What the heck??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Aug 28, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 28, 2014

Okay, last year I had 4th graders, before that I had 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. I'm not one of those teachers who gets buddy buddy with my students, but I do establish pretty good relationships with them. Relationships where we can relax and not have a guard up (it's important to me that students feel "safe" and unguarded in my room) and my past students (a large number of them) would come to me in confidence on a regular basis. Trust, confidence, safety, and comfort and goals in my classroom. Comfort often means that we can joke together from time to time But seriously, this year, these students do not get sarcasm (my 4th graders did ?? but these 7th graders don't), and take themselves very seriously. Like today, I was joking with a student and a different looked annoyed and said to me "What is that supposed to mean?" I explained I was only kidding with the student and I would never say anything to hurt somebody's feelings.

So, anyways, I feel guarded in my own room, afraid something I say might be misconstrued--so just have to turn off some personality traits I guess.

Anyone ever been in this position??

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 28, 2014

I am very intentional about the use of humor in the classroom at the beginning of the year. I can be sarcastic and have a dry sense of humor, and I find ways to show that to students (and make sure they understand that it is humor) before I start "letting my hair down." There are some students that I simply cannot ever joke with, and I recognize that (and if I do ever joke with them without thinking, I clearly specify that I was joking).

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2014

Sarcasm isn't always the way to form bonds....truthfully, I don't like it at all as it feels like even though someone is kidding that there's a bit of a knife stuck in there...consider that even though students may be older and seem mature, this form of 'humor' doesn't always facilitate feelings of comfort, security and belonging. :2cents:

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2014

MS will be MS; some are more mature, some have major attitudes, some are more grown (but not mature), while some are silly as can be. At times, you can't predict a child's reaction to a joke or sarcastic comment; just know your kids well enough to understand their boundaries.

Also, I know it is hard for some people to do, but never let anything the kids say bother you because that's when you start to feel guarded or extra careful about everything you do. You made a mistake, you apologized to the child and now it's time to just keep it moving. Don't dwell.

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 28, 2014

I never thought of it that way. In my narrow field of vision, I have always "bantered" in this way and it is a sure sign of liking someone. It's very ingrained in my personality, I've got to work on retraining myself.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 28, 2014

I love to joke around in a way that used to always make for a great environment in my room. Then one year, I got a class that didn't crack one smile - ever. They just kind of stared blankly. It was extremely annoying and it never got better. It was a strange year.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 28, 2014

I try to use humor to lighten the mood in the classroom. But I am careful with making jokes aimed at students, usually I tell random jokes about myself (most of them I make up on the spot). Sometimes students will ask me about stories later and I won't remember what they were talking about because they weren't true. :p

Yesterday I had a student who I had last year(and this year) come into class looking kinda sad. So I asked her if she was angry at me. She looked confused and I told her that her facial expression looks like she was furious at me and I made a funny face to mimic hers. Instant smile and the other students who had never had me before lightened up as well.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

I like to be able to laugh and have fun with my students and I can be sarcastic at times. I'm very cautious with this, however. My students and I need to get to know each other first and they need to learn that they can trust me.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

I'm a very sarcastic person in general. When it comes to students though I have to feel them out to see whether or not they can pick up on it. Some have not picked up on it, even though my 10 yr old daughter does.