What Teacher Certification Requirements are required by your State?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tuankiet153, Jan 1, 2021.

1. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 1, 2021

Here in Texas. In order to become a certified teacher, you must
    1. Hold a Bachelor degree.
    2. Complete education program called Alternative Certification Program ACP (6-12 months).
    3. Pass content test ( for instance, math content test 7-12 if you’d like to teach secondary math).
    4. Apply for intern certificate and look for a teaching position. If hired, you will work as a full time teacher with full salary and benefit for 1 year.
    5. During this time, you must take the Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities test (PPR) with passing score of 240. If you don’t pass the test by the end of the school year, your teaching contract will be terminated. Test takers are limited to 5 attempts on any certification test under Texas codes. Candidates who wish to retake any of the TExES exams will need to wait 45 days after each attempt before registering again. If you have taken the exam five times and still not passed, you will not be allowed any further retakes unless the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) agrees to waive this limitation. That said, you must write a letter to SBEC to ask for the final attempt. The chance for the final attempt is risky.
    6. Pass the PPR, boom you will be granted the standard certification for 5 years long.

All steps are the same for all candidates except for step 3 which depends on your subject you’d like to teach.

Oh. What about your state? Wanna learn from your state.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 1, 2021

Kentucky (My Time Period)
    • BA/BS from an accredited institution.
    • Completion of an approved teaching preparation program.
    • Completion of core skills & subject area NTE (now Praxis) exams.
    • One semester of student teaching.
    • One year as an intern.
    • Earn MA within 10 years.
    Kentucky (Current) does not require the internship or the MA.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2021

I'm not sure that I understand why any college student who is attending a university in a traditional teacher preparation program, which typically includes student teaching, and the acquisition of a BA or BS in teaching, with a major field of study would need to take an Alternative Certification Program, since that is usually reserved for students who earned a BA or BS in any subject matter other that Education. Perhaps you could elaborate.

5. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 2, 2021

Yes. You are right. I was talking about those who earn BA/BS without a traditional teacher preparation program at the University need an ACP to get certified.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2021

My DH has a BS in math and computer science. He did a MAT in order to get his teaching certification.

7. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 3, 2021

What do DH and MAT mean?

8. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jan 3, 2021

Dear Husband ?
    Master of Arts Teaching?