What surprised you most?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by uclalum, Jul 24, 2007.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

This fall will be my second year teaching fifth grade. Fifth graders are much different than what I expected. I was so scared at the beginning of last year that they would be out of control. I had this idea in my head that only "little" kids believed what teachers said. Well, what surprised me the most about fifth grade is that they still believe everything you say!
    What about the rest of you who have taught fifth grade? What surprised you most?

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2007

I always thought that they all would be hormonal wrecks. Yes, I always do have a few- but for the most part they are great. I can teach them something, then give them time to practice it on their own.

I agree with that they believe what you say (for the most part). Mine also love a good story!

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

I agree. They still respond to "Let me see who's ready" or "Thank you ... for following directions." Mine don't start getting hormonal until mid March. College basketball and my 5th graders seem to experience it at the same time ;) .

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I think individual students surprised me the most last year...It amazed me the number of students who came to me to ask for "relationship" advice. They would tell me that they really liked so-and-so and wanted to know what I thought they should do next. (Not just one student...weird). Another thing that surprised me was how much they tattled. My class wanted to tell me EVERYTHING! I finally took a piece of chart paper and drew a stick man on it with a coversation bubble that said, "Hi, I'm Tattle Fred!" Stapled near his hand (as if he were holding it) was a big envelope that had a sticker on it that was labeled "Fred's Tip of the Week" (which sometimes changed to "Be respectful of others," "Be responsible for your own actions," etc. I told them that Fred had an envelope for them to put their tattles in. If it wasn't an action that caused physical harm or hindered learning, then it went in the box. That pretty much stopped the tattling. By the end of the first day, I had 32 little pieces of "tattle" to read. This year, I'm having a Teacher Box for those such things.
    Wow, that was long. Sorry.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

Yes! I had a handful of kids who tattle. I did my best to discourage tattling, however, I have to admit, I loved coming back after being absent and having my tattlers tell me exactly what happened the entire day!

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I was surprised by how many students wanted to stay and hang out after school... they're just as needy as the little ones, if not more so! They would get quite jealous if they saw me talking to my former students in 2nd grade. But geez, when they get dramatic it's totally crazy. Good thing that doesn't hit most of them until the spring.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

I LOVE this idea! It is so cute! I've heard of the teacher's box, but this is so much more creative!

9. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

When I was student teaching, the 5th graders scared me. They were out of control. So I was really scared when I got my job, but I was surprised how much fun they were. I was just surprised how much I loved them within the first week. I always thought they were so self-centered, but I was surprised how much they cared about my life and other people's lives. Also, how much they still wanted to be kids. I'd tell them what my mom was doing with her 1st graders and they'd want to do it too.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

The sense of humor of a 5th grader - most of them will get my implied jokes and can respond! The only other thing I was surprised by was the amount of attitude from some of them, it is a major difference from 4th, which I also taught!

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

There's a big difference between fourth and fifth. My fourth grade boys always wanted to fight with each other and act out. My fifth grade boys seem to get along with each other. That's what surprised me the most.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2007

The newspaper students I have in 5th are still very much as excited as the little ones from kindergarten I know who see me in the hallway. They have believed some of the strangest things I've said at times. They're also hilarious at newspaper meetings, but I've seen how they've majorly grown up in a year, too. They come up with some grand ideas.

And... they DO love to hang out after school and help, still! My fourth graders actually come back! :woot: (gasp)

I really love both grades, 4th and 5th, but I definitely know there are many distinctions. :)

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

To banish tattling simply have a tattle box and read out the little slips of tattle right before their free time.

Have everyone listen and voice answers, and the next time you open the box before free time, it will be empty.

My grade 4 teacher advisor for my first student teaching practicum told me this and she also had a "tattle toilet" which was hilarious.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2007

I need to banish tattling in 4th grade. We're... ok... but a few are immature about things like this.

A tattle toilet?!?!? :woot:

15. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

it was from a farm doll house playset. it's about the size of a honeydew melon. you could also use a trash can, with the idea that tattles that are petty are garbage

16. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

When I was a long term sub for fifth grade, I didn't realize or expect them to know so much. About everything. One student argued with me claiming I was liberal because I had suggested that the U.S. Imperialistic time period wasn't necessarily a good thing. Another student started to explain to me what an "orgy" was before I cut him off and banished him back to his seat. I don't know what it is but my Middle School children would never attempt to say something like that. I guess it has to do with how at younger ages kids arent as aware of how embarrassing situations can be for both parties? Anyways, I was surprise that they could be that "informed," and could hold a pretty good debate [even though I always said both the Rep. and Dem. views on issues.]

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

At orientation Friday, they were talking about support services or something and the large number of pregnancies my new district has a year. They have had multiple pregnant 5th graders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even have words for that! I am in a "country" school, so hopefully I will not encounter that!

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

HUH?!?!? Pregnant FIFTH GRADERS???? :down:

I am too in a country school, but... ummm... ermmm...

I guess we can all be amazed at times about how much experience a child truly has...

I did have a fourth grader last year who said to one of the other teachers in our grade level that he wasn't a hermaphrodite- and someone was telling him that he was half-girl. It wasn't even my Gifted student who spewed out that word. What has he been watching? :|

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

Well, it's like how my students began discussing the Taliban and Fidel Castro in Reading class last year... :huh:

20. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I don't think there is anything that surprises me anymore. I have only taught 5th grade so it is funny to hear other grade level stories. I do agree that they get your jokes and you can carry on conversations with them. I thoroughly enjoy 5th graders as a whole. They start to get attitude about the time they leave. I've wondered what 6th grade would be like.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

My district includes schools in a small city. So, as a teacher in the country (no stop light town! Not even a blinking light!), I am hoping I don't have to think about this as a possibility....

22. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

At my previous school, there was a girl in 4th grade who thought she was pg (thankfully she wasn't). The school ended up paring her with a mentor, and now she is on the honor roll (and has turned her destructive attitude around). I am thankful she isn't on that road anymore.