What teachers really want to tell parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherNY, Sep 9, 2011.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2011

Forgive me if this has already been posted. Has anyone read this article? I think it raises a lot of great points. Thoughts?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2011

I really liked this article but I noticed from the comments that a lot of the parents didn't like it so much. But they were probably the ones that needed to hear it.

4. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Sep 9, 2011

Well said!

5. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Sep 9, 2011

Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 10, 2011

Very true! Very true! I can't even count the number of times I've told a parent something and then they ask the kid if it's true. If the kid denies it, well then it didn't happen. Even though I'm an adult and the kid is 5!

And the lawsuit thing is just frightening! I can't imagine that we've come down to parent conferences with lawyers! :eek:

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

And people wonder why the educational system is failing. Sometimes I feel there isn't enough faith and trust in us as professionals. I know there are certain cases when a teacher really just isn't cutting it (as I would assume is also the case in every profession), but I think there should be a unifying relationship between teachers and parents. Like a partnership. By the way, as a suggestion I once saw on here (I can't remember from who), I now have my credentials included in my signature on my emails. I have gotten so many weird emails from parents like "make sure you don't ignore my son just because he is going to have tutoring" or "all she needs is some encouragement and she can do it." I'm a teacher, I do my best everyday to support each student with his/her specific needs, but I also contact the parents with concerns because, well, that's my job. I create a positive, caring, and nurturing environment for my kids where praise and encouragement is bountiful, but it seems like some of my parents this year are questioning this.

Or, as my co-worker says, it could just be the convenience of email.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 10, 2011

What a great article! I'm actually changing my parent-teacher conference grades this year so I can avoid one set of parents-- the Mom has bullied me throughout my whole first year at the school and thankfully my principal is aware of it and has been super supportive!

I honestly love and cheer on ALL of my students regardless of their learning ability or behavior issues. When we have special assemblies and I see my students up there, I often have a bigger smile on my face than some parents. I only want the very best for these students. I wish some parents that I have would trust me and know I am an advocate for their child.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

Well said! The majority of teachers are in this profession because they are truly concerned with helping their students reach higher levels of academic success. We work with our students on a daily basis to do just that. With the help and support of the parents, we have a better chance of doing just that.

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 10, 2011

:2up:

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

I did comment on the other thread, but I was just thinking about this earlier this week. I can seriously tell a HUGE difference in my kids that have parents who are supportive AND work with them at home vs. kids whose parents don't do anything for school. One of my girls is a very, very low reader. She is now in 3rd grade and last year was making steady progress, but slowly. I was SO worried about her leaving school for the entire summer. Well, it turned out that her parents read with her and did the activies I sent home 5 days a week for an hour. They are awesome and they know she has an LD and are willing to do whatever it takes to help, without being crazy and overbearing about it either. This little girl loves to learn to, and her parents attitude about school only helps that. She came back from the summer actually knowing more than she did at the end of the school year due to all their hard work- how often does that happen, especially with students who have LDs? It really is amazing what we can accomplish for any student when parents and teachers work together.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2011

Waterfall, that's a great story.