What "teacher" books are on your shelf?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jun 22, 2016.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2016

Between my Kindle and my physical bookshelves, it's pretty obvious what I do for a living. What are you reading or preparing to read, especially now that we have a little time to ourselves?

I have:
    • How Children Succeed (read, recommended)
    • Helping Children Succeed (reading this follow-up to the first book, so far so good)
    • Look at My Happy Rainbow (read, highly recommended since the author is a former AtoZ poster)
    • Golden Climate in Distance Learning (read, recommended to new online educators)
    • Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners (read, highly recommended)
    • Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners (read, recommended for teachers of ESL students)
    • Our Kids (read, recommended more for elementary teachers)
    • For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood... and the Rest of Y'all Too (probably my next selection)

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 22, 2016

I don't have as many teaching books as I used to, since I didn't think I was going to teach after I graduated since my student teaching was so stressful. But now I'm wishing I had a few of those books back. Currently I still have the CAFE book, Daily 5 (both of which I'm hoping to read this summer), Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones, Visible Thinking in the K-8 Mathematics Classroom, Classroom Instruction that Works, and a couple others I'm blanking on because they're all packed in boxes right now... I also just got "Why Didn't I Learn this in College" which I'm super excited to skim through.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Yikes. I'll respond now so that I remember to respond in a week or two when I go back to my classroom, as most are there on the shelf (it's a 30 minute drive, so I don't have the same flexibility in going into the classroom as some over the summer)

As many have noticed with many of my recent posts, I have at home right now with me: The Book Whisperer and Reading in the Wild, both books I would highly recommend for anyone teaching K-6 or literacy at any level. It's going to completely change how I approach reading in the classroom.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  5. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 22, 2016

I have Harry Wong's The First Day of School as well as some law books. Now I need the classroom to put them in.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2016

If it makes you feel better, all my books are in my home as well.

monsieurteacher likes this.
  7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 22, 2016

For now, I am reading the book Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth. I am really enjoying it. With always having some students who could work harder, I am finding the book very insightful.

miss-m likes this.
  8. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 22, 2016

I wanted to read this and forgot about it! I'll have to make sure I buy this one next.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2016

Me too! She's referenced heavily in How Children Succeed, and her TED Talk is one of the better ones out there.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2016

I have a lot of teaching books, several of which I want to read and haven't yet. This summer, I'm planning to reread The Book Whisperer (in a book club for this right now) and Reading in the Wild, and I'm also going to read Kids Deserve It! soon. I also want to read Teaching with Love and Logic. I may read others if the mood strikes me. There are several I really want to read - In the Middle, Mosaic of Thought, and a couple of books by Penny Kittle.

Most of my summer reading focus is on reading some middle grades books that I brought home from my classroom library so I can make more recommendations and have more meaningful discussions about books my kids are reading. I'm also constantly on the lookout for good read alouds.

There is really too much I want to read... ;)

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 30, 2017

Since summer break is almost here - 17 days has never felt so long! - I've flipped through a few threads like this one, but I'm really looking for some good math books and most of the recommendations in the various threads are reading/literacy or classroom management-related. While there is, of course, always more to learn there, I've realized this year that math is the area I'm the weakest in and my students (3rd and 4th grade special ed) often find math challenging so I really need to get better at it. Any math must-reads?

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 30, 2017

Content-wise, I think that's just plugging and chugging your way there (Khan Academy is an excellent site: my mom actually used it to do some relearning of some math recently).

https://www.youcubed.org/mathematical-mindsets/
    Mathematical Mindsets, though I haven't read it cover-to-cover yet, is an excellent read. Anything by Jo Boaler is surely a great read, though...and take a look around the YouCubed site, too...tons of great resources. Since it sounds like it's the area you're least confident in, I think the mindset piece would be very helpful.

"A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra) " is apparently also a great book. I ordered it based on a recommendation from someone here or in my math professional development, but haven't started reading it too thoroughly yet. It's on my list for the summer, though.

I have more...but that first one should definitely get you started!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2017

I agree, completely, with these suggestions. I read Mathematical Mindsets last summer, and will skim it again.

It you use Google Apps, take a look at Alice Keeler's blog and books; she has some incredible resources.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2017

I pretty much exclusively use the library, so I don't own many books in general. I have a new P for this year and she told us in a leadership meeting that reading "Overcoming Dyslexia" by Shally Shaywitz totally changed her outlook on how she thought reading should be taught. It's an older book and so far not really new information, but especially since I'm a SPED teacher and there's a lot of conflict in my district about how disabilities should be handled right now, I wanted to see where new P is coming from. So far it's pretty in line with my beliefs/what I already do (which unfortunately is the complete opposite of district beliefs), so that's good I guess!

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 30, 2017

Teach Like a Pirate
    The Multiplayer Classroom
    The Global Achievement Gap
    Mickey's 10 Commandments
    The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs

Those 5 books taught me more about teaching than all my time in teacher training and it's not even close.

16. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 30, 2017

Teach Like A Champion
    Teach Like A Pirate
    Harry Wong's First Days of School

Gail Thompson's The Power of One-How You Can Help or Harm African American Students
    Growth Mindset
    Deliberate Optimism
    The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I wish I could say I have read them all cover to cover...but sadly I havent. I have skimmed most of them. Ones in Red I have actually read all the way through

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 31, 2017

On a related note, I wish I'd never read First Days. That book sure messed me up as a new teacher. It was sold as the gospel truth of teaching and I accepted it. While it has some good ideas most of it is far too authoritarian and disconnected for me.

MrsC and mathmagic like this.