What supplies were provided and what did you provide yourself?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SF_Giants66, Feb 14, 2014.

1. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 14, 2014

I've actually heard of these different teacher supplies stores, and many of them set up different displays, posters, etc. and have some personal items they use for their day to day tasks.

Did they reimburse for anything, or do they have a set of items they supply you with?

I'm actually a very under-stimulated with senses and movement in some areas, so I am going to need a podium to stand while I do most of my work because I have issues sitting down for extended periods of time, and I actually would be more than willing to pay the few hundred dollars to get the equipment I need myself if they don't provide it when I start teaching, but I was wondering how issues such as that were dealt with as far as supplies and materials.

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2014

They gave me a desk, table, bookshelf, and file cabinet (the stuff already in the room) and a desk top from the 90s. I use my personal laptop everyday.

I had to buy anything else I wanted to decorate and stock my room with (from paper towel to chalk to copy paper). Never reimbursed for anything although I am always buying things (tissues, paper, pens, pencils, etc.)

4. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Feb 14, 2014

They didn't provide you with a computer? Most schools have records, communication, and student reports electronically now in their system, and the smart boards most schools have would require a teacher to use an electronic device which I thought they would provide. I know all the schools nearby here do at least.

5. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

I was given a laptop and whatever materials were in my room or whatever teachers were willing to give up. They also gave us a 275 dollar supplies check. I have also received two cases of paper in the beginning, but since the beginning of school I have received an additional case, which makes three.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

The public elementary schools where I've worked, in the western U.S., have been well stocked as far as learning materials like manipulatives, textbooks, and technology go. Schools buy new curriculum materials often, more often than necessary. There is very little money for school supplies or other items the teacher may want. Decorations, storage, and classroom library books may be from the teacher's pocket, or there may be a small budget (around $100) for the year. Typically there is a work area with copy paper and construction paper, and in the schools I've been in, they don't limit copying (though paper saving is encouraged).

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2014

In my 7 years, I've only been given money to spend twice. It was nice; I would buy consumable items with the money: folders, paper, markers, crayons, etc... If it was something I knew I wanted to keep, I always spent my own money on it. At my old school, anything purchased with the stipend belonged to the school.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

My school gave me furniture, a projector, computer and smart board. Every bit of office supplies or school supplies came from my own money, decorations, books, etc. I've gotten very good at finding retiring teachers and raiding from their stashes. I've also lucked out on furniture... the stuff my school gives is terrible, but a couple teachers bought some nice bookshelves and comfortable chairs, and I snagged that stuff when they left and didn't feel like moving it.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

S/he said they were given an old computer.

I got computer, projector, desk, two tables, student desks, filing cabinets, and awesome built in book shelves.

They supply a lot of our stuff but I like higher quality and pretty items. I buy most of my own stuff from there.