What tasks do you have your para's/aides help you with?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Jun 11, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

Just curious.

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 11, 2009

Oh....I wish I had one!!

During the only year I had an assistant, she would help the kids with their folders, she'd go with the kids to drop off lunch money, prepare center stuff, help with some assessments, read with kids, do special crafts with small groups. She also took stuff home with her to cut out.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

In the special ed room, paras are invaluable. They supervise breakfast, lunch, and electives. They do bathroom duty. And they jump in lessons when I ask them to. Aside from that, I had them put up BBs and color/build file folder games all year long during their down time. If you're lucky enough to have an artistic one - even better. You can entrust seasonal classroom decorations to her!

5. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

I share a para with two or three other teachers. I always schedule my para in my room while I am doing centers. This allows me to focus on my reading group while she helps my struggling students, fixes the tape player when it has stopped working, redirects those who are off task, etc. It is truly a lifesaver to have her there during this time.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 12, 2009

The best thing you can do is find out what your aide is good at and what your aide likes to do and go from there. At the same time you have to be mindful that it is your classroom and you have the ultimate responsibility. Knowing that, go in with the intention of forging a relationship with the aide and you'll be fine. If you have to schedule an aide's time like newgirl, that's a different story and a different ballgame. We are thinking of doing that next year with all our aides becoming floaters and they will mostly be used for centers and to work at least 1 shift in the resource room. Traditionally though we can do quite a bit in the classroom if we are in the same room all day.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 13, 2009

Hey CNG - check your inbox. ;)

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

I agree with what one of the PP said. You have to know your aide/para and what they can and are good at doing. I think once you get to know them and they get to know you, you should have a good working relationship.

9. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

No aide or para.