What the heck is IB methodology??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, May 12, 2011.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 12, 2011

I've had it with my current school. I can't take much more abuse from the administration. So, I've applied for a middle school math position at a school near me, and their website mentions something about IB methodology. I've googled it and can't seem to find anything concrete.

Anyone every heard of this that can tell me what it is??

Thanks!

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 12, 2011

International Baccalaureate program.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 12, 2011

:yeahthat:

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 12, 2011

The elementary IB school I visited had a full size band room with all the instruments; they even had a symphony orchestra. The kids had a ballet studio, music- where they studied opera, and regular classrooms. They were growing cabbages hydrophonically, selling them, and using the profits to buy books for the school. Google "International Baccalaureate". They have a great web site.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 13, 2011

IB schools are based on a philosophy of inquiry. Students are expected to "inquire" in ways that lead to learning. Good luck.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 13, 2011

This is my fourth year at an IB MYP school. IB involves teaching students to be more globally minded and reflective. The subject areas are interrelated and the arts is a requirement.

http://ibo.org/myp/curriculum/

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 13, 2011

Thank you all so much for pointing me in the right direction!!

9. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 13, 2011

Carlea,

How do you like working at this kind of school? What are the pros and cons, in your opinion, of an IB MYP school?

10. carlea

carlea Comrade

May 13, 2011

I love the ideas of IB - just more good teaching strategies - really gets the students thinking differently. But there does seem to be a lot of paperwork. I'm still working on creating unit plans and coming up with essential questions. Rubrics are completely different (with a different scale).

It may be because we are a small school so we each have more to do because we can't split the work with teammates. If the school you applied to has been an IB school for a while, I'm sure they've got everything set up so it won't be too overwhelming.

I went through Level 2 training last year with an online class (Triple A Learning) and learned more with that class than I did from my school's IB coordinator for 2 years!

Even if I worked at a non-IB school, I'd still implement a lot of the ideas because I think they're are really helpful for the students.

11. Ken

Ken Guest

Oct 22, 2015

The IB program allows for the program to fit the needs of various learning styles. It is led through inquiry. For example, rather than children being made to memorize math rules...the lesson would be incorporated into another activity. In gym class a child shoots a ball into the hoop, the teacher would then take this opportunity to discuss distance and measurement.

The teachers still have learning objectives and goals. The IB program is internationally recognized.

I support the IB program because it allows for students to be creative, fit what they learn into a global and "real life" perspective.

12. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 22, 2015

From what I've seen, the program looks awesome. The students seem to have a lot more opportunities than normal, and as someone mentioned, they do more with art, music, theater, etc. I would jump for the opportunity to work at an IB school, honestly. :) But I can't speak about it firsthand.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 22, 2015

Wish I could see an elementary IB program in action! It sound great.

14. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Oct 24, 2015

I think IB is just one small tool, one small part of the overall teaching methods.
    I have seen some really strange things going on in schools where students learn very little. It makes many of us wonder.
    I wonder if some saw it in action and decided that was the only way. Or maybe some schools administrations thought "the teachers are weak in employing IB methods, so let's make the whole school IB until everyone gets it, then go back to integrated teaching methods."
    I wonder if it is like asking all teachers - art, social studies, English as well as math teachers - to teach by using math methods only!

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 24, 2015

I'm taking an online IB class right now. Google the IB Learner Profile and that will give you a little more information. Im still trying to wrap my brain around the whole concept, but I would love to be in an IB school.