What the most embarrassing thing...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

your P has ever seen or caught you doing or teaching?

I was just looking up some lessons on nouns and I thought of one of the most embarrassing things my P has seen me teach.

So you all know last year was my first year so I sometimes thought on my feet and "made up" things that I thought were good(At the time)

So the kids were given a sheet of words and sentences or something like that and they were to take a red color and color all the vowels red and shade all the consonants green. In the middle of it my P walked in to see what we were doing.
    The kids papers looked horrible. There were colors everywhere. It was a mess. The print was in like 12 font and I'm sure the kids were getting confused and their eyes were hurting.
    My P looked down and said "what are they supposed to be doing". I told him and I know he was thinking OMG. but he never said anything.

After he left I told the kids to give me their papers. I was SOOOO embarrassed. Of course he had to walk in on one of my -we have extra time now what do we do made up first year teacher lessons.-

Just thinking about it makes me embarrassed still.

Please make me feel better by telling your stories.

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

During a lesson on poetry, I was singing a Taylor Swift song in front of the class! I am not a singer.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

My last classroom was pitch black when the lights were off, and there was no way to control the lights so that they were partially on or off - it was all or nothing. There were no windows, not even in the door.

We were watching a video so I turned the lights out so everyone could see. My supervisor apparently walked in some time during the movie and sat down. I turned the lights on after the video and there he was! I had no idea he came in. I tried to act like I wasn't surprised but I think he knew that I had no idea. I got a lamp to use for movie time after that. lol

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Thats crazy silverspoon. lol

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

I had an activity where the kids were trying to melt an ice cube and practice their math skills at the same time (from Littlegiraffes site). They roll a 1, they blow on it, etc. One of them was put the ice cube down your shirt-of course that was their favorite. The P walked in close to dismissal and asked random kids what they had learned that day and 3 of them told him-putting an ice cube down their shirts! :blush: I had to do a little explaining about the activity! :)

7. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 25, 2010

My students write their own Shakespearean plays which they perform in class. Most plays include some swordplay which results in some "dead bodies" on the classroom floor. One group chose to "smite" an enemy by the door, so the student was lying on the floor with his legs outside the door. Apparently, the P was walking down the hallway, saw the kid's legs, and stuck his head in to investigate. When I saw him standing over the kid, I quickly said, "Oh, don't mind him, Mr. P., he's just dead." The P laughed, came in, sat down, and watched the rest of the play. The kids really enjoyed their special "audience" that afternoon.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2010

My principal walked into my classroom to find all of the kids watching a non-instructional video. I was sitting at my desk with my feet up on a pulled-out desk drawer. My head was leaning against the chalkboard.

I was really, really embarrassed.

He didn't think anything about it once he got a good look at me. In fact, I got scolded because I hadn't let someone know I was sick. I was having a kidney stone attack. I only had one more class to go when things got really bad. The only moderately comfortable position was the one I was sitting in when he arrived.

I planned to get medication at the ER and be back the next day, so I didn't leave any sub plans for the next day. I ended up being transerred to a different hospital, admitted, and getting emergency surgery. I was out for a week . . . with NO lesson plans. That was embarrassing, too. Before I went to surgery I was able to call in plans.

The "penis tree" outside my door last year would have been embarrassing had I not been teaching middle school. It was hilarious instead.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

As I'm reading this I'm like OMG!!!! I had my hands up to my face. Then I realized you were sick. I was about to say that was pretty embarrassing. That tops it all but now I see you were sick.Glad your P understood.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

My kids were watching an educational video and I was (oh no!!) surfing the web. I was in the process of getting a boxer puppy so I googled images of boxers and up came a webpage full of men in boxer shorts. I turned around and my principal was standing there!!! Let me say I fully know I was in the wrong for using my computer for personal reasons! I cringe now thinking of that!0

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 25, 2010

I would often take 'dance breaks' with my third graders when they got antsy. We'd just hop up, get the wiggles out to a High School Musical number, and get back to work. My non-so-good-natured principal walked in for a quick observation (more like to catch me at something, I'm sure) and we just about to do a dance break. I couldn't say 'oh, wait. We have to postpone...', so I ended up dancing with them like an idiot while she stood in the back tapping her foot. That was the longest song EVER. I'm sure it looked like we were just goofing off, but those breaks were really important to the kids and their sense of community. She didn't get that, though. Ah, well.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

When My P came in during my first year to do my very first eval, we were reading a story about a twelve year old pianist. Well... one of my 6th grade boys who wasn't the greatest reader in the world volunteered to read aloud, and lets just say his pronunciation was slightly off. The worst part was that the P and I were the only two people in the room who noticed and it was so hard not to giggle when he is in the back of the room quietly cracking up with his ears beet red and tears rolling down his face. :blush:

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

Several years ago, my principal had to reschedule an observation and ended up coming in to observe on a day when my students were doing a newspaper scavenger hunt as an introduction to our newspaper unit. 30 kids + 30 newspapers + competition = a large mess! The comment as she was leaving--"Maybe you need to teach them how to fold up newspapers properly".

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

lol @Mrs C

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

when I was student teaching a colleague and I were in the faculty lounge and were discussing a girl named "Tina." Well, our P's name was also "Tina," and she overheard us talking abut how we thought "Tina" was having an affair.....Oh boy, did we have some explaining to do. It all worked out in the end, but at the time it was horrible!!!!!

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

OMG!!!!! That tops them all teacherSMK!!!

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

My colleague and I still laugh about that incident, it could have been SO much worse!

18. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 30, 2010

:confused:

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

The exact same thing happened to me! I also got a desk lamp. Freaky!

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 31, 2010

Well, I wasn't caught by my principal, but a co-worker did catch me in the act:

When I worked at a daycare I spent much of my time in the 2-year-old program. One afternoon near closing time everyone was cranky (including me!). In a desperate attempt to end the tantrums and bickering I decided to distract the children. I put on one of the horse costumes from the dramatic play area and starting neighing at the children. They loved it and when I turned around a co-worker was standing in the door just staring. She finally said, "What ARE you doing?" I said, "Playing farm" and went right back to neighing at the children who were all quickly putting on farm animals costumes!

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

We were having teacher inservice and they were calling on random people to read the slides. I got a little tongue tied on mine which was technology-based. Let's just say a word that's not good to scramble as you read-aloud is "disk" and of course the reminder to put it in the right slot. :blush: Luckily only one teacher seemed to pick up on it and laughed-I don't think the others were really listening. I was really glad when my turn was over!

22. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I was coming around the corner to pick up my students from music and they started RUNNING, YELLING, PUSHING, SHOVING and causing a HUGE ruckus coming toward me. I got MAD and yelled to them to get it together and that they were acting like animals.

My VP was in the other room and overheard me. She brought it up at least twice during conferences. Ugh. I feel bad for what I said, but they were just so unruly!

23. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

Many years ago I was standing with my back to a long hallway, looking out the door while I was waiting for my class to get lined up outside. Our headmaster came up behind me (I didn't see or hear him) and put his hand on my shoulder. Without even thinking about it, I swung my arm around and blasted him in the chest with my elbow. He actually staggered backwards! That was horribly embarrassing, but he never touched me like that again.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Actually, my story is a reverse: something my principal did in front of me.

Just before Christmas 2008 I found out I needed radiation treatments. Although I had already RSVP'd to the staff Christmas party, I was in a real funk and in no mood to attend. So I stopped by his office, explained, and (predictably) was near tears.

So he very generously tried to make me feel better, explaining that Ann had had radiation, and didn't find it all that bad.

"Oh, Ann P??" I asked.

"Umm, no... Ann M." He responded. Ann M had died of cancer a few months prior.

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he wanted to take the whole conversation back. I knew exactly the effect he was going for, and it SO wasn't the way it came out.

So he recovered, and named another member of the staff who had undergone radiation, who was also not winning the battle against cancer.

(There were at least 3 people he could have named who had it for breast cancer and are doing fabulously, but they just didn't spring to his mind.)

Even standing there, it was funny, though I didn't dare laugh. But I'll always remember his generosity of spirit, trying to make me feel better.

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

this last winter, one of my pre-schoolers (the one whose name STILL makes me tense up a bit) decided that instead of getting her snowpants on to go home (we were running late on TOP of things AND I had a substitute aide who wasn't one who could discern situations well and jump in as needed) - she laid on the ground spread eagle. When I wanted to get her boots on, she played "wash cloth" and was of no help. I was cranking her last boot on, grabbed her under the arms like a big baby doll, set her standing up in line, blew the lock of hair out of my face, and started them down the hall. I was late, and the principal was none too happy.

Sheeesh....oh well.

26. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Right after my daughter was born, I had a little go around with vertigo. When I left the house in the morning I felt a little "different," but I chalked it up to sinus issues, took medicine, and headed off. By lunch time, I noticed I was feeling really light headed. By the time I had my first prep at 2:00, I was really a mess. I remember trying to walk to a friend, but instead went diagonally across the room. My coworkers took me to the admin's office. By this time, I was crying. I don't like losing control (the same reason I don't drink heavily). They had to call my father to pick me up, just like the kids. When my father arrived, my admin had a cold cloth on my neck, and had talked me into raising my arms in the air. Both things made me feel worse, but I as so embarrassed and touched by everyone's concern, I went along.

My kids went to the same school, so there were also many times my face turned red as a parent. There seemed to be a constant flow of perspective family tours, and many times, the admin. brought them to my room. On one particular "tour" day when my son was three, my son's teacher decided to bring him to me. He was in the middle of a temper tantrum, because he had to wear the purple dress. He really wanted to wear the yellow dress. Yes, he was still in the purple dress. The family touring also happened to be friends of my husband. Then there was the time he was curious about how far up tights go... Let's just say, the next year on the first day of school, when the students were discussing rules at community time with the admin., my son's contributing was "don't lift up a girl's dress at circle time."

Yep, my family kept the school entertained.