What the !?!?!??!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 9, 2015

I'm just not understanding this....

This is in regards to the job that I ALMOST had in January...a Special Ed. position.

So after all of the interviews and the rave reviews from the interview panel, it was down to me and another candidate. They decided not to hire either of us. I got a letter from the principal about a 1 1/2 months later stating that they were re-posting the position and looking for someone who had experience (even though I had 2 years teaching experience in the SAME type of classroom as well as 1 year student teaching in the SAME type of classroom....and GREAT references). So I guess this is NOT experience to them....smh.

I did not have a sub job today so I decided to look for jobs again. I randomly went on this particular school district's website to see who they hired at the board meeting. They did not hire anyone but I saw that the girl who has been a building sub in that school was assigned as a perm. sub in that classroom for the rest of the school year.

Now, I'm not mad about someone being a sub in there for the rest of the school year. When they had me observe in this classroom, I spent all day with this sub for two weeks. She had just graduated from college and (I'm not trying to sound mean) but she had no experience with these behavioral students. She did not teach them and allowed them to do what they wanted. She even told them she had no idea what to do. I tried to help her but she just gave up. She even stated that she hated it and voiced it to the principal. She kept going to the principal to see when the new person was going to be hired because she wanted out of there.

So a school district/principal would rather keep a sub in there (no experience/stated they wanted out) than to hire someone like myself (w/ the experience and the want to be in there) or the other person they were considering? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? I feel so bad for the kids.

I'm not bitter anymore, I just don't understand. For five years, I've been trying to get back into the classroom. Every person I talk to says "Oh, you'll get a job because you have experience." I been hearing this for FIVE years. I can't even get the job I have experience in. I'm about to snap if I hear this again! I'm really getting frustrated! I'm sure you guys understand my frustration. How does this happen?!??!?!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2015

At this point in the year it's just easier to keep the sub.:sorry:

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 9, 2015

Yeah, I understand this now. But they could have hired someone with experience and who wants the job in January!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2015

Sometimes schools don't really want to hire in January because it plays havoc with their budget...stupid reasoning, but I have seen it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2015

For whatever reason they didn't see a fit among the candidates they interviewed in January. Despite your experience and what they told you. :sorry:

7. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 9, 2015

It's a money game...subs typically cost less than a perm position
    Hang in there

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2015

If they interview and hire a person they may be contractually required to keep that person. A sub is temporary. If a district hasn't found the "right" candidate then it makes more sense to go with the sub. Just because a person has experience that doesn't mean it's a reason to hire.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2015

For some reason, they didn't feel that you were the perfect person for the job, which means that hiring you in January presented them with the very real possibility of having to not renew you at the end of this school year. In the meantime, you would cost more, benefits would have to be offered, and as everyone else has pointed out, it does become a money game. This sub is not permanent, and even if they pay her above the sub pay, no benefits are involved, and they don't have to worry about telling a new hire that they will not be renewing their contract in the fall. For you, it sucks. For them, it is the cost of doing business. My guess is that they are hoping to get higher number of applicants by reopening the search in the late spring - lots of grads looking for a job. Sadly, I have seen this before. For you it is personal, and you are wanting a full time job so badly, which hurts. I wouldn't begin to understand why you didn't fit their ideal candidate, but you should be very grateful that you didn't get hired only to end up not renewed after a semester. I hope that you find the job of your dreams sooner rather than later, I really do.

10. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Apr 10, 2015

I understand how you are feeling. Believe me, I do. In fact, I once met a principal who told me I was not chosen because I knew too much about teaching. :dizzy: After everything I have experienced at interviews, I honestly believe hiring decisions are made based on more than your experience and education. I recently went on an interview where the hiring panel acted very bizarre and laughed hysterically over everything that was said. Even though I am well educated, have experience, and gave strong answers, I was not chosen. I'm sure they were looking for someone who acted extremely immature and ditzy. Rejections are truly a blessing in disguise. When I think back to the schools that did not hire me, I can see how I would not have been happy there. As Steve Maraboli said, "As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better." Keep applying and interviewing. I'm sure you'll find the perfect school for you. :hugs:

11. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 10, 2015

Thanks for the kind words. I've been trying to keep strong the last 5 years but I am now starting to give up. I've been getting to emotional over this. Nothing is going right in my personal life and career life. I just feel so unstable. I just wish something good would happen. I really need to think hard the next few months about where I should direct my life since nothing is falling into place. I just don't understand school districts anymore....

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 10, 2015

We had a mid year sped position open up around February. My school had to wait for budget approval before hiring. Im pretty certain my P didn't actually want to hire someone this late in the year, because the quality of candidates is on the low end. We only had a few people send in their resume that were interested and qualified. The person who they finally selected to sub in the room showed up to my school without an interview because they wanted the job and my P took the time to meet with them and actually said they seem promising.

We don't do non-renewals here so generally once you are hired you stay at the school until either you decide to leave/transfer to another school in the system or are excessed due to numbers (RIF) or on the extreme end you can be fired for misconduct or something similar before tenure. Of course not without due process and such with our union protection.

Moral of the story? The person selected isn't even really hired yet because the P doesn't have to actually hire them. (Similar to what happened at the school you interviewed at.) They can be tried out first as a sub to see if they are a good fit and if they aren't then when hiring season gears up starting in May they can interview someone who might be a better fit for the school for the next school year.

It sounds shady no matter how much the teacher wants the job. But the bigger picture is getting a quality candidate for job long term for the school for years to come.

So just remember its not about you, and your time will come. It's the only thing you can hold on to in that you'll get the right position.

I like you was in a position that felt like it was going nowhere for 5 years to get experience. I left abruptly to take a job that fell through and spent a year interviewing countless times mid year to not finding a permanent job until the next school year. It was stressful, but in the end it worked out. That whole year I really took a look into myself and how I could better my chances of getting hired within my city's public school system.

Sorry if this was long, but hopefully it provided some additional insight to how another school handled a similar situation. :cool: