011

I really can't think of anything that I won't do alone.

I'm an only child, and I lived by myself or most of my college career, and I even bought my house when I was single.

I'll travel, shop, and go out to eat by myself. I've been to concerts alone, and I'll really do whatever I need to do. I'll also do things with other people, but not having someone to go with me has never stopped me from doing things I want to do.

10. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Dec 10, 2011

Enjoy,
    staying at home
    watching TV
    listening to music
    working out
    shopping

Hate,
    eating alone
    walking (I mean "a long walk")
    going to the cinema

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 10, 2011

I've found if you befriend the servers at restaurants, you can have a really great meal on your own. I don't cook, so I go out to eat a lot.

I bought a house when I was single, sold it 25+ years later, when I was single, and bought the house I'm now living in, single.

When I was younger, I felt lonely being alone. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm not lonely.

I love going to the movies or the theater alone. At the theater, you can get some incredible seats when you only need 1 ticket.

I do anything I want, by myself. I can't imagine life any other way.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 10, 2011

Enjoy:
    - Watching movies (at home)
    - Cooking (I HATE people standing over me as I cook),
    - Showers (it's not romantic when YOU'RE the one standing there shivering because you both can't fit under the spicot at the same time. Plus I like to sing, think and blow soapy bubbles around)

Hate:
    - Holidays (i've never spent christmas or thanksgiving alone, but it seems like it'd be so sad)

- Watching a REALLY funny and/or interesting part on a television show or movie and having no one to laugh/enjoy it with

- Playing monopoly (I have a 1person version on my Kindle and it's fun, but not as much as playing with an actual person)

- going to the mall (the only time I like going alone is if I'm Christmas shopping or doing some quick, in and out personal shopping. If I want to hang out and just browse, then I like having a friend to talk to)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

I'm at a point in my life where I'm seldom alone.

So I cherish my early morning time. I love an hour alone on the computer, or having a cup of tea on the patio (in the summer, obviously) watching the yard wake up.

Beyond that, though, nothing comes to mind.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2011

Enjoy: My hour or so by myself in the mornings. I like to wake up slowly and enjoy my coffee, not start a conversation immediately.

Hate: Going to a restaurant alone, or - like czacza - being the first to arrive and having to sit there by myself.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 11, 2011

enjoy: reading a good book uninterrupted or watching my favorite shows
    hate: dining out alone, going to the mall alone! (I don't like shopping to begin with, and I don't like large crowds)
    **If I were meeting someone, that is fine. However, I don't like when others are running late, and I am left there alone

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 11, 2011

There's nothing I can think of that I'd actually HATE to do alone, except travelling. That's the kind of thing I'd really like to share w/ someone.

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 11, 2011

I grew up being an only child so I'm used to enjoying doing things on my own. I have to have alone time at some time of the day in order to unwind.

Enjoy doing alone:

Working out
    Reading
    Cleaning
    working on house projects
    shopping

Hate doing alone:
    going to the movies

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2011

I love my husband of 23 years. I really do, but he's a firefighter and as such spends 2 nights a week at the station.
    I LOVE sleeping alone!!!!! No cover hog stealing the covers, no bed hog sleeping in the middle of the bed! I can sleep in, read, play games on my ipod, watch tv without having to worry about waking him!

I'm trying to think of things I don't like to do alone, but I can't think of anything. OH! I hate going to the airport myself! Seatac is a huge place!