What supplies should I get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lollicatt, Jul 25, 2013.

1. lollicatt

lollicatt Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

If you were a brand new middle/junior high teacher what supplies would you write on your list to start putting together your classroom?

3. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Since I teach elementary I do not have specifics, but I will share my experience. My first two years I spent WAY too much! I would suggest setting up your room as much as you can with what is already there. Then try to make what you can. You can find awesome and cheap stuff to make on Pinterest. Then buy only what you must. Congrats on your new job!!! :)

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

I agree with the others.

And keep in mind that it is okay to start out with less than your counterparts. I spent WAY too much my first year (but then, we had to buy our own paper for the copier and my room did not even have trashcans). You will build up supplies and staples over time.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I recommend only purchasing supplies for yourself and only if you can afford it. If you like fancy pens or fun file folders, go for it. If you see penny sales, go ahead and pick up a few of whatever is on sale.

I have purchased some colorful three-drawer plastic tote things on wheels. They were about $10 apiece and they've served me well over the years. I've also purchased some individual plastic totes with lids, mostly at the dollar store or Walmart for very cheap. I love clicky, inky pens with colorful ink (mostly purple), so I always pick up a two- or three-pack of those. My hoosband got me a gorgeous fountain pen as a stocking stuffer last Xmas, so I'm in the market for some more ink for that this year. One thing I use every year is electrical tape to section off my whiteboard. This year I want to find some different colors besides just black.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2013

Lowes and Home Depot have a variety of colored electrical tape

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Thanks! :)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Oh, definitely pick up a portable hard drive! You're going to want to back up all your school files on your hard drive. I make a folder on my drive every year called "School 2012-2013" (or whatever) and just drag all the files in from time to time.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

And you mentioned that you enjoy purple ink, so if you're a fan of purple in general, I can tell you Home Depot definitely has purple electrical tape. That is what I'll be using to section off my white board. (My mascot is the monkey and our class color is purple). :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Woo! I've never seen purple electrical tape!

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I'm broke(moving before school starts, been unemployed for a few months) so I'm going to be starting the school year on a tight budget. So far I bought a little plastic box that has a locking lid. Its just big enough to have students turn in papers in. I like the lid because I may choose to take it home on weekends if I get behind in grading.

I went to staples 2 weeks ago and got some of the $1 scissors. I went to office max and got 2 packs of white board makers for $1(great deal they are the multi colored expo ones). I also bought a cheap stapler off amazon and a few other pens/pencils. I'm waiting for a sale on cheap notebook paper.

That will be pretty much all I have until I start getting paid. I have a rather large bulletin board in the back of my room and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I want it to be something functional for my classes but I'm not sure yet. (going to take another look at it on tuesday when I head down to my classroom)

12. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 26, 2013

This is a great idea, but I recommend a flash drive more than a hard drive. Hard drives have a higher chance of failing and you don't necessarily need the hundreds of gigabytes that is standard on them. Get a 32GB or higher flash drive. A 32GB should be roughly $15-16 when on sale.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2013

Look around other classrooms. Don't buy. Just look.

Then have basics. Add to it as the need arises. If you think, "I really need a _________" then go buy that.

I overspent on things I thought I needed.

16. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 26, 2013

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 26, 2013

I agree:

1. Wait and see what's there
    2. Ask about budget - will the school give you $$$ for classroom supplies?
    3. Get settled teaching and then you'll find out what you really need

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

Purple and green is a nice combination, too. ;)

19. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 26, 2013

This! My school laptop died and took everything with it because I did not back it up (I know...dumb). The laptop they replaced it with was a refurbished one so I just use my personal laptop and that way I feel okay taking it home. But I do back up my files weekly.

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

What are you all using the electrical tape for? I have 2 kinds of decorative duct tape, but I find that it leaves a residue on the surface. Ideas to share?

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Electrical tape doesn't really leave a residue. Sometimes, if you've had it up all year, there is a little buildup along the sides of where the tape was, but it's easily removed with water and a cloth.

I don't use duct tape because I'm certain it would leave a terrible residue. I don't use the colored painter's tape because it gets really dirty and dingy when you erase over it.

I use electrical tape to section of areas of my board, particularly for posting my objectives, homework, etc. Kind of like this:

[​IMG]

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2013

Thanks Caesar!

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 26, 2013

I used to share my room with another teacher, and she was always "borrowing" my markers, pens, pencils, highlighters -- then she'd take them with her and leave them in other classrooms. I put a purple electrical tape stripe on all of my stuff, and the kids all knew it was mine if it had a purple tape on it. They'd bring it back to me. What a godsend...

24. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 26, 2013

Check and see if your school has any kind of community office supplies as well. I bought a lot of things I could have gotten for free in the first month, because I didn't realize we had just lockers of all kinds of basic needs. Of course this year our budget is so slashed I doubt those lockers will get filled up too much... womp womp :(

I am really happy with any of the items I bought to actually organize the space in my room. I have little bins for supplies (they have some at the dollar tree right now!), trays for students to turn in/pick up work, etc. I was able to get most of this from looking at thrift stores as well so it really wasn't too bad.

25. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

A couple of flash drives would be good for school stuff, but everyone should be backing up their computers on external hard drives if they have anything important (like photos). It only takes one hard drive failure and the loss of years of pictures to learn that painful lesson. Someone also recently posted about the loss of everything on their flash drive, so if that's what you use, use two.