What teachers make...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by awaxler, Jan 23, 2007.

1. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

This has been a particularly tough week to be a Manatee County school teacher. The school board and superintendent bullied a contract through that does so much more damage than it does good. Everyone involved suffers…except for maybe a few political agendas.

Sometimes I feel it is very difficult to find people who understand what teachers actually go through everyday, and I think this email I got the other day sums up the situation quite well…

What teachers make…

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, “What’s a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?”

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.”

To stress his point he said to another guest; “You’re a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?”

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began…) Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor. I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can’t make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental…

You want to know what I make?” She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.) I make kids wonder. I make them question. I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it. I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions. I teach them to write and then I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math. I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity. I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe. I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United States of America. Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.) “Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant… You want to know what I make? I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?”

THERE IS MUCH TRUTH IN THIS STATEMENT:
    “Teachers make every other profession “​

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2007

That is a wonderful post Adam! I think I"ll print it off. Than I'll hand it out to the "big" kids. I'll tell them that is what I wan to do. That they need to help me accomplish it. Hmmmm wonder if that will work.
    I'm feeling frustrated with my boys this week can you tell.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2007

I retired a quite a number of years ago still a relatively young man. I retired after I had met my life time financial goals, which meant I would never have to work again. Nevertheless I still worked some on a consulting basis for about a decade.

Now I work as a Sub. I enjoy what I do..... but only because I don't need the money. I can make more in one single hour of consulting work than I make in two days of substituting!!

Most teachers are drastically UNDER paid. On the other hand a few teachers are OVER paid. It is this part of the teaching profession that hurts the good teachers. I wish there was a way.... as in the corporate world...... that the good teachers could double their salaries and the bad teachers could be fired! :) :)

Major Hunt

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for this. I had a student, whose father is a lawyer, tell me today that I will never be as rich as he is. He's right, but oh well.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 23, 2007

I'd say one thing to a CEO com ein and try my job for a day.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2007

But you will be rich in ways that he may never be...

8. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jan 23, 2007

There have been severak versions of this, "What do I make? I make.... (insert witty, touching comment here)" story.

I really like them though.

I was a Human Services undergrad and one parent told us we may as well take basket weaving. Nice...

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jan 23, 2007

Angelhead,

In fact, we are teaching the future generations and the lawyer may hire one of your former students. You can say that I am the one who taught him and be very proud of that ...

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2007

Where is my thread I posted last week with this same thing? Did someone remove it???

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2007

I think it is over in Teacher Time Out.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2007

Oh.......thanks! I was just curious if it was removed because it was posted again! :)

13. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for the words of encouragement, folks. I am proud of what I do and I wouldn't trade my job in to be a lawyer if I had the chance. Although the comment did sting a bit. This kid obviously knows all too well that his family is rich and he doesn't have to work hard or be good to get things the rest of the class can only dream of. It made me sad that he has all the opportunity in the world and squanders it while others in my class have potential that may never be reached due to lack of resources. I don't know whose more at fault the kid, his father, or society but either way it made me feel pretty bad, but if anything it reconfirmed my choice to become a teacher.

14. Anpadh

Anpadh Rookie

Apr 4, 2007

Teachers are never over-paid when you compare the top teaching salaries with what the best athletes, businessmen, rock stars, movie stars, attorneys, and fashion designers make. I've never heard of even the best teacher making millions of dollars.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 4, 2007

Loved this, Angel! I used to be a lawyer and traded it in to become a teacher.:)

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Apr 8, 2007

If you want the version by the original author (Taylor Mali and not this mysterious "Bonnie") you have to go to TaylorMali.com (Haven't been here long enough to post links. He also has a portion on his website where he talks about people copying and pasting his work, sanitizing it and then posting it as being written "anonymously". You should listen to him perform it. It's really powerful. It's under the audio and visual poems section.

Edit: I'm not trying to condemn the OP for posting it, I just hate seeing work unattributed to the author (being a writer myself). I actually do love the poem.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 9, 2007

thanks, each1teach1. I always feel bad when original authors don't get credit for their work... I never knew who did this one :)

18. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2007

I heard this for the first time about 2 years ago and all i could think was "YAAAAAY!!! You tell him!!!!!" I was thrilled because teaching is the profession that makes all others possible. Without teachers to teach him law, that student's father wouldn't be a lawyer. Without teachers, their wouldn't be doctors or many other professions that may be vital to our society but teachers made them possible by providing them with that knowledge and structure and the urge to learn.. (puts her soapbox back under her desk) ;)

19. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Apr 9, 2007

each1teach1,

Thank you for posting that info about www.taylormali.com

I had no idea this was someone's poem...it was just a chain email I got that I thought was absolutely fantastic so I passed it on to everyone I know, posted it on my blog, forum etc.

I will now go back and give credit where credit is do.

I really like the audio version of the poem on his website.

Thanks again,
    Adam

P.S. Here is a quote from his site, "And if I had to choose between inspiring teachers anonymously or not inspiring them at all and, I would choose anonymous inspiration every time."

I guess this makes me feel a little better :)

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2007

And, Adam, that's typical Florida. Ya gotta love - and hate - it. (Ever read Carl Hiasson's novels?)

21. hueyx5

hueyx5 New Member

Apr 16, 2007

the best thing If ever heard.....You go!!

22. SweetAllie78

SweetAllie78 Rookie

May 12, 2007

Oh my Gosh! I can't believe someone said that to you! What was your reply?

23. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I hope you laughed in his face about how ridiculous that statement was. Like you would want to be anything like someone who would dare say that to another human being.