What terminology do you use?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by shellie1619, Nov 14, 2009.

1. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

I am in a classroom of 2 1/2 to 4 (the class before pre-K) and I was wondering what terminology do you guys use to teach letters. Uppercase and Lowercase, Big letter and little letter, Capital letter. I also have to remember that some of my children are only 2 1/2 and I would rather start with a more 'universal' choice of words so I do not confuse them when they move up in 'grades'.
    Thanks for all of your help.

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

Little ones are capable of much more than we give them credit for. It's best to use the correct terminology (upper/lower/capital) from the very start for consistency as you stated. If we use "baby words" we send the message to the children that they are babies and can't possibly understand what we are trying to say, so therefore how can we expect them to learn it?

4. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

So calling it both an uppercase A and a capital A will not confuse them?

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

They are both standard terms, I would pick one and stick with it, but mention the other. I tell my kids that some people call it a capital letter and some call it an uppercase but in our class we will call it _______ (upper or capital), they are usually fine with that and understand that there are two words for the same thing. English has many different terms that mean the same thing and the kids do fine with those so it shouldn't be any different for this.

6. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

Thank you so much Vanna.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 14, 2009

Just a comment on using correct terminology. I agree that we should use the proper words because they can learn and remember it. Have you noticed they ALWAYS know the correct names of dinosaurs and trucks?

8. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Nov 14, 2009

Yep, I have to agree with you maxadoodle, that is so true. If we were to ever call something by the incorrect name, we would be quickly corrected :)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 14, 2009

I teach K and am always wondering about this when I am teaching too. I think I switch back and forth. I always think oh maybe I should be calling it this, but can't remember which one I had called it before haha.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2009

I agree with Vanna. I call them upper and lowercase but mention big, small, capital, etc. sometimes so they have heard it. They are smart and get it.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 14, 2009

I have a variety of abilities in my class (low level SPE - regular typical peers). I use capital, upper/lowercase, big, little, etc. I try to cover the concept in any way I can to get it through.